• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Tossed one of my new DX glow Rocs around in the backyard yesterday evening. I only have a bit over a hundred feet to work with so it was just touchy little approach type shots. Threw it maybe twelve times and it was impressive how many nicks and gouges are in it now. I've never really thrown DX but I'm guessing it won't take many rounds to knock the newness off of it.

Tossed one of my new DX glow Rocs around in the backyard yesterday evening. I only have a bit over a hundred feet to work with so it was just touchy little approach type shots. Threw it maybe twelve times and it was impressive how many nicks and gouges are in it now. I’ve never really thrown DX but I’m guessing it won’t take many rounds to knock the newness off of it.

For a few years there was a run of KC Glow that the discs probably just missed the Stiffness in PDGA rules or was just on the making the cut but anyhow but a guy I know had one of the F2 discs and his shattered in cold weather the disc he had just got in fall of 2018 and in early 2019 at an Ice Bowl the disc was gone. Closest I have seen for discs was the old Pro-D that was just under the PDGA rules on stiffness and those discs splitting in half or getting a chip shatter on old disc hitting something in weather below 45 F. Only worse was the old 10 Meter Brick by Quest in the baseline plastic as those shattered in any weather below 50 F seeing a guy who used one of those for his extreme long putting with a backup in bag until he lost 2 during a round on the same hole shattering the way older non disc golf Wham-O discs did in the very early 1980's and older, before the brand got bought out.

As much as I can't wait for my #3 to be a #4, it sure is a magical flyer.

Random comment: I put that ZamRoc in the bag for no good reason; Tuesday I put it under the basket from 270' on a dead-nuts straight line. It was on a pretty low line; didn't flip early, didn't fade late. It impressed everyone on my card.

I could throw that Roc from that spot at that basket 100 times and never get it to fly that perfectly or land that close, lol. Timing is everything.

Felt the need to share a picture of the herd (flock?). Generally arranged most OS top right and flippiest bottom left. Most OS is comparable to a Wasp and most flippy is in line with a Comet. Usually carry 3-4 with a Z Comet and a Z Wasp as bookends.
0926178461eb50078a4ffeda5ef6a50e.jpg

^Great collection.

General question: How do DX Rocs fly comparably to KC Rocs? I've always thrown KC and love the feel of the stiffer plastic. I don't have nearly as much experience with DX.

(I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere already in this lengthy thread...)

General question: How do DX Rocs fly comparably to KC Rocs? I've always thrown KC and love the feel of the stiffer plastic. I don't have nearly as much experience with DX.

DX and KC start out almost identical - zero turn, moderate fade. However the DX definitely beats into straight a little faster.

I prefer DX for superior grip, especially in cold or rain. And since I'm bagging 4 rocs, they don't beat in too quickly as none of them get thrown too often. If I only had one or two rocs, I'd probably throw a more durable KC or XT or something.

Are y'all Roc purists? I bag Roc, Roc3, and RocX3 and they all feel identical in the hand and have incredibly consistent flight patterns. I generally throw all my discs on a slight hyzer release, and I throw Rocs whenever possible for shots 275'-330', assuming the ceiling allows for it.

1. XT RocX3: Straight with solid fade at the end. Not nearly as glideless as I had been led to believe - it really flies like a fresh, overstable roc. On a flex line this actually has the most distance potential of all 4, but I don't throw that on the course.

2. Glow KC Roc: Straight as can be. Minimal turn and minimal fade. This one is starting to turn just a bit more than I would like (encroaching on #3) so it might get replaced soon.

3. DX Roc, moderately worn: Reliable turn with just a bit of fade to finish on a line parallel to the initial line of release. I like this one for uphill shots and gentle turns to the right. When I started a year ago, I wanted a flippy roc, so I threw a bunch of FH rollers with this in a gravel parking lot to thrash it, and here we are. Then it sat in a lake for 6 months over the winter. It's stayed in this sweet spot since I got it back in the Spring.

4. DX Roc3: Super flippy. Its first shot off the shelf was about the flippiest Roc shot I had ever thrown, and it's only beaten in since. It really flies like a traditional forehand - just immediately flips and starts falling to the right (reminiscent of James Conrad's greenie aviar). Easy to turn and burn, but with enough height it carves some awesome lines.

So yeah, that's my "Roc" arsenal.

Are y'all Roc purists? I bag Roc, Roc3, and RocX3 and they all feel identical in the hand and have incredibly consistent flight patterns. I generally throw all my discs on a slight hyzer release, and I throw Rocs whenever possible for shots 275'-330', assuming the ceiling allows for it.

