• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Rollo

Just picked up one of these and I love it. I've only thrown it in a field, but man is it fun. Makes me giggle every time I throw it. I love stupid understable discs because they're just so interesting. If you're on the fence definitely pick up a heavy one because you can actually throw it in the air and get some crazy flights. It's the most fun discs I've used in a long time.

Had one of these in the Infinite Discs cart for a while now. I throw a 1st run Wedge, how does this compare?

Between the Zone OS, Rollo, Avalanche, seems like a lot of manufacturers are going toward the extremes. The market is becoming oversaturated with "normal". That's probably too blunt of a statement, but what other gaps does Innova or Discraft have right now?
What else is left. Crappy, gimmick discs are all that has not been done to death. Zone OS, Glitch, Alien, Rollo....just novelty discs. Otherwise, a bunch of new companies are just pumping out replicas of discs that have been made for years.

Just picked up one of these and I love it. I've only thrown it in a field, but man is it fun. Makes me giggle every time I throw it. I love stupid understable discs because they're just so interesting. If you're on the fence definitely pick up a heavy one because you can actually throw it in the air and get some crazy flights. It's the most fun discs I've used in a long time.
Can you explain what kind of crazy flights you got?
Do you see a real use for this or will it be too flippy for most players?

What else is left. Crappy, gimmick discs are all that has not been done to death. Zone OS, Glitch, Alien, Rollo....just novelty discs. Otherwise, a bunch of new companies are just pumping out replicas of discs that have been made for years.
I get what you're saying but I don't entirely agree. I think there are still several ranges of "regular" disc golf discs that are relatively unexplored or underrepresented, for example:
  • Shallow midranges, there are some, notably MVP's, but they're still very much a minority and it can be very hard to find good shallow midranges of certain stabilities. This is, I think, a big contributor to why midranges are much less popular with forehand dominant players
  • Small diameter midranges, again, MVP kind of leads the way here, but even their mids are usually in the 21.4-21.5 diameter range vs the usual 21-21.2 range for putters and drivers. There's nothing but history and norms that says midranges habe to be wider diameter
  • Fast mids/slow fairways. As you get into the teebird-ish speed range you start getting tons of fairways and there's plenty of 1.3cm rim width mids, but discs like Pyro, Kaxe and even Leopard are still few and few and far between
  • 10ish speed discs. There's tons of 9 speeds and a few "fake 10"(hi PD) and plenty of 11 speeds but in the 10 speed range you've got like Orc, Invictus, Beast and a handful of others, almost none outside of Innova. I feel like the first few offerings maybe didn't get as much love as their 11-12 speed counterparts and with them usually being marketed as "distance drivers" but not going as far as faster discs they tend to get overlooked a bit, but there's plenty of room there and marketing them as proper control drivers or distance discs for slower arm speeds could open up a whole new game for some companies and players
  • Wide diameter (21.5-21.9cm) drivers and putters and even shallower putters. I don't think the few of those I've tried were any good and I don't think they'd be useful for most player, but for the sake of completeness I figured I'd include them

As a general. Flippy discs reward good form with CRAZY amounts of (effortless) distance.
As a consumer who fondled one but did NOT purchase it. I am miffed.

The Glitch is amazing and based on initial reviews so are the Alien and Rollo.

Why so salty?

The Glitch is amazing and based on initial reviews so are the Alien and Rollo.

Why so salty?
They are just a gimmick. I have no qualms with those who are to be soon parted with their money.

OIP._cav1khHwvo23ZHi5Mgn5AHaHa

It will be a useful disc for me. I'm LHBH with no forehand so I need some flippy stuff. I haven't had a disc in a while that I can throw on a lot of hyzer and it flip all the way over, panning super far left and then a tiny bit of fade at the end. It's so flippy it's almost easy to control the flip point because it's so predictable. On top of that the rollers from almost any angle you want.

They are just a gimmick. I have no qualms with those who are to be soon parted with their money.

OIP._cav1khHwvo23ZHi5Mgn5AHaHa
Yeah. Gimicks. and trick shots suck, especially when you can lower your score with them, and/or use A LOT less energy you would otherwise just be stymied with, and get pissy over.
i.e. woods golf.

I just bought one of these because I didn't have an understable mid in the cart. I'm no expert at throwing rollers, but with this disc it's child's play. It can also be made to fly on a normal right hand path too.

Innova has more disc molds in production right now than anyone else, as far as I can gather. By my count, nearly 90 molds are in production, and dozens more sold in limited runs. So they have more slots covered than any other manufacturer, and can get more mileage by creating new molds that are unique like the Juggernaut, Alien, and Rollo. They may not become best-sellers, but they might still provide a fair bit of revenue. I suspect the Rollo may end up with the most sales out of those 3, for example.

Got mine in the mail Friday. My game is throwing really flippy stuff on hyzer. Distance is probably 300'ish and I'm seeing more and more of those 330+ foot throws. I throw putters and mids probably 200-250. I have a super beat up Stratus that flips up and gives me this beautiful late turn. I figured I could maybe get better at rollers or find something to replace the Stratus since it is OOP.

Threw it in the field Friday. Anything forehand wants to get on the ground. I threw it backhand and couldn't throw a roller (admitted, I didn't try to force one over, I just threw on hyzer). Or at least a useful one. It would get to the ground fast, but too fast to stand up, and would just cut roll. I threw one that ended up behind my teepad. I then tried some airshots throwing on hyzer. It gave me some beautiful turning airshots and probably went about 30-50 feet past my Stratus consistently. I started dreaming of throwing it on all these holes where my Stratus gives me a beautiful flight, but I end up C2 because it is just out of my range.

Took it out to the course yesterday. And struggled to find a use for it. It turns so early that it isn't very useful for any of the holes I had in mind. And can't really think of a hole that I played in east Tennessee that matches its flight.

Yeah I think just as we can go too overstable with some discs, so they don't travel as far because they fade hard and just want to dive to the ground - we can do the same with too understable discs, and they end up rolling too early and strong and end up cut rolling into the ground and spinning out. I plan on getting one of these and testing them out myself, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.

Latest posts