• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Now we're getting somewhere. :thmbup:
I think the smashboxxers and the dg answer-ish crews are too close to the athletes around them to do much actual journalism.. Terry wants to be on friendly terms with the pro's so he can grow the live coverage operation and have good access to the athletes... Kind of understandable. Ultiworld doesn't have a horse in the race, so they seem to report things more thouroghly.. But I don't think they get the gossip and rumors straight from the sources d/t not having the friendships with people like Paige?...

I understand that Terry dishing won't happen because of those reasons but it would be sweet if he had one of his rants about her inside the smashboxx!

It's like the beat reporter for a baseball team. They know everything, but it's understood that part of the job is to keep a lot of things private unless someone wants it out there. Terry isn't going to spill the beans on this or anything else. It would make his job very uncomfortable if he started doing that.

This has got to be the scummiest thread on this forum.

Umm.. fans talk about sh**... That's how we show we care. There's some interesting stuff being chatted about. If we act like a bunch of politically correct, sensitive, emotional tampons, that kills the forum and we have nothing to get excited about.. Tim G. might as well convert this to be a place to discuss magic-the-gathering in that case...:thmbdown: How would you like the forum to look?

Now we're getting somewhere. :thmbup:
I think the smashboxxers and the dg answer-ish crews are too close to the athletes around them to do much actual journalism.. Terry wants to be on friendly terms with the pro's so he can grow the live coverage operation and have good access to the athletes... Kind of understandable. Ultiworld doesn't have a horse in the race, so they seem to report things more thouroghly.. But I don't think they get the gossip and rumors straight from the sources d/t not having the friendships with people like Paige?...

Yeah I would say I have working relationships with the players more than friendships, which is 100% my preference. That said, I've heard of some moves and not reported them because people have told me things off the record and I respect that. It's not going to help me in the long term to write that someone is making a move before the fact and having it get them in legal trouble. They'd never talk to me again, and disc golf is so small right now that "scoops" aren't the lifeblood of what we do. They're just a bonus.

Still, I don't have any lowdown dirty info on why exactly things went south with Paige and Prodigy. I've gleaned pieces from people, but Paige - even when talking for an interview coming out tomorrow - is hesitant to really talk about it due to legal issues. So, whatever it was, it wasn't terribly clean.

Eventually, we'll get there with being able to report on some of this stuff, but I also know we don't have the longtime capital built up that Terry has. I also know that, since our stuff goes in print, we have to toe the line a little more carefully between running fact and rumor, whereas a podcast has a little more leeway in that regard. Indeed, we save some of the rumor/speculation for our podcast as a result.

IMO PP handled the whole deal like an amateur.

You want to grow the pro side of the sport, then act like a professional and carry out your contract.

If the controversy started after Prodigy chose Cat over her, well then suck it up, perhaps she's just the better player.

She basically showed everyone that if she doesn't get her way, then she's no longer interested in being a good spokesperson.

If this was the real world, and not pro disc golf, then she probably would have been let go from her employment.

You want to grow the pro side of the sport, then act like a professional and carry out your contract.

If the controversy started after Prodigy chose Cat over her, well then suck it up.

She basically showed everyone that if she doesn't get her way, then she's no longer interested in being a good spokesperson.

If this was the real world, and not pro disc golf, then she probably would have been let go from her employment.

Devil's advocate: Many professional athletes express public displeasure with their contracts, so the situation isn't unprecedented. I don't personally have an opinion about things either way, just posing the big sports view.

Devil's advocate: Many professional athletes express public displeasure with their contracts, so the situation isn't unprecedented. I don't personally have an opinion about things either way, just posing the big sports view.

Well subtly bad-mouthing, acting unprofessional during interviews and carrying/using competing brand's equipment during competition isn't really expressing displeasure in a very constructive or classy manner.

Kind of hard to draw any comparisons to actual professional athletes when barely any of our "pros" act accordingly.

I played my first round of disc golf in Charlotte in the early summer of 2006. As sappy as this sounds, I had no idea that I was starting a journey that would forever change the course of my life. Over the past ten and a half years, I have been lucky enough to meet and befriend thousands of amazing people all because of this amazing sport called disc golf.

Here's a brief timeline in my life as a disc golfer:
Late Fall 2008 - Discraft picks me up, purely as a potential up-and-coming talent. Their commitment to team relations led me to believe that I would never play for another brand.
Summer 2008 - I win Amateur World's and realize for certain that my life will forever revolve around disc golf. Winning this event was a huge stepping stone in my career and I immediately began setting new goals for myself. I wanted to prove myself amongst the professional ranks and become a respected member of the touring community.
Winter 2012 - Prodigy Disc comes along and forever changes the face of the sport. It was very difficult to leave Discraft but this was an unbelievable, almost too good to be true business decision and overall just an amazing opportunity that no one could turn down.
Fall 2016 - After playing the sport for more than 10 years, the time had come to make a decision on the direction of the rest of my career. I felt like I wasn't committing myself entirely to my profession and I realized that I needed to dedicate myself more to my craft. The end of the season was fast approaching and I started to notice some things moving in the right direction, however there was only one big event left: The USDGC. After putting together three of the best rounds I had ever played on the Winthrop Gold course and an unexpected cancelation of the last round I was crowned the winner of my first Major championship. Honestly my dreams had never gotten me this far and now the door was open to a whole new set of goals and aspirations.
January 1, 2017 - After long and careful consideration I have decided to make a big change in my life. Today, I am EXTREMELY proud and excited to officially announce that I have joined Team Innova Champion!

Being from Charlotte, NC, (only 30 minutes away from Innova's east coast headquarters in Rock Hill, SC) Innova was the only thing I ever knew. I discovered my love of the sport playing with Innova and one of my earliest dreams in the sport was to one day be sponsored by the biggest name in the game. My best friend and roommate, Henry Childres, has always been there for me with incredible support going all the way back to my first ever PDGA event. It's important to me that people understand that my decision was not based on what Prodigy did or did not do for me, it was about going home and joining a group of people that I consider family. I have nothing but love and respect for the owners and team members of Prodigy Disc for the once in a lifetime opportunity they provided me. I know that they will continue to grow and prosper in our sport.
Lastly, I want to thank all of my friends, fans and family for providing a community that I would never want to live without. Your love and support means everything to me.

If you've made it this far in the post, here's a gold star, you roc :)

Copied from his facebook page!

Also Terry can spill the beans on this now, since he has had privileged info on this for almost a year now. Come on DG internet jouranalism!

Unless he agreed to keep it off the record.

The truth will eventually come out.

If the controversy started after Prodigy chose Cat over her, well then suck it up, perhaps she's just the better player.

Agreed.
How long does she stay happy with DD till she pulls this same thing with them?

Without knowing the specifics, I refuse to say PP handled the situation poorly.

I've had the pleasure to watch her play in person and she always seemed to handle herself with class. I've talked to women who have played with her and they were extremely complimentary.

Preferring to take their word and my personal experiences over opinions of internet strangers, I have no problem saying I fully support PP and am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt in the whole Prodigy fiasco. Especially considering how quickly most of the team left once their contracts were up. (Or, in the case of one of the initial investors, Lavone Wolfe, within a few months)