• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

eegor said:
Big run ups are over-rated. If anything, they promote inconsistency.

I just use 4 steps and they are very short. I'm pretty accurate and my average distance is at about 380ft.

And yeah they for sure promote a ton of inconsistency.

PMantle said:
Stringbean said:
As in you still wear them untucked? Or you can't stand seeing them untucked?
I always thought it was an odd look on Mark.

For those of us built more like a beach ball than an hour glass, keeping a shirt tucked in is a continual hassle. :D Sure we look odd but not matter what we wear or how we wear it a certain degree of oddity is assured. The next time you play a round with a fat guy watch how often he fights to keep his pants pulled up or his shirt tucked in.

I have even tried suspenders and that is a real odd look for the disc golf course. :eek: :eek:

Mark Ellis said:
PMantle said:
Stringbean said:
As in you still wear them untucked? Or you can't stand seeing them untucked?
I always thought it was an odd look on Mark.

For those of us built more like a beach ball than an hour glass, keeping a shirt tucked in is a continual hassle. :D Sure we look odd but not matter what we wear or how we wear it a certain degree of oddity is assured. The next time you play a round with a fat guy watch how often he fights to keep his pants pulled up or his shirt tucked in.

I have even tried suspenders and that is a real odd look for the disc golf course. :eek: :eek:
:D

I finally got down a running X-Step. Not sure the exact name of it,but I was watching a Tourney with Paul McBeth and some others and I was studying the technique they use when taking a full on run up into an X-Step.

I was Oating the crap out of it at first,but then got it down and I was Hyzerflipping my Beasts out to 410ft+ and getting my PD's to the 410ft mark. It actually also helped my 4-Step X-Step. When I got the feel of the running X-Step I took the last bit of feel I got out of it and transitioned it to my 4-Step X-Step. I was for sure throwing my Rocs and Truths much much better than normal. Almost Aced 2 holes today after that light bulb went off in my head.

This is something they teach you on all of the beginner videos, but it never really clicked with me until now.

Lately, my push putting has gone downhill. I used to be money inside the circle but have been struggling quite a bit, often hitting the top of the basket with putts even from close in.

Focus on a single chain link when you aim

When I don't pick a specific spot on the basket, I visualize it as a whole, and quite often the focal point that sticks into the subconscious is the top of the basket. Sometimes it has a flag on top or a marker or is painted yellow. If you don't have a specific target picked out, the top of the basket is often what your brain defaults too. The second most common default point to subconsciously aim for is the basket itself which ends with your disc bouncing off from being thrown too low.

By focusing on a specific link in one of the chains when you are aiming, you eliminate the subconscious tendency to aim for the top or bottom.

This has helped me dial in my putts a lot better and avoid some of those "too high" or "too low" puts.

It's simple, and I've heard it many times before, but today the "why" of it finally clicked.

I couldn't count how many shots I've missed because of this, but it is finally sinking in. It is not enough to merely visualize the flight path. You must see the reality of the flight path. Dozens of shots where everything looked so perfect until, POW! "Where did that branch come from?"

A cheaper lesson, figured out in the practice field: There are occasions when throwing nose-up is good. The 20 mph plus tailwind was smacking down everything I threw until I hucked a Z Buzz that would have been a worm-burner if it hadn't left my hand nose-up. It got down to about three inches off the ground, and just rode a cushion of air like an air hockey puck. Of course, it only works if the grass is very short and the ground is moderately level, but that goes back to seeing the reality of the flight path.

That people always have, do, and will continue to lie about their actual distance...and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, but laugh to myself, and pity them. Getting annoyed solves nothing, feeling empathy for people who need to lie to feel special makes me feel better about my self.

Figured out a few weeks ago that keeping my elbow close to my body on sidearm throws is the cause of my shoulder and elbow pain. I finally have a smooth, pain-free sidearm out to 300 feet. I am hoping to add distance/accuracy now that I can practice without hurting myself.

The better blunter Fuses are almost like fr esp Comets when they are blunt around the edges but are in the shops. Bagged. Three differently shaped discs fly alike with the first few shots in Opto opaque, recycled and Euro Championships player's pack gl i assume. Long straight glidey little late fade. Yummy!

Grip is far more important than I ever thought previously. Especially on FH drives.

Getting older really does increase your odds of injury.

Your best game is realized when you a adopt an "I only get one shot" mentality.

One more - your farthest drive likely only happened once or twice. Your typical reliable distance is likely ~50 feet less.

CJ1998 said:
One more - your farthest drive likely only happened once or twice. Your typical reliable distance is likely ~50 feet less.
There are a few holes where I play that require my best possible distance throw to park. One day, I threw well past one of these baskets. Thinking it was a fluke, I grabbed a similar disc for a second throw, and did it again. Never happened again. I have no idea what I did right that day that I can no longer do. :twisted:

Trying a two step lefty kills my consistency. A shuffle step two step lefty throw has some consistency, but the most important thing of all is, that i get a normal feeling righty technique this way when i pull a few inches under the pecs. That loosened up my arm muscles. I got half hit snap. Of course the distance is still limited thanks to almost no stepping speed. The next order of things is to take a run up and see, if i can maintain form with the shuffle step, that has the rear leg toes a few inches behind the front leg heel. And using longer more power hungry, but faster discs. I may be onto something distance gaining wise here lefty. It is just applying standard righty knowledge in as much as i can control my body. Where the break came with the short shuffle step.

Latest posts