• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gateway Spell

texasissouth

Double Eagle Member
Didn't see a thread for this, but I was hanging around a Gateway sponsored guy (Evan) and he was singing this discs praises. True 12 speed, allegedly high glide no turn.

The URL for this seems.... incorrect but it's right I guess haha.

Spell-cobalt-5_1800x1800.jpg

Got my hands on a Spell this weekend in their hemp plastic. It is stable, reminds me more of an enforcer than anything else. Seems glidey but not particularly fast.

I agree with Enforcer comp.

Not the longest flyer but very comfy and reliable.

Very firmly in the 12, 3, 0, 3 slot which is capable of FH lines as well as powerful BH shots.

Also the plastic is shockingly nice - have you been helping Gateway pick premium blends?
Actually no. DaveMac purchased a new molding machine last year I believe that really improved their ability to run premium plastics.

They have been making some incredible discs the last year.

I think the premium blends that Gateway is cranking out is superior to anything Innova/Discraft have ever done. Very much on par with Trilogy and Prodigy in terms of feel and performance.

It's amazing having Gateway being our local manufacturer AND creating discs for RDG. Their consistency has become increasingly impressive, their molds are SO STEADY and I am playing some fantastic DG using just St. Louis made discs.

The spell is great, the glide is surprising for how HSS it is. Bio Enforcer or Chaos Stamped S-PD2s are the comparisons I would lean on. Great addition to the line up.

Though Gateway did the high speed stuff first, they really haven't had stand outs and the Spell has a chance of being one. I think in a sense they were ahead of their time and the shallower (1mm) rims vs the later released Wraith/Destroyer era discs may have been a put off. Illusions and Spirits went so far for the amount of control and wind resistance they gave. True 12 speeds when Innova had just come out with beasts and orcs. The good runs of Blurr also smashed.

After the Blurr (around the time Destroyer came out a year or so after Spirits and Illusions) and the quest stuff it seemed like it was at lease a decade before Gateway attempted a high speed driver, they just focused on their money maker P&A and mids.

Actually no. DaveMac purchased a new molding machine last year I believe that really improved their ability to run premium plastics.

I think the premium blends that Gateway is cranking out is superior to anything Innova/Discraft have ever done. Very much on par with Trilogy and Prodigy in terms of feel and performance.

It's amazing having Gateway being our local manufacturer AND creating discs for RDG. Their consistency has become increasingly impressive, their molds are SO STEADY and I am playing some fantastic DG using just St. Louis made discs.

The latest runs of old favorites as well as the newer molds (Chameleon and Iguana particularly) have definitely been a step up from everything but the most boutique old runs from the Gateway factory. Things just seem to mold up tighter.

Let's goooo!!

got me of these guys and it's a bomber my first three throws were 420, 435, 460 forehands. It can take some pop and only turned over when I was being stupid.
The Spell is money, and 2 new 12 speeds (Realm and Ether) are just as perfect with more glide and distance potential!

The Spell is money, and 2 new 12 speeds (Realm and Ether) are just as perfect with more glide and distance potential!

Are they as stable under speed as the Spell?

Are they as stable under speed as the Spell?
They are both very torque resistant. I throw 550+ backhand and a standard Realm on a full power throw will hold a small turn for a bit but then reliably come back. Ether is less stable but still handles power very well. Tends to turn a bit more and fade less. Also, the Reptilian Carnivore is the same mold as the Ether just branded differently. The Carnivore might have an NXT blend of plastic that is specific to it which explains the difference in flight numbers.

550'+ is awesome.
I like watching guys with real power throw flex bombs with disc that are straight to early fade for me.

550'+ is awesome.
I like watching guys with real power throw flex bombs with disc that are straight to early fade for me.
It is really nice to have.
It definitely makes discs perform differently. For example, the Gateway Blade was retooled earlier this year and was supposed to be beefy like a Firebird. I had a 1000+ rated player hand me one to throw on a 350 dogleg left hole. I proceed to throw it dead straight 70 feet long over the road OB. I'm like, I thought it was supposed to be stable and he's like it is for me lol.

It is really nice to have.
It definitely makes discs perform differently. For example, the Gateway Blade was retooled earlier this year and was supposed to be beefy like a Firebird. I had a 1000+ rated player hand me one to throw on a 350 dogleg left hole. I proceed to throw it dead straight 70 feet long over the road OB. I'm like, I thought it was supposed to be stable and he's like it is for me lol.
The Blade was never supposed to be as stable as FAF Firebirds or anything of the sort. It was made to rival the Sexton Firebird which is the optimal stability for 95% of players looking for that 9 speed overstable flex disc. Some versions of HD are more overstable, and the Spirit will fill that slot for anyone with 450-550 feet of flex power.

The Blade was never supposed to be as stable as FAF Firebirds or anything of the sort. It was made to rival the Sexton Firebird which is the optimal stability for 95% of players looking for that 9 speed overstable flex disc. Some versions of HD are more overstable, and the Spirit will fill that slot for anyone with 450-550 feet of flex power.
Spirit is a great disc but the ones I have go too far for this slot. The superglow and HD ones I have can go pretty darn far and when I'm wanting a FAF Firebird type disc I want one I can't throw 400+

Cory told me originally they wanted to retool it again because it didn't come out stable enough but maybe they were trying to make one mold work across various stabilities. You work there so you know better than I do LOL. I agree with Moose, Spirit is the right stability but is just too fast and goes to far for that slot. They just don't have enough control at shorter range.

Cory told me originally they wanted to retool it again because it didn't come out stable enough but maybe they were trying to make one mold work across various stabilities. You work there so you know better than I do LOL. I agree with Moose, Spirit is the right stability but is just too fast and goes to far for that slot. They just don't have enough control at shorter range.
We have been working on some more stable runs, but it would almost take us making illegal discs (which the FAF Firebirds technically are) that are super stiff. If you need a really stable one, I believe we have a couple old HD left in the pro shop. Shoot me or Cory a message, and we will hook it up!