• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very well aware that I can unsubscribe from social media and indeed have done so. I'ts just not my thing. Maybe just an age thing, but I find it pretty juvenile and tedious.

Being part of the social media, you obviously have to cover you a$$, no problem there, but, not everyone, (and this is just a guess from my observations) gives a rats behind about it. It's a fickle market and the latest and greatest can change over night. DD could just as easily go through what Prodigy did, from everybody should get on the bus to no one cares.

And I am not an internet troll "thank you very much". And I have seen the backlash, and that may just be a regional thing, but around me, people are pretty sick of the DD fan boys. Social media can't replace being social in the real world. Most people just want to play disc golf, not spend a round hearing all the nonsense.

DD just seems to be catering to one market, and i'm not in that market. If they help grow the sport, fine, more power to them. I used to throw quiet a bit off DD stuff, but I have since traded it all away, I want no part of the class clown, attention seeking cult mentality. Again, that may just be a regional thing. So take that with a grain of salt.

Maybe it is just the people you play with? I have played with my fair share of young people who get a low level sponsorship and can't shut up about it. Way back from the Innova vs. Discraft days.

I'm very well aware that I can unsubscribe from social media and indeed have done so. I'ts just not my thing. Maybe just an age thing, but I find it pretty juvenile and tedious.

Being part of the social media, you obviously have to cover you a$$, no problem there, but, not everyone, (and this is just a guess from my observations) gives a rats behind about it. It's a fickle market and the latest and greatest can change over night. DD could just as easily go through what Prodigy did, from everybody should get on the bus to no one cares.

And I am not an internet troll "thank you very much". And I have seen the backlash, and that may just be a regional thing, but around me, people are pretty sick of the DD fan boys. Social media can't replace being social in the real world. Most people just want to play disc golf, not spend a round hearing all the nonsense.

DD just seems to be catering to one market, and i'm not in that market. If they help grow the sport, fine, more power to them. I used to throw quiet a bit off DD stuff, but I have since traded it all away, I want no part of the class clown, attention seeking cult mentality. Again, that may just be a regional thing. So take that with a grain of salt.

I agree, for the most part. I throw a mixed bag, mainly Innova and Discraft, but also have a couple Latitudes and an MVP. This being said, one thing I can say for DD, at least where I live, the DD "fanboys" are VERY loyal. Almost cultish, as you say.

That would be my disc golf nightmare. He is my least favorite pro disc golfer; and that's putting mildly.

I'm glad DD finally has Melton and Clemons...I really dig watching those guys disc and they seem like cool cats. Much better than Risley's asshatery or Choakley's tight pants.

OK BOOMER

I've been playing for 10+ years and I have more discs at home than some retail stores.

One thing I've figured out is that...there is no magic disc.
Some may fit your arm speed or throwing style better than others, you may have confidence in this or that, but there is no magic disc or mold.

You want a Roc or a Firebird or a Destroyer or a TB?
Yeah, DD and Lat64 and Legacy and Discraft sells one of those, they just call it a different name.

At the beginning of the day, when you stand on the first tee, you still have to throw it.
And it will go where you threw it, no matter who made it and no matter what name is on it.
And if you can't throw a Roc on a line, then you can't throw a Truth, or a Wasp, or a whatever.

I appreciate the disc companies sponsoring Pros, and I will admit to buying the occasional disc because of hype and wanting to support the player.

But, if you're buying a disc to change your game and make you a better player,
save your money and go throw in a field.

I am not subscribed to anything DD related, but still run into their drivel all the time. Whether it be Lindahl posting ever single one of this videos on reddit, chats during live feeds, or Risley acting like he won the lottery after making a 40 footer.

It's not unreasonable to get irritated with their brand. People should be able to express observations of companies without others acting like their opinion is keeping the sport from growing. This is one of the reasons why I prefer DGCR to reddit.

My first comment in this thread expressed my admiration for Clemons' play and attitude so it's not all negative for this company. They do have some positive things going but I'm not going to feel guilty for mine and others' exasperation.

I am not subscribed to anything DD related, but still run into their drivel all the time. Whether it be Lindahl posting ever single one of this videos on reddit, chats during live feeds, or Risley acting like he won the lottery after making a 40 footer.

It's not unreasonable to get irritated with their brand. People should be able to express observations of companies without others acting like their opinion is keeping the sport from growing. This is one of the reasons why I prefer DGCR to reddit.

Same with Jomez... :popcorn:

I watch ALOT of discgolf. . but i still have no idea what Nikko has been throwing in 2019. .

I have a few "nikko wizards and Magics" but most of the discs i see him throw have odd or no stamp

So whats in "Nikkos mixed bag of mystery" ??

