• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Berg-X

I like the Berg, but I don't need one that's more stable. What I need is something that flies like a Berg but feels like a Zone. My tiny little baby hands find the Berg a bit deep. I think it's because my thumb sits more or less on top of the thumb track. Works fine for backhands, but I have trouble getting a clean forehand release. It wants to hang on my fingers. Haven't found anything for approaches yet that flies as dead straight on the forehand but feels better.

Fellow Berg thrower with baby hands. Try the Lone Star Armadillo (slightly less stable out of the box than the Berg) or the even smaller rim Copperhead (slightly more stable out of the box than the Berg) Both are shallow thumb track 1 and 2 speed discs respectively and felt much more reliable on forehand. Their Victor plastics (soft and hard) are very similar to Kastaplast K3 and the thumb tracks are very shallow compared to the Berg. I ended up bagging a Copperhead and a Berg until I beat the Copperhead in enough to replace the Berg.

Berg thrower here. Love that it hits and sticks - and that's how I use it (and I love how it hits and sticks - the chains - from 160' out).

Not just the Berg, but this all strikes me as examples of brand extension - a classic marketing tactic. Now that you know and trust the brand name, why not try this version? And then that version? Oh and hey - don't forget our special Holiday Edition.

It's an easy sale, because you're already bought one of them, and you might be afraid of missing out on a version that might be even better. It's much easier to get a Berg owner to buy a slightly different Berg than to look at something with a completely different name or brand.

Brand Loyalty is a thing, and manufacturers want to use it to the extent possible. And disc manufacturers have gotten really smart about brand management: there's the overall brand (Discraft), there's the associated brand (McBeth), and there are sub-brands (the Buzzz). Hell, they're even trying to make recognizable brands out of their plastics (well, everybody except Prodigy that is....).

I have a Berg, a Jarn, and a Reko X. I rarely throw the Reko.

A Berg z....that I could probably get behind.

BergZ? That's the Armadillo

I think it sounds useful. Not for like 150'+ upshots in strong winds, more like anhyzer flex shots, 80' layups in strong winds, iddy biddy spike hyzers, forehand rollers.

Big Berg fan here...you described a Stego lol

This is correct.

Yes, however the Stego's extreme OS comes with high amounts of spin and velocity, hopefully this will behave like that but in a more normal feel and at less than full bore.

That's the beauty of the stego though, it behaves more mild thrown at lower speeds. If I throw my Stego at 40-50% like I would for a 120' Berg approach it flies very similarly the first half of the flight except flexes hard at the end and lands on edge. Now a 80% 215' Berg shot thrown with the stego and the stego will flex earlier and hit the ground harder... 50' short of the berg.

I would gamble the Berg-X flys a whole lot like a Devil Hawk. Maybe a little slower, but not really any shorter.

Big Berg fan here...you described a Stego lol

This is correct.

That's the beauty of the stego though, it behaves more mild thrown at lower speeds. If I throw my Stego at 40-50% like I would for a 120' Berg approach it flies very similarly the first half of the flight except flexes hard at the end and lands on edge. Now a 80% 215' Berg shot thrown with the stego and the stego will flex earlier and hit the ground harder... 50' short of the berg.

Yeah, I mean, I get what you guys are saying but I don't think I agree.

So I was in the middle of writing a reply about not really having thrown a Stego when I had to step away for a bit, forgot what I was doing and ended up going to the course where I found a Stego on hole 1 and threw it on most of the holes to get a feel for it. Just for reference it's well worn and very warped, probably TarPit? But I'm not very familiar with RDG plastics.

That said, here's two reasons I don't agree. First I think there's a ton of room between the 0/1 to 0/2 mild overstability of the Berg and the insane meathook that is the Stego; if I want something more overstable than a Thunderbird/CD2 I wouldn't go straight to a Tilt, first I'd look at maybe a PD, Firebird or Flare.

Second, while the Stego is completely glideless and goes nowhere (I was getting it out to maybe 3/4th of the distance I got my "overstable" Berg to) it's still a faster disc than the Berg; even though it's a putter and flies nothing like a driver, it also doesn't have that super slow and straight element that "1 speed" discs have. If I just wanted a less OS Stego I could always put a champ Rhyno in the bag, it's got the thumb track, low glide and more overstability than any Berg I've thrown, but it's also a classic putter in terms of speed.

I'm not saying that I think a Berg-X is something I've been missing or it's going to be a must have. But I'm gonna try it out and unless they make it massively overstable then it's going to fill a very different slot than a Stego to me.

Yeah, I mean, I get what you guys are saying but I don't think I agree.

So I was in the middle of writing a reply about not really having thrown a Stego when I had to step away for a bit, forgot what I was doing and ended up going to the course where I found a Stego on hole 1 and threw it on most of the holes to get a feel for it. Just for reference it's well worn and very warped, probably TarPit? But I'm not very familiar with RDG plastics.

That said, here's two reasons I don't agree. First I think there's a ton of room between the 0/1 to 0/2 mild overstability of the Berg and the insane meathook that is the Stego; if I want something more overstable than a Thunderbird/CD2 I wouldn't go straight to a Tilt, first I'd look at maybe a PD, Firebird or Flare.

Second, while the Stego is completely glideless and goes nowhere (I was getting it out to maybe 3/4th of the distance I got my "overstable" Berg to) it's still a faster disc than the Berg; even though it's a putter and flies nothing like a driver, it also doesn't have that super slow and straight element that "1 speed" discs have. If I just wanted a less OS Stego I could always put a champ Rhyno in the bag, it's got the thumb track, low glide and more overstability than any Berg I've thrown, but it's also a classic putter in terms of speed.

