• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Jay, Innova's Buzzz?

I wonder if the Mid Disc 3 / Metal Warrior was a one-time thing. I don't really see why they would have the same/very similar mold for 4 different discs in the same family. Jay/Chariot/MD3/Aurora and probably others I'm forgetting.

I wonder if the Mid Disc 3 / Metal Warrior was a one-time thing. I don't really see why they would have the same/very similar mold for 4 different discs in the same family. Jay/Chariot/MD3/Aurora and probably others I'm forgetting.

Mid Disc3 has different approval specs & flight numbers though. Latest run Aurora MS have no microbead & use a different top (not flat).

You could same the same thing about these discs with 'shared' Innova molds sold by different competing brands:
Firefly/Alpaca/Omega4
Firebird/Scepter/Draco
Max/Slab/Sabot

Some amount of differentiation exists based on each brand's version via stamps and plastic blends so far. Every store does not stock all of these brands either so direct competition doesn't really matter. Innova doesn't care if the disc sells under any of the brands that contract molding with them either.

It is curious that the rebranded Mid Disc3/Fairway Disc/Power Disc/Power Disc2 were PDGA approved under the Innova Factory Store instead of Innova Champion Discs. I assume they will not have wide releases or be available with Innova dealer order forms.

Mid Disc3 has different approval specs & flight numbers though. Latest run Aurora MS have no microbead & use a different top (not flat).

You could same the same thing about these discs with 'shared' Innova molds sold by different competing brands:
Firefly/Alpaca/Omega4
Firebird/Scepter/Draco
Max/Slab/Sabot

Some amount of differentiation exists based on each brand's version via stamps and plastic blends so far. Every store does not stock all of these brands either so direct competition doesn't really matter. Innova doesn't care if the disc sells under any of the brands that contract molding with them either.

It is curious that the rebranded Mid Disc3/Fairway Disc/Power Disc/Power Disc2 were PDGA approved under the Innova Factory Store instead of Innova Champion Discs. I assume they will not have wide releases or be available with Innova dealer order forms.

I know just enough intellectual property law to be dangerous. My guess is the molds approved under Innova Factory Store so as to further avoid any perceived risk of consumer confusion between their molds and Discmania's.

Firefly/Alpaca/Omega4
Firebird/Scepter/Draco
Max/Slab/Sabot

Why make something new and different when you can rebrand the already selling thing, keep selling that and then also sell the same thing with a different name...Murica!

Reminds me of the Aurora,
jay_ch_red_profile_2x3__49253.1663531076.jpg

https://www.golfdisc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/qms-all.jpg
qms-all.jpg

9-21-95_side_aurora.jpg

I'm with you--my very first thought was "So they renamed the QMS?"

Got it, I don't have a QMS to compare to but it feels an awful lot like how I remember that disc feeling.

As someone who uses the flat Sirius Aurora for many different mid shots, I can attest it reduces the number of molds you need. If they stopped making flat Auroras, and this is that mold now, I'm glad they are continuing production. Love the board flat beadless feel and versatile flight of the Aurora.

Hard to say the Jay is a Buzzz clone, seems like the Buzzz was always an Aurora clone, which came out a decade earlier. It's just that Millennium never gets the attention it deserves

This disc is screaming for a doobie related dye job.

I always liked your opinions on DGCR . . .

I still do, but I used to, too.

What does this even mean?

Just got my star Jay in. Pretty domey, Pronounced chin. Borderline biggest chin on a mold I've ever seen. Takes awhile to get on air. Lackluster results overall, fall asleep often mid show.