Nikko throws whatever he likes. He isn't married to any one disc (his putting putter is probably the only disc he puts any thought into, and likely for the wrong reason). He has probably the best angle and spin control out of anybody on tour, which allows him to throw a much larger variety of shots than most people are limited to. Notice how he prefers to throw a shallow flex with a driver to land it flat/soft instead of throwing a putter or a mid. Why? No idea. He can pump Wizards to 400 so there's no reason to throw a much more complicated shot, but he does it and he does it well. My buddy played a tournament with Nikko where he threw a 450+ ft late turnover into a headwind. He threw a 168g champ Tern with a nose up airbounce to get it to ride and flip very late. Mind blowing stuff.

Long post on my part, but the point is he just throws whatever he feels like and he has no problem throwing a new disc in the bag if it means he can get some money for doing so. He'll figure out how to make it work so he's not worried about it.

Same with Jomez... :popcorn:

I'll admit that I was more of a Jomez fan when they were organic/grassroots.

Now that they've "set the standard" I feel like they (probably) feel pressured to have a CONSTANT social media presence. Probably good for fan engagement. But, for people like me, it gets annoying & I unfollow them in teh off-season...

Sorry Jomez crew, but the, "what are you going to throw on this sub-300' hole is just a trite attempt at engagement, and it works every single day... It only annoys me because it illustrates how stupid people are. Here's a 250' hole downhill with a guardian tree. Most common answer: I'm throwing an [insert new disc fansbois are squishing over].

I don't do a lot with social media, but I do a ton with the local club, and I will admit the Trilogy clan are the worst....

Sorry Jomez crew, but the, "what are you going to throw on this sub-300' hole is just....

Yep, it's straight from the "social media for dummies" playbook. Like you said, it works and many channels use that type of post as it typically engages the base. But yah..for those that prefer more info related to the channel itself, it can be a bit annoying. I personally don't understand why Jomez posts the "what disc would you use" posts. Disc manufactures, retailers, sure.. unless Jomez has an online store they're linking users to?

I personally don't understand why Jomez posts the "what disc would you use" posts. Disc manufactures, retailers, sure.. unless Jomez has an online store they're linking users to?

It's basically to get their clicks, views, and comments up when they have no other (meaningful) content. We must remember that people have the attention span of a goldfish these days.

Now, what was logging on to look at....

Yep, it's straight from the "social media for dummies" playbook. Like you said, it works and many channels use that type of post as it typically engages the base. But yah..for those that prefer more info related to the channel itself, it can be a bit annoying. I personally don't understand why Jomez posts the "what disc would you use" posts. Disc manufactures, retailers, sure.. unless Jomez has an online store they're linking users to?

The problem with social media is that in order to ensure more eyeballs, you need to post frequently and generate interactions with those posts. Otherwise, the algorithms ignore you and when you do post, they're seen by a fraction of your followers. And by fraction, I'm talking less than 10%. Kinda sucks to make a post intended to be seen by your (checking Jomez's facebook) 45K followers only to have it seen by about 400 of them. But by spamming with the "annoying" stuff, they're probably getting 10-20K+ views of their post instead. The alternative would be paying to "boost" posts which is not cheap at all.

It works in reverse too. If you want to see the "important" Jomez posts like announcements about new videos and stuff, you have to interact with more of their posts overall. Otherwise you're going to be among the 50-90% who doesn't instantly see their new posts in your feed. It's stupid.

I always find it funny when people complain about DD's "In your face social media". People realize that you and unsubscribe from any social media/player that you want. It isn't like they are jumping into public forums and shoving it in people's faces.

And by "In your face", do they just mean consistent? CoolDaddySlickBreeze has been absolutely awesome at helping to create a brand and promote it. Any manufacturer should want to give their left arm for someone as dedicated and talented as him.

DD does more social media than any other brand, and every other brand wished they could mimic and keep up. The only "backlash" that I ever see is from jaded internet trolls honestly. As long as DD keeps pushing the boundaries of social media and our sport keeps growing, there are always new people to enjoy new content.

Anyway, tune in tonight to our podcast to hear us interview Nikko Locastro. Live at 9pm CST on SmashBoxxTVs YouTube channel. SMASH THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON, RING THAT BELL! SUPPORT OUR PATREON! SUPER CHATS WELCOME! Stay tuned for our AFTERSHOOOOOOOOW! Follow us on Twitter and FB. Find me on SkipAce.com Fantasy Disc Golf website. Join us for SmashBoxxTV Unsanctioned as well. hahahahahah

I love DD and it was stumbling upon a youtube video of theirs that got me back into the sport after almost 20 years. Personally, I love their social media and their players. If I were good enough to be sponsored I would be honored to be sponsored by them.

Their social media is great if you ask me. I love seeing the videos of their players and the casual rounds, or doubles they post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts