• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Well, looks like I stand corrected then. Thanks.

Kona has lost 10points from okt-21 to okt-22. .

Her 939 rating makes her the 37th ranked FPO player. . and one of the highest paid, fine for her.

But any of the 36 players ranked higher might ask their sponsor "what does she do that i dont?" . .

But no WAY there is enough money in discgolf to pay all those 36 players $125000 a year.

I wonder if we are heading to a "few players get payed alot" and smaller teams? . . really hard to see that +100 players can get $125000-$1000000 contracts.

When PP left DD, that was a "last straw", I feel, in DG for "handshake deals", because as I remember it, she didn't have a written contract.
And when RW left Innova, that probably sealed it for Innova, too. (Sidebar, never heard what, if any, legal ramifications came from all that.)
This ain't your grandaddy's DG anymore.
"Grow the sport" they said.
Well, when you grow the sport, more money will start being an issue.
More money means........

Hmmm… Gossage may have signed? His profile looks wiped. (Edit: but I don't know if it used to look different)

When I looked at the team before making my predictions, his and several other pictures were still on there. 2 other interesting pictures missing on the team are McBeth's wife (Hannah) and best friend, Nick Carl.

Seems like a lot of players are pushing out their 2022 In The Bag videos. Very strange timing to do so at the end of the season...

Her 939 rating makes her the 37th ranked FPO player. . and one of the highest paid, fine for her.

But any of the 36 players ranked higher might ask their sponsor "what does she do that i dont?" . .

But no WAY there is enough money in discgolf to pay all those 36 players $125000 a year.

I wonder if we are heading to a "few players get payed alot" and smaller teams? . . really hard to see that +100 players can get $125000-$1000000 contracts.

I don't want to impede anyone's ability to earn a living, and I hate to sound like this, but...

Think sneaker deals and the cost of a pair of Nikes, or Reeboks. Obviously not the same kind of money, but basically the same concept.

If sponsorship $$$ keeps rising, eventually, it's got to be reflected in the retail price of discs.

For all of the Kona bashing, I kind of feel sorry for her.

Before her move to DD it seemed like her game was kind of falling into place (well, maybe not the putting). Almost seems like her new contract made her feel pressured to perform well and her game suffered from trying too hard if that makes sense.

I'm hoping she gets her head straight in the off season (and continues to work on her putting) because she probably has the talent to be really competitive even in an ever improving FPO field.

I personally have a hard time feeling sorry for somebody who voluntarily started a new job, is getting paid very well, playing a sport they love, and once again to hammer it home, is getting paid very well.

Like obviously I don't want Kona to be feeling sad. I don't root for her to do poorly or revel in it when she does not do well. but feeling sorry for her is definitely a reach for my brain

Guessing that Hannah will be working with the DGPT in a media role even more this year.

PLEASE no

The day's of six-figure contracts are over.
If you didn't get on the gravy train already, it's long gone.

Seems like a lot of players are pushing out their 2022 In The Bag videos. Very strange timing to do so at the end of the season...
less time to play means more time to watch videos & buy plastic

Seppo is retiring from professional disc golf, he made a film about his decision on youtube.

Off topic, yes, but here I go.

I'm curious as to how the relationship might change between pro disc golfers and the local clubs and volunteers with some players now being paid very well.

I feel that if the tour, the manufacturers and players want great courses suitable for both spectators and video than more money should be going towards that goal rather than guaranteed contracts for players. Additionally, the clubs and volunteers would benefit from these investments and their hard work year round.

Private venues are the path of the DGPT future.

Too many headaches dealing with municipalities and private venues allow for way more control over a polished professional sports product.

Private venues are the path of the DGPT future.

Too many headaches dealing with municipalities and private venues allow for way more control over a polished professional sports product.

We've already been moving in that direction with Jonesboro Open, DDO, MVP Open, Green Mtn, The Preserve.

And with Lake Marshall and Eagle's crossing entering the fray, I'd be surprised if we don't see them hosting Elite Series events in the next few years.

But there are still a few big name events I think will remain at their current public park settings:

Idlewild/LWS Open
Ledgestone
DGLO
... I don't see those going anywhere else soon.