• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
trying moon's grad. tech.

had to try a sunset, poached the idea from the 'sunset on the cliffs', northern MI style. still learning but having fun.

Nothing for a month or two and now 4or5 bang bang bang

picture.php

couple of new ones, learned a lot on the Stone brewing one, sometimes it's easier to stick the vinyl and weed while it's on the disc, wish I would have done that with the spiral, it was a serious pain to keep track of all the ends.
PainSpirzag1.jpg

PainSpirzag2.jpg

GL Pain did it with Aquamarine, for the subtle look, the swirls of the plastic showed through, thankfully.
Stone2.jpg

Stone Brewing Demon, no way I would have been able to weed around the wheat with it still stuck to the backing. My vinyl guy suggested I stick the intricate ones to the disc before weeding, worked like a charm! The kernels stayed down while the outline was able to be lifted.
GL River black and used the Aquamarine on the "moon" Looks more like an egg from the way we manipulated the vector file, but still looks good. Had a small bleed from my center hole, the patch didn't work out completely.

Nice sunset El Duderino!(I'm not into the whole brevity thing ;) )
Is that three different gradients?(red/orange/yella)
Thank You

Started with a yellow Z Nuke, sunshine orange(dry:3qts H20) approx 20 min drain, followed by scarlet red (same mix but less dye in the bucket). I tried to do the background lighter than the fore but over shot it. I propped the disc at an angle and zip-tied it flexed to creat the arc.

Thank You

Started with a yellow Z Nuke, sunshine orange(dry:3qts H20) approx 20 min drain, followed by scarlet red (same mix but less dye in the bucket). I tried to do the background lighter than the fore but over shot it. I propped the disc at an angle and zip-tied it flexed to creat the arc.

Very cool with the zip tie idea, let me know how long the sunshine orange lasts, I did that bronco's disc and it faded out to a very nice tan/flesh tone fairly quickly

If he started with a yellow disc it should stay yellow …right? I know what you mean about yellow fading though. I have the same problem with it .
El Duderino that sunrise is awesome and I know how hard that was, nice work.

Finally took a day and did some personal dyes, kickin' out so many dyes lately, if you're going to Charlotte Am Champs, check 'em out at Strange Disc Sports.

This one's been in my to-dye list for a long time, and I randomly selected it out of that list. The streaking is the natural "grain" of the plastic mold, but the black is sharp!
170 gram bottom-stamped Star Destroyer ;)
5846846331_c80ab62b23.jpg

5847405138_e8236f6aeb.jpg

5846846217_a7baecc75a_m.jpg

NICE DISCS!!! this thread is just too much fun :D Moon that Red, black and white one is like Haida goes to Chicago, luv it. Dude that is a sweet sunset (i did find a ball valve while scrounging plumbing supplies the other day...), Bennett, Fishy, Lxdawg, all excellent!

Here's one that is a response to a couple of frustrating days with inkscape, when I got to this one I said ?%#* it, simplify those bajillion nodes, I thought the results were fun!

funkycubes1sDSC_7945.jpg

Wow, all the dyes on this page look fantastic. Also, gotta love them s/ds bottom stamped destroyers :thmbup:

The results are fun on that Dan do you suppose I could have a copy of the art? Bennett do you think that's the reason Vader has such a breathing problem ?

picture.php

First Two Dye's

Yeah...these are my first two. The Smokey one I was pretty stoked about seeing that it was my first. But then got a little too ambitious. The Braves Dye was my second, and tried to remask this one with the seams of the baseball, and only let it set in the dye for 10 min compared to 30 for the "Braves" I guess I should have done the seams first, then the Braves.

Need to work on cutting, and then getting the contact paper on the disc.

Question?
How long should you wait between dipping the disc again?
And would blue have been okay on top of the seams (red)?

Here they are...

Dyeing Disc by CJ's Camera, on Flickr

Question?
How long should you wait between dipping the disc again?
And would blue have been okay on top of the seams (red)?

1. I dip the next color right away. Just give the disc a good rinse under water to remove any dye sitting on top of the plastic first.

2. Red put directly onto the blue woulda given it a purple color. You could have dyed the blue first...Remasked it...then dyed the red. When doing single color dyes there is no need to remask

Also make sure to put the disc into the freezer for 24hrs after dyeing to allow the dye to cure properly. Make sure to mix up you dye well. This will help prevent the splotchy color you got on the smokey dye. Give the dye a good shaking to dissolve all the dye particles.

I did a baseball dye a couple of months ago. Dyed the blue first..Remasked...Dyed Red.

IMG_0246 1.JPG

Last edited:
1. I dip the next color right away. Just give the disc a good rinse under water to remove any dye sitting on top of the plastic first.

2. Red put directly onto the blue woulda given it a purple color. You could have dyed the blue first...Remasked it...then dyed the red. When doing single color dyes there is no need to remask

Also make sure to put the disc into the freezer for 24hrs after dyeing to allow the dye to cure properly. Make sure to mix up you dye well. This will help prevent the splotchy color you got on the smokey dye. Give the dye a good shaking to dissolve all the dye particles.

I did a baseball dye a couple of months ago. Dyed the blue first..Remasked...Dyed Red.

IMG_0246 1.JPG

Sweet Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.