• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Reptilian Disc Golf Thread

One interesting thing about releasing so many RDG discs into the wild at my tournaments is seeing how people are using them. And it may just be that I gave the most of them out, but the glow Gila is a massive hit.

The lower powered players are using them a lot like a Harp or Zone type disc and people with a bit more pop are using them like many would a Pyro or Buzzz OS.

The flat top on those feels so smooth when coming out FH.

You are making me want to add one to my next order! @Moose33

Gila is the perfect balance of stable workhorse and meaty utility. I played in some mean winds over the weekend. Threw a justice in the bag as a failsafe bookend to my gilas. I ended up forgetting it was there and happily threw my Gila all day. The stego also saw an uptick in tosses that round...

You are making me want to add one to my next order! @Moose33

If you haven't yet tried one I think it's possibly the second best RDG disc available at the moment.

Amber Stego
Glow Gila
Nylon Chameleon
Amber Carnivore
Amber Komodo

Are my current top 5 available right now(all in my bag too)

If you haven't yet tried one I think it's possibly the second best RDG disc available at the moment.

Amber Stego
Glow Gila
Nylon Chameleon
Amber Carnivore
Amber Komodo

Gila is my top personally. Then Chameleon>Iguana>Serpent>Stego, but really Serpent, Stego, Scale are all great and its hard to pick an order for them.

Amber Stego
Glow Gila
Nylon Chameleon
Amber Carnivore
Amber Komodo

I'd put the Armor Serpents against anything RDG has made but I'm incredibly biased as it's my favorite mold from anyone

I'd put the Armor Serpents against anything RDG has made but I'm incredibly biased as it's my favorite mold from anyone

Love the current run of armor serpent, I have not found a better disc for both FH and BH approach that I can match the angle of the ground thrown hard or soft. Very versatile for such a boring disc. I am itching to get a couple of these tar pits in my hands. I think they will pair great with the Armors.

My bag has transitioned over to about 50% RDG now and I have to say I could not be happier with the results. Shot -10 at league tonight and had 3 Stego birdies(including another metal hit), and birdies with the Komodo, Gila and Iguana as well. Carnivore got me pars on two really tough holes as well since I can count on it to come back and get around tricky OB.

Didn't find throws for the Chameleon tonight but it probably will next week!

The new discs and recent runs of classics have been good, that combined with the tease of more to come makes RDG a very fun brand to be a fan of right now.

That stego ace is going to drop soon!

As much as I like to do silly stuff with the Stego...isn't an ace with one a sign of the end times?

Now that I think of it, if it is a filmed ace there should be a commemorative disc. Another themed with the meteor crashing down!

Last edited:
As much as I like to do silly stuff with the Stego...isn't an ace with one a sign of the end times?

Now that I think of it, if it is a filmed ace there should be a commemorative disc. Another themed with the meteor crashing down!

I literally had a skip shot hit dead center chains and then plop out the front. I have at least 30 metal hits with the Stego, mainly the soft glow one.

Hopefully I'll get an ace with it eventually! If my knee is feeling okay I may go to a short course in the summer and just play Stego only until I ace lol.

I literally had a skip shot hit dead center chains and then plop out the front. I have at least 30 metal hits with the Stego, mainly the soft glow one.

Hopefully I'll get an ace with it eventually! If my knee is feeling okay I may go to a short course in the summer and just play Stego only until I ace lol.

I can't decide if I'm jealous or angry at you for the Stego shenanigans

I would love to do something silly like play till you ace the stego and film it with someone, maybe I will try to find someone to do it with. There's 2 courses within an hour of me that would actually be fun to do it at. One of them gets silly busy when the weather is ok but is 18 holes, the other is only 9 but one of them you could potentially stego roller ace.

Alright, I know I have been blowing up the RDG talk with my excitement for the newer molds and blends but here I go again.