I'm not saying that I think a Berg-X is something I've been missing or it's going to be a must have. But I'm gonna try it out and unless they make it massively overstable then it's going to fill a very different slot than a Stego to me.

I agree there is a ton of room inbetween. Up until I recently dropped the berg I was bagging one or sometimes even two molds between it and the stego.

My response was more aimed at the idea that the stego has to be thrown full bore to get its overstable low glide properties. Maybe I misinterpreted the post I was respinding to.

Weird reading about people with smaller hands not liking the Berg.

I'm a big guy (6'4" and 250) and can't hold the Berg comfortably at all.

I have small hands and that's why I love the berg, I throw it for all my forehand putter shots. I wish there was something 4 speed that flew just like a berg and felt like a berg. Oh well.

I think this particular slot is something that is a "nice to have but don't absolutely need". I like the berg because of its straightness at all speeds. 80 foot tunnel approach, send the berg. 180 foot tunnel approach, send the berg. Same line, same 3 degrees of hyzer, give the second one more beans and more height and voila, parked.

This slot I feel like would be awesome for the OS hit and stick approach shots or flex shots, where you don't have the height for a Berg to fade/push to the side but don't want to throw a higher speed. Sure, you could throw a quake/firebird/gator/etc and get a similar flight, but it'll come in a little hotter and may want to skip.

I love the berg and throw it, as I do all my discs, for loads of different shots. I'll probably grab a berg X to see if it feels as nice as the berg does and if it does things I find valuable. If so, I got room. If not, I'll keep it because why not, life's too short to get annoyed at companies making pieces of plastic for people to throw through the woods

Yeah I agree with EllEstar also. I was missing some bite from the Harp and threw the Baobab in the mix and it's just too extreme. Put the A2 back in.

A2 is like the most beefy disc you can find that's not in the *useless OS category with the Stego/Baobab type discs. I had one 750 A2 that may as well been a stego

I just bought a slightly used 500 A2 a couple of weeks ago and took it out for a practice round. Flies almost exactly like my Proton Deflector. Same distances, the same fade, and pretty close to the same skip potential.

I have small hands and that's why I love the berg, I throw it for all my forehand putter shots. I wish there was something 4 speed that flew just like a berg and felt like a berg. Oh well.

I think this particular slot is something that is a "nice to have but don't absolutely need". I like the berg because of its straightness at all speeds. 80 foot tunnel approach, send the berg. 180 foot tunnel approach, send the berg. Same line, same 3 degrees of hyzer, give the second one more beans and more height and voila, parked.

This slot I feel like would be awesome for the OS hit and stick approach shots or flex shots, where you don't have the height for a Berg to fade/push to the side but don't want to throw a higher speed. Sure, you could throw a quake/firebird/gator/etc and get a similar flight, but it'll come in a little hotter and may want to skip.

I love the berg and throw it, as I do all my discs, for loads of different shots. I'll probably grab a berg X to see if it feels as nice as the berg does and if it does things I find valuable. If so, I got room. If not, I'll keep it because why not, life's too short to get annoyed at companies making pieces of plastic for people to throw through the woods
With small hands, do you throw mid ranges well? I suck at power grip throw on mid ranges. They don't feel good in my hands, and totally erratic. Wondering if it might be my small hands, or just my technique/form suck? I power grip fairway drivers and some easy to use distance drivers okay. Thanks for any input.

I cannot help you because I also have small hands and feel exactly the same way! I only carry two mids, a Fuse and a Vibram Launch with no putters. The Launch is my "putter" from close and with wind otherwise I putt with firway drivers such as my Hatchet, Underworld, or Leopard. It has improved my game immensely to ditch the putters and mids!

I cannot help you because I also have small hands and feel exactly the same way! I only carry two mids, a Fuse and a Vibram Launch with no putters. The Launch is my "putter" from close and with wind otherwise I putt with firway drivers such as my Hatchet, Underworld, or Leopard. It has improved my game immensely to ditch the putters and mids!
I love the putters from close, with a fan grip, for putting or approach under 100 feet. Spin putt. But, power grip them, and I am a disaster, same as with the mids. Still not sure if it is small hands, or maybe just bad form, but I know they don't feel good in my power grip.

Berg-X, Toro, Zone OS, Berg, A2, Stego...

Overhyped for sure.

Every new driver ever...

We're not reinventing the wheel here. Just comparing PLH's and runs and colors of said runs and domes for said colors compared to others. Picking nits.

I bag a Berg (OG) and now a Glitch. Couldn't be happier with that combo. Plus a Proxy and beat e Envy. Sometimes a Comet. :D

Berg-Proxy combo is amazing.

As for the Berg X. I am interested, has anyone seen a release date?

So it will be a slower Stego? I'll probably get one to make a video with but not super interested.

i think its a good idea, i like a berg, proxy, zone combo an di want a bit of beef thats shorter than a zone. Tried the zone os, and its a bit too beefy and rather have a berg plastic and feel anyway.

Saw some video the other day of someone testing a mint bergX. Couldn't tell a lot but it definitely flew more berg like than stego like.

So the Berg-X is out and there are a few videos of people testing it. Really seems like just a slightly more OS Berg than anything else, like AviarX3 vs Aviar3 or RocX3 vs Roc3, maybe ESP Zone vs Jawbreaker Zone, etc.

I've heard a few people claim that recent FR Kasta discs are slightly less stable than stock runs, so we'll see, maybe the stock run is a little more OS.