• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Perfect Anhyzer/Hyzer

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
I've been working on getting my drives to do a gentle curve to the right (RHBH) for some time and I've watched dozens of videos, poured over written advice, and tried much of what I found out on the field before I finally figured out what works for me. This post is to share what I found in the hopes it will help someone. It may or may not be what you find works best for you.

First, let me be clear. What I was after wasn't an 'anhyzer bomb' that goes high and comes down at a sharp angle. What I wanted was a drive that tips just slightly to the right and holds that line for the entire flight without fading back left or turning over and becoming a roller.

There are three basic techniques I found: 1. Angle the disc by bending the wrist. 2. Angle the disc by bending the spine. 3. Angle the disc by adjusting the grip. Of these three, the last is the one I found most effective and easy to control. There are other methods such as rolling the wrist at the last moment, but this is extremely difficult to do well with any sort of consistency.

The basic technique of an anhyzer (or hyzer for that matter) by adjusting the grip is pretty simple. Basically, with a standard power grip, you either move your thumb out towards the edge of the disc (pressing there tips the disc up in an anhyzer angle) or move the thumb farther from the rim (pressing there tips the disc down in a hyzer angle). Get that angle and hold it through your drive and that's basically it. Here's why this is a good way to get your angle:

1. It's simple. All you have to worry about is not letting your grip shift until the disc rips out.

2. It works for either hyzer or anhyzer. Other angled shots, like a flex shot, require different arm positions depending on what you're throwing. (An anhyzer flex shot is thrown at or above shoulder height, for example.)

3. (This is a big one) You don't change any other aspects of your drive, which means you are less likely to screw it up or lose power.

Below is an illustration I drew to help clarify things. There are only two pitfalls I've encountered using this technique. First, when holding the disc angled up for an anhyzer, the thumb being close to the edge of the disc and the disc tipping up away from the fingers under the rim makes it more likely the disc will slip out, releasing early, or at least not getting the amount of snap you want. Focusing on a tight grip, especially with the thumb and forefinger helps overcome this. The other downside is subtle, but important. As the illustration shows, when you have the disc angled one way (say, anhyzer), then you reach back, because you are rotating your hand and the disc 180 degrees for the reach back, the angle reverses - the higher edge of the disc is to the left when your arm is extended toward the target, but to the right when extended away for the target for the reach back. When I realized this was happening, I had kind of an 'aha' moment because I remember times in the past when I thought I was set up for a hyzer/anhyzer, and the disc went the opposite direction on release. Now I think that happened because I reached back, THEN angled the disc what I thought was the right way. I was totally missing the fact that the disc rotates 180 degrees from reach back to release. I was probably misled by all the advice that tells us the disc should travel a flat plane throughout the throw. It does, but only when you're throwing it flat. For an angled shot, the angled plane rotates 180 degrees from reach back to release. Just something to think about. This is easily overcome by extending your arm toward the target first and setting your angled grip before reaching back. And, during the reach back, you have to ignore the fact that the disc now looks angled the opposite of what you wanted.

Just two more pieces of advice. First, and this one should be obvious, it's easier to get an understable disc to anhyzer or get an overstable disc to hyzer - too much of either and you'll turn the disc over into a roller. Hyzers/Anhyzers seem to work fine with a slightly understable disc, but a really stable disc can work well for either throw. And, lastly, the secret to getting any disc to hold a desired angle throughout its flight is good snap and the increased spin momentum that comes with it. The gyroscopic stability of a disc with lots of spin can even counter a discs natural tendencies, like turning left and fading at the end of its flight. The best way to get that snap is to make sure you are gripping the disc fairly tightly between your thumb and forefinger. That ensures that, at the apex of your throw, the disc pivots around your index finger before pulling free, imparting maximum spin and acceleration at the last second.

Hope this helps somebody.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57064&stc=1&d=1454378851

Attachments

• Throw Angle 4.jpg
    Throw Angle 4.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 210
Isn't that just intentionally imparting OAT?
It sound like a decent method though.
What discs are you using for this? I'm thinking for an anhyser type the way you are describing anything even slightly under-stable would fly off too far right.

Funny that you are thinking of the disc angle relative to the target on the reach back. I think I just naturally thought of disc angle relative to my grip.

Last edited:
Isn't that just intentionally imparting OAT?
It sound like a decent method though.
What discs are you using for this? I'm thinking for an anhyser type the way you are describing anything even slightly under-stable would fly off too far right.

Funny that you are thinking of the disc angle relative to the target on the reach back. I think I just naturally thought of disc angle relative to my grip.

I'm using this with an MVP Wave right now, so yeah, a tad understable. I can see why you'd think OAT, but it really isn't a problem for me. As long as spin and linear acceleration are both applied flat to the plane of the disc, it doesn't really matter what angle the disc is on. I could maybe see where you could have a problem if the angle were set for a release position other than where you actually release the disc. Basically you want the highest point of a raised disc (anhyzer) or the lowest point of a lowered disc (hyzer) perpendicular to the line of flight upon release. Otherwise you might see OAT, but, again, it never really happens to me.

I never really thought about the angle before because I was always trying to keep the disc flat throughout the throw. In trying this technique I found myself thinking about it more.

