• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Tosy Discs - New Brand

BillFleming

* Ace Member *
There's a new manufacture of discs (yeah, another one), but this one is unique. The company is Tosy and they have 4 PDGA approved discs (each comes in two versions - Smart and UltraLED), but seem to be working on 2 more. What is unique about them? Two things:

1. they have LEDs built-in (both the Smart and UltraLED versions)
2. they connect to your smartphone to show flight information and help you find a lost disc (only the Smart version).

I have two links below. One is to the PDGA Approval page and the other is to TOSY's 'pre-order' site. Their pre-order site shows the types of discs (flight numbers, etc) near the middle of the page.

The name is the speed, so S3 is a 3 speed disc. They are quite expensive - $120 a disc for the smart version, $64 for the Ultra (no smart features, just LEDs).

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs?manufacturer=290651

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...2a9125|a46522b7-3cb6-42b8-bc36-a10adeac5181#/

If they fly well it would be a fun way to play glow thats for sure. Just not sure if it would be $120 worth of fun.

If they fly well it would be a fun way to play glow thats for sure. Just not sure if it would be $120 worth of fun.

And that is for ONE disc. Sure wouldn't want to lose it in a pond/lake. I do like the idea of the Smart version for training. You can see the flight path and things like speed, rotation, etc on your phone after throwing.

Personally, I don't see they will do well at the price they are asking. Maybe after they get up and running the price will come down to somewhat reasonable.

That's very cool tech, but the price tag will probably make them a high end training tool rather than an on the course disc.

That's very cool tech, but the price tag will probably make them a high end training tool rather than an on the course disc.

That's what I thought and I really debated with myself as to whether this topic belonged in 'Discs' or the threads more related to training/form.

But they are new discs....so here is where it ended up (I don't like posting the same thing in multiple places).

That's what I thought and I really debated with myself as to whether this topic belonged in 'Discs' or the threads more related to training/form.

But they are new discs....so here is where it ended up (I don't like posting the same thing in multiple places).

I agree they are discs, you put it in the right place. They just may have a different life cycle than most of the plastic we talk about.

Looks like they float and are waterproof...but also looks like their high speed smart driver shattered at medium to high impact during testing and so they've delayed the launch/shipping until they figure out why.

Looks like they float and are waterproof...but also looks like their high speed smart driver shattered at medium to high impact during testing and so they've delayed the launch/shipping until they figure out why.

That would explain why only 4 have been approved so far. I like the idea of the Smart version and would love to have the full set or at least one....but it's out of my budget. Maybe when I hit the lottery. :D

That would explain why only 4 have been approved so far. I like the idea of the Smart version and would love to have the full set or at least one....but it's out of my budget. Maybe when I hit the lottery. :D

If they were fully approved and shipping right now, I'd probably spring for the set of 6. They're a little less expensive if you buy in bulk. I live in an area that's going to be snowy & cold for the next 4-5 months, and this would be a great little fun thing to do at my indoor putting league. Throw these into a net and check the results, make it into a little game.

I guess the PDGA rewrote the disc specs to allow for these things. Not a fan.

With more and more night rounds and glow rounds, I like the idea of approved discs with LEDs incorporated into the disc.

I think the Smart function is more of a training feature. I'm not sure I would use it in a tournament or league play.

But the cost.....I really don't see these as being designed for actual players...more as a resource for instructors/trainers and that probably isn't a big market.

Don't see a market for these either, but what do I know? Cheapskates like me aren't who they're after.

People pay a bunch of $ for CE, I'm sure there are people drooling over these. Are there enough of those people are out there?

I agree that it looks like a cool training tool, basically almost like a first generation of our equivalent to golf's flightscope type technologies.

On the other hand, I think most players would get more mileage from their money / progress on their game by buying a stack of 10 of their go-to disc and doing field work.

I agree that it looks like a cool training tool, basically almost like a first generation of our equivalent to golf's flightscope type technologies.

On the other hand, I think most players would get more mileage from their money / progress on their game by buying a stack of 10 of their go-to disc and doing field work.

For training, the thing the Smart versions provide that you can't get from just throwing discs is the speed and rotation information. I think that would be extremely helpful, but not at that cost.

Now if I was a instructor/trainer for disc golf, I'd buy a set to provide better feedback to students. They would pay for themselves over time. I'd record a student's data at the beginning of the lessons and then again after. Also, suggest they come back in 6 months after their lessons end to see how things have changed.

I have thought about buying a set, letting people know I have them, and for $10 let them throw them in a field to see what their 'data' is. No lessons, no tips....just "I'll be at the field on this day/time with the discs. If you are interested in feedback about your throws...show up and pay me $10 for 15 minutes throwing (or whatever time I think would be best)".

For training, the thing the Smart versions provide that you can't get from just throwing discs is the speed and rotation information. Now if I was a instructor/trainer for disc golf, I'd buy a set to provide better feedback to students.

I think currently this is the most practical application of this technology in our game. I've attached a couple pictures of the ball golf flightscope technology in case you haven't seen it. To my knowledge, most teaching pros these days are using it, it's practically expected that top end clubs will have one. We might eventually get similar help from a technology like this, especially if it evolves to offer even more types of data.

I have thought about buying a set, letting people know I have them, and for $10 let them throw them in a field to see what their 'data' is.

As a stats nerd, I would bite. I wouldn't buy the discs for myself, so this would be a cheap way to check it out. No different than I'd pay somebody 10 bucks to do a set of drives on a high quality radar gun.

You probably couldn't make a lot, but if you love being around disc golf in general I think this would be a fun pursuit.

Attachments

• flightscope.jpg
    flightscope.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 12
  • flightscope1.jpg
    flightscope1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 11
Didn't a couple of companies already try this? I think the Westside Destiny had support for a device. There was another company as well... I believe they even had a similar name to the one in the OP. They had a putter with a built in led

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Didn't a couple of companies already try this? I think the Westside Destiny had support for a device. There was another company as well... I believe they even had a similar name to the one in the OP. They had a putter with a built in led

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Tobu Ping? It was a 9 speed driver. It had tracking and an LED.

Latest posts