• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Hit Point

Joemic

Par Member
Hey guys, I'm a little confused about what most people call the hit point in some instructional videos (Shusterick's and Beato's for example). I noticed that they said something along the lines of allowing the disc to rip out of your hand as opposed to simply letting go of it.

I watched Shusterick and it does seem like he keeps his hand closed when he releases the disc. Can someone please explain how this works? I don't see how you can get an accurate release without consciously letting go of the disc. This might be a dumb question, but whatever.

Basically, just keep your grip firm, and when you throw the disc, it will rip out of your hand by itself. It sounds weird, but give it a few tries. It works really well.

I guess I'll have to try it out in a field or something. I feel like it'll just stay in my hand and fly off into the middle of no where haha. I was having a hard time believing what I was hearing in the videos but I guess I heard correctly.

What is the purpose of doing this? Does it give you more power? Distance? Control?

I guess I'll have to try it out in a field or something. I feel like it'll just stay in my hand and fly off into the middle of no where haha. I was having a hard time believing what I was hearing in the videos but I guess I heard correctly.

What is the purpose of doing this? Does it give you more power? Distance? Control?

The disc doesn't just rip out of the hand whenever it feels like it. The "hit" is basically the point in time when all your momentum comes together and transferred to your wrist which opens slightly and that motion "ejects" the disc out of your hand. Basically the momentum you put behind the disc when opening the wrist and accelerate the disc overpowers your grip strength. You aim by directing that snap in a linear motion, much like throwing a ball. Once you figure this out aiming your shots will become a lot easier.

Ok I think I got it. I'd imagine it'll take some time to get it down, but after watching the videos and considering what you guys have said, I see the idea. Thanks!

If you strong arm it or 'round it', the point that the disc rips from your grip will be random and horrible, as you are worried about. Like others have said, pulling straight and working on your form will give you a consistent release point and you're accuracy will improve greatly.

Ok I think I got it. I'd imagine it'll take some time to get it down, but after watching the videos and considering what you guys have said, I see the idea. Thanks!

You said it here. Once you feel it once or twice, it just takes reps to get the accuracy down.

I think the answer to the "purpose" is, it gets the disc spinning drastically, which is part of what you're looking for.

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about what most people call the hit point in some instructional videos (Shusterick's and Beato's for example). I noticed that they said something along the lines of allowing the disc to rip out of your hand as opposed to simply letting go of it.

I watched Shusterick and it does seem like he keeps his hand closed when he releases the disc. Can someone please explain how this works? I don't see how you can get an accurate release without consciously letting go of the disc. This might be a dumb question, but whatever.

Actually letting go would be worse as it would be nearly impossible to let go at the exact same time every throw. If it rips out and your form is right it should, theoretically, rip out at the same point every time. As long as your form is consistent and you have a repeatable throw...obviously thats that tough part though....

I was just getting it down after a few month of practice, but now I've changed something and its all messed up again...

When you feel it, you know. You will feel and possibly hear a popping/snapping sound, and as you watch the disc soar it will appear to behave like you have never seen your disc behave. When you do start to get that snap you will find that you will feel you aren't exerting as much energy each throw AND you have like 100' more distance.

Another thing I learned was once you get that snap you will probably need to adjust your nose angle down from what you are used to. For me, at first, if felt as though I was throwing the disc directly into the ground it was such a weird feeling putting the nose angle down. You really start to understand how these discs were made to fly.

Good luck! Hope it all clicks for you. I'm sure it will with enough practice. Play a round or two with an experienced player if you can. It will accelerate your understanding for sure.

Actually letting go would be worse as it would be nearly impossible to let go at the exact same time every throw. If it rips out and your form is right it should, theoretically, rip out at the same point every time. As long as your form is consistent and you have a repeatable throw...obviously thats that tough part though....

I was just getting it down after a few month of practice, but now I've changed something and its all messed up again...

This. If you look at a still photo of a pro at the end of their followthrough, their hand is still in the grip pretty much, exactly as it was oriented on the disc.

Grip firmness/consistency becomes critical as you get this feel down. I'm repeating myself from a previous thread, but the best analogy re. grip I've ever heard came from the old ball-golf pro at a CC I used to bartend at.

It's like a small bird. Hold it firm enough so it can't fly away, but not so firm that you injure it.

It's like a small bird. Hold it firm enough so it can't fly away, but not so firm that you injure it.

I like that analogy, up until the rip... if you squeezed a bird with the same force as that of your fingers against the inner rim in the milliseconds leading up to the rip, that birds eyes will pop out its head.

Its like holding a bird firm enough it cant fly away then suddenly and very quickly SMASHING it in your palm.

I like that analogy, up until the rip... if you squeezed a bird with the same force as that of your fingers against the inner rim in the milliseconds leading up to the rip, that birds eyes will pop out its head.

Its like holding a bird firm enough it cant fly away then suddenly and very quickly SMASHING it in your palm.

Yeah, good point, tease the little guy, lol! For me, I'm sure I tighten up through the pull, or what have you, but it's not conscious, so I go with the bird thing.

Well, that little bird goes all hulk when I get close to the hit, and I have to grip as hard as I can to keep it from getting away.

The #1 best tip to feel the "rip" is to make sure you're relaxed.

Next time you're out throw two similar discs in a row. The first one just throw normal, the second one consciously be as chill and untense as you can possibly be. If your form is basically ok with your hand close to your chest and such you are going to feel the disc tear right out of your hand.

Latest posts