All I can say is try it. I like it largely because it doesn't take a lot of focus and allows me to use my regular drive instead of trying to bring the disc up at or above my shoulders with the disc angled at the wrist - that's just awkward for me and I can't get nearly the power I can using this method. I still throw shoulder-height, angled at the wrist for shorter distance flex shots because I'm not trying for distance in those instances.

From "Grip it to Rip it." Read here.

The placement of the thumb pad on the disc holds varied levels of importance depending upon your grip (the thumb should always be in the forward position). The basic positions of the thumb are thumb out, which has the thumb close to the rim, thumb neutral, which has the thumb just inside the rim, and thumb in, which has the thumb extended well onto the flight plate. The more fundamentally sound your grip is, the less dependent it will be on thumb placement. As a general rule, the closer the thumb is to the edge of the disc, the easier it will be to get the nose down at the expense of a decrease in potential grip strength.

I was thinking the same, thumb position is not creating hyzer/anhyzer, its creating nose up/down. You want to pull through with your hand on the edge farthest from your chest. Then at the hit (depending on thumb position) your disc will be nose up or down. I'm not discrediting what you feel or what works for you, I just think you may be describing it wrong.

You're wrong, Sidewinder. The line from the thumb and the opposite edge of the disc that tips up or down are perpendicular to the nose of the disc at release.

I've been lurking for quite some time on these forums, and I've never seen those first 3 words typed in succession... :popcorn:

Lol.... Watevur sounds like oathyzer.

Dude has no idea what hes talking about all over this board and doesnt care to learn.

Anhyzers are not rocket science. Throwing is about aiming with the body. Wrist/arm are just along for the ride.

Overstable disc anhyzer throws.. A wave?! Pft.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same, thumb position is not creating hyzer/anhyzer, its creating nose up/down. You want to pull through with your hand on the edge farthest from your chest. Then at the hit (depending on thumb position) your disc will be nose up or down. I'm not discrediting what you feel or what works for you, I just think you may be describing it wrong.

If you look at the illustration I provided you can see I've got my hand gripping the disc perpendicular to the nose of the disc, both at reach back and release. That's the 180 degree change. With your arm extended fully toward the target, tip the left side of the disc up (for anhyzer). Now, holding that angle, reach back. The tip up to the left of the target line becomes a tip up to the right of the target line. Your throw should rotate the disc back to its original orientation at release. I wish I had a decent camera and stand, I'd make a video of this. Might make one of me inside showing what I mean anyway.

This drawing isn't perfect, but I've added red lines to roughly show the line that passes through the center and nose of the disc and the target. The perpendicular line is from the index finger pivot point to the raised edge of the disc. Since the raised edge of the disc goes from being closest to your chest at reach back to farthest from your chest at release, the disc passes through a nose down position (nose up for hyzer) as the forearm and wrist are whipping it around. But as long as the raised edge is perpendicular to the target line at release, the nose is not up or down at release any more than if you were achieving the angle by bending your spine back (anhyzer angle) or forward (hyzer angle), you're just angling at the grip, not the wrist or spine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Throw Angle 5.jpg
    Throw Angle 5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 228
Correct. What the OP is describing is using a nose up for Hyzers and nose down for anhyzers.

If you are not changing your body angles for Hyzers or anhyzers your doing it wrong.

Sorry, but you're wrong. This does not angle the nose up or down. My drive is typically flat, usually reaching no more than 5' above ground on a flat field. This technique changes the left/right angle of the disc, it does not change the nose angle or my drive would go to hell when I do it. And the whole point of this is it's easier than angling the body or changing your distance drive in any significant way. I wish you would just try it, then you'd see for yourself. Just keep your drive 100% the same as if you were throwing the disc flat, but adjust the disc in your grip to achieve the angle. It really does work.

Here's a quick video I just made that shows what I'm doing. Sorry it's not actual drive footage. Also, you'll notice that when I'm moving the disc from reach back to release point I lose my initial disc angle and have to recover it. That's from trying to handle the camera and talk while doing this - I don't pat my head and rub my stomach too well either. But it should give you the basic idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cl4SGyGVTY

I understand what you are saying, tbfg, and I do get that you are not talking about nose up vs. nose down.

If you hold a disc in your hand with your normal power grip, and then slide your thumb forward and fingers back, then the disc, if held out in front of your face, will be on an anhyzer angle (the top of the disc towards you rather than away from you).

This doesn't work at all for me for two reasons 1) it totally mangles my grip. I can't do this and keep pressure on the right parts of my grip to impart force onto the disc. 2) I can't keep the disc on this angle through the hit. Think about your body spinning around extremely quickly. Imagine spinning so quickly that your arms fly out parallel to the ground, and because of how fast you are spinning you can't pull them back down to your sides. This is the same thing that happens with the relationship of your hand/disc to your arm during the throw. If you are throwing with any force the disc/hand will be pulled in line with your forearm because there isn't realistically any way you could hold them at a different angle because of the weight of your hand and disc being pulled away from your body.

Does this make sense, tbfg?

Okay, now that I saw the video I understand what you are going for much less. Why are you pulling the disc back on a hyzer angle and finishing anhyzer?

Latest posts