• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Disc Golf "Grand Slam"

How many events for a disc golf "Grand Slam"?

• Total voters

araytx

* Ace Member *
Discussion of whether or not disc golf should have a set of yearly events that define our "Grand Slam" -- similar to tennis, ball golf, etc.

If you think so, how many events and which events should they be?

I personally would like to see these four as the disc golf Grand Slam --

Memorial in Arizona
European Championship/Japan Open (alternating years)
Pro Worlds
USDGC

But that's just me.

Worlds and USDGC for sure. An international major makes sense too...European Open most likely since the future of the Japan Open is in such doubt.

As for the fourth, I'm not sure I'd put the Memorial on the list. Other than being the "season opener", I don't find it to be all that compelling of a tournament. The courses are less than elite, which I would argue should be a prerequisite for being on a "Grand Slam" kind of list.

If the fourth is going to be a current National Tour event, I'd lean toward either the Beaver State Fling or the Vibram Open. Picturesque and thoroughly challenging elite-level courses, great organization and atmosphere surrounding each event, and they always draw a deep competitive field featuring almost all of the "name" players from around the country.

I'd like to see one, either a Grand Slam or a Triple Crown.

Currently it seems to me that we have Worlds and the USDGC, and they are on their own tier, considerably higher in prestige than the others. The question is whether we can designate one or two others and bestow upon them equal reverence; or whether we wait until one or two events rises up above the rest of the NT/DGPT/DGWT/Other Majors crowd.

I'm of a mind that one or two will eventually rise, as the USDGC did, and then we'll have our Triple Crown or Grand Slam. I'm less convinced that we can contrive it.

The ams have one, of sorts, in the Worlds, ADGC, and Bowling Green. Bowling Green grew itself into that status.

Ok.. Good thoughts so far, but you guys need to vote in the poll.

I chose Memorial for that precise reason, JC -- it is the first big tourney of the season, and also because currently, the vast majority of the top players choose to play. And the players having to play right after winter season in a different climate adds challenge. We've seen a lot of drama and fantastic finishes at the Memorial.

I am a fan of four different types of events. Tennis has three different surfaces and different tie-break rules. Ball golf has different types of tourneys in terms of formats and lengths -- some at the same course every year and some events that move around.

And you can see that one event overseas creates the fourth different circumstance.

I think the idea of a Grand Slam makes much more sense for our top players. When I first got into DG, I thought the 12X World champ stamps were because Climo was the reigning champ, not the winner of just one of many tournaments played throughout the year. It would be cool to see Grand Slam stamped discs for those pros who complete a truly prestigious year.

And that's not to diminish anything Climo did. He won a lot more than just Worlds in his career. It would have been cool for McBeth to have a grand slam sig disc from last year's dominant play.

I am sitting here looking at a McPro Aviar with an understamp saying "Grand Slam - Five Majors Five Wins". I am not sure what Innova is calling "majors", as McBeth won just about everything last year.

But to the point of what tournaments are majors, and therefore winning them constitutes a slam, I'd offer these choices based upon what the pros seem to think are the best:

Worlds
USDGC
European Open
Memorial

? - has the Beaver State Fling, Vibram, or Ledgestone risen to this level? Or any other tournament?

Ball golf has different types of tourneys in terms of formats and lengths .

All of ball golf's majors are four rounds/72 holes long. The only differences are the locations (three of the four rotate courses) and their rules in the event of a tie after 72 holes (US Open 18-hole playoff followed by sudden death; Masters sudden death; other two four-hole playoffs followed by SD)

I am sitting here looking at a McPro Aviar with an understamp saying "Grand Slam - Five Majors Five Wins". I am not sure what Innova is calling "majors", as McBeth won just about everything last year.

Major is a classification of PDGA tournament, just like B-tier, A-tier, etc. And last year, the five PDGA Majors were Worlds, USDGC, European Open, Scandinavian Open, and Aussie Open. McBeth is the only player to win every major in a season since there have been more than two held in a given year (Climo and Schultz both won Worlds and USDGC in the same year when they were the only majors available).

Not a fan of The Memorial, Vibram, Ledgestone, Beaver, Steady Ed Mem. are all better events. I think the gold standard in disc golf is winning Worlds and USDGC in the same year, those are the wins that get your signature on discs.

World's and USDGC are givens. The question then becomes two more or just one? I would lean towards an international open but that would be a lot of travel and $$$. For a fourth open I'd go with any brutal ass-kicker of a course to balance out the lame ball-golfery of all these open courses, the DG version of the US Open if you will.

Major is a classification of PDGA tournament, just like B-tier, A-tier, etc. And last year, the five PDGA Majors were Worlds, USDGC, European Open, Scandinavian Open, and Aussie Open. McBeth is the only player to win every major in a season since there have been more than two held in a given year (Climo and Schultz both won Worlds and USDGC in the same year when they were the only majors available).

Thanks for that information. Definitely a starting point for further conversation along these lines....

A grand slam is four. In every sport.

The only debate is which four events would constitute DG's Grand Slam, or whether you think it should only be three events and a Triple Crown instead of a Grand Slam

OK, voted 3. I realize 3 is not a "grand slam", but it's an easier goal to reach. 4 would be good, too.

Grand slam should be 4. Thats the way it is. If disc golf haf one, it would be 4

So then comment on whether or not you think there should be a Grand Slam of events. Or if it should be a Triple Crown, or a FabFive, or something else. And which events should it be in your mind. (David, right now I have you voting for Triple Crown with you waiting for the third event to rise to the level)

Latest posts