• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Quest for 400'-- Form Help!

Joemic

Par Member
Hello all,

I've been spending most of my time around here lurking rather than posting, trying to improve my form. It's much improved from last year, but I've got some work to do for sure.

I've been playing for just over a year now, and I can consistently drive between 350' and 375' with my PD's. Considering I could only graze 300' with distance drivers at the end of last summer, I'm pretty happy. Still, though, the quest for 400' continues.

Here's a video of me throwing some drives (took it at a course rather than in a field). Let me know what you think (looking at you, SW :) )

https://vimeo.com/98281709

When I throw, I feel pretty well balanced. Looking at this video, though, it seems like I'm spinning out of control. If the advice is to get the lower body more involved, how can I work on that? Let the criticism begin!

You plant your rear foot too backward and on the heel and don't transfer your weight through the front leg/hip. You continue too far forward in the finish to have properly braced against the front side. You should finish balanced on the front foot, your rear leg swinging around pulls you off balance. You bring the disc around your body instead of getting the body out of the way and swinging through your core and center. Working from a standstill will help improve efficiency much faster. It's all in the hips.

BTW sidewinder - I really like that second video (lower body in the backswing).

Great videos. Went back and looked at his "feet together" drill and am starting to understand your observations, SW. I know it'll be tough to implement changes with a run up, but I think you're right--definitely need to work on things from a stand still!

Thanks for your diligent work here on the forums, SW. I'll try to get more videos up as I work on things :thmbup:

Latest posts