1. XT RocX3: Straight with solid fade at the end. Not nearly as glideless as I had been led to believe - it really flies like a fresh, overstable roc. On a flex line this actually has the most distance potential of all 4, but I don't throw that on the course.

Never thrown the RocX3 in XT, but I have thrown it in Champion. It definitely feels different in the hand but I agree that it flies similarly to a fresh Roc with some OS to it, but not the most OS. If I'm throwing a RocX3, I'm not looking for something that glides; it generally does what I expect. It's a fine disc, but yeah, probably not something that "purists" will bag. While I was watching some recent tournament video, it looked like Philo was trying out a RocX3. If a dedicated Roc thrower like Philo is throwing a RocX3, then maybe some people will give it a try. Just different strokes for different folks and all.

Well since this is all I read about on here anymore, and I'm easily persuaded. And I have too many discs, but I put a DX Roc in the bag today. 10/10, brand new. Very waxy feeling, but it's unthrown, That'll change in short order. I threw my normal torque monkey, flawed form. Threw it on turnovers mostly. Not looking for form help or suggestions.

It was fantastic. Beyond fantasic really. Not sure how they glide so damn far, and this is on anny or straight shots. They're not 0/3 for turn and fade. I don't throw flicks unless absolutely unavoidable. Bad shoulder. Bad form. Wrist roll. Mostly wrist roll, lesser but prevelant the other 2.

I'm not cycling Rocs. Don't get me started on that. BUT, they performed better than anything I've thrown for turnovers/forceovers. Forceovers especially, but they glide out. And I mean GLIDE.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that a new DX Roc for ME, is understable, but very useful. Picture me as Nikko throwing a Stiletto flex in the woods. That's my style, it works, pretty well usually. I'm putting a brand new San Marino Star Roc in for tomorrow. Shorter course.

I understand it's form. How is a Roc a 4 speed with a 3 for fade? It flies like a 7 speed and is neutral to slightly OS imo. ever so slightly OS. Either way, it was nice. If my putting could help bail me out I'd be in great shape.

Just thoughts from my rounds today, bag a wasp in Z too :eek: so a cheap champ Roc anyway.

I throw 180g DX's. Hyzer release, relatively low. The fresh ones give me consistent, relatively big fade, with a consistent skip left.

Well since this is all I read about on here anymore, and I'm easily persuaded. And I have too many discs, but I put a DX Roc in the bag today. 10/10, brand new. Very waxy feeling, but it's unthrown, That'll change in short order. I threw my normal torque monkey, flawed form. Threw it on turnovers mostly. Not looking for form help or suggestions.

It was fantastic. Beyond fantasic really. Not sure how they glide so damn far, and this is on anny or straight shots. They're not 0/3 for turn and fade. I don't throw flicks unless absolutely unavoidable. Bad shoulder. Bad form. Wrist roll. Mostly wrist roll, lesser but prevelant the other 2.

I'm not cycling Rocs. Don't get me started on that. BUT, they performed better than anything I've thrown for turnovers/forceovers. Forceovers especially, but they glide out. And I mean GLIDE.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that a new DX Roc for ME, is understable, but very useful. Picture me as Nikko throwing a Stiletto flex in the woods. That's my style, it works, pretty well usually. I'm putting a brand new San Marino Star Roc in for tomorrow. Shorter course.

I understand it's form. How is a Roc a 4 speed with a 3 for fade? It flies like a 7 speed and is neutral to slightly OS imo. ever so slightly OS. Either way, it was nice. If my putting could help bail me out I'd be in great shape.

Just thoughts from my rounds today, bag a wasp in Z too :eek: so a cheap champ Roc anyway.
I avoided Rocs for a long time because Innova said they were overstable and for advanced players. I read the chart and threw Sharks. When I actually threw a Roc I was amazed at the glide and didn't think the fade was nearly as bad as advertised; it flew like a Shark that had somewhere to go!

Rocs created a problem for me because I was throwing a Raven as my driver and I could throw a Roc farther with more accuracy. :eek: It was my driver for a bit; after I discovered it I threw a Roc for everything except putts.

So...the Roc fades hard to the left.
What kind of shots would I use it for?
What if I drive with it but my basket is 300ft straight ahead? Would I just throw it further to the right to have it hook back in?
Whats the diff between KC Pro Roc & a DX Roc?

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I noticed that softer, waxy embossed Rocs fly like a somewhat beat Roc out of the box. The ones I have like that are also flatter. I prefer Rocs that have a more rigid rim and a nice even dome; not flat, not too domey. But the soft ones with a flexible rim are just fine for filling in for a straight/neutral Roc.

I'll tell you what isn't a Roc: a VRoc.

I pulled one out of the drink this morning and threw it on a few holes. Holy right turn!