The Carnivore (doesn't have its own thread yet).
I have kinda written this one off a few times. It doesn't go terribly far, but is predictable. We have established that. My purple one is pretty beefy, and my creamsicle one has a touch of turn, and holds the turn I put on it easily. I have shared how much I like them in the wind, specifically the purple one. It doesn't fly nearly as overstable as other discs that handle the wind like it does. I am pretty sure I have shared those thoughts already.
I had the purple one in the bag for a few months after a few really windy rounds I found myself wanting it. Currently it has kinda booted my more OS pred from the bag since it handles wind and is longer on hyzer lines. The komodo or tyrant covers the shorter ones well. Well I revisited the creamsicle one since I have been enjoying the purple again. Well I don't think I can take it out either now; it may just be my new go to forehand driver. I don't have a ton of snap, but have unlocked a little bit more snap the last few months. I am getting almost hurricane type distance with much more control. Between the two carnivore I cover a lot of FH distance shapes and release angles. I will still be pulling the hurricane if the extra 20-30 feet is needed or there's a tailwind I want to ride.
I guess dumb predictable nature of the carnivore has earned its spot now. Its hard to imagine the pred being out of my bag entirely, and its a little odd having 3 molds covering what I did with one, but those 3 specialize in 3 different things I have been stretching a different discs abilities to do, and they do a lot of those things better.

Carnivore is a really good driver that has stolen a lot of shots in my bag. It does glidy hyzers really well and you never have to be scared it will flip.

I've thrown it 450 forehand as well and it turns a bit but likes the power.

A coupe of local guys have started using them as their main FH driver.

I want to pick up a couple more for a better sample size. There is enough variation between my two, while I like both for slightly different uses (they compliment much like my nylon and amber chameleons) I am curious which is more typical being they are the same blend.

Just snagged two Tarpit Serpents, woo! Can't wait for them to come in.

But what's the deal with this Tortuga I see on the website? I looked up the listed mold (Arsenal C4) and could only find one review and barely any photos of it.

Just snagged two Tarpit Serpents, woo! Can't wait for them to come in.

But what's the deal with this Tortuga I see on the website? I looked up the listed mold (Arsenal C4) and could only find one review and barely any photos of it.

RE Tortuga Proto:
The Tortuga is pretty fun. A few of us are tossing em already, and I know Jamie is putting with them now as well.

The RDG facebook page has some pictures/videos including a cross section. I believe one of them may even be on the website under the listing.

It's fairly slow, especially for how low profile it is. It likes flying straight, has good high speed glide but does not want to continue gliding out at the end of its flight making it pretty predictable and easy to place. Straight at low and high speed, and will show some turn when thrown hard and flat but it doesn't want to deviate from launch angle too much. The lack of glide at low speed is possibly a feature of the thicker flight plate it has. I think it will be a nice compliment to the Serpent/Scale. The finish isn't as droppy as a serpent but maybe similar in a way, while requiring less effort to carry the same distance. It's amazing in a tail wind.
I plan on doing some more testing this afternoon but so far my best comparison is a classic roc with a little more modern feel. I am a little surprised Jamie isn't here talking them up already, I likely would have been stepping in after todays testing to do so myself.

RE New Serpent (and scales)
The new Tar Pit Serpents were what excited me most as well. I am loving them, they stick to the ground, soft enough for the right amount of comfort for my spin putt, but not too soft for me to FH or BH drive with confidence. They are ever so slightly puddle topped, but not to the extent of the new tarpit scales, which are easily my favorite run of scale yet. By far the most comfortable FH grip I have experienced with a scale.

The new tar pit Scale and Serps have now exceeded my range of shots and comfort I have been leaning on a berg for a long time. I want to go play some putter courses cause this pair makes me so excited for approach shots, and there aren't enough on my home courses.

I want to pick up a couple more for a better sample size. There is enough variation between my two, while I like both for slightly different uses (they compliment much like my nylon and amber chameleons) I am curious which is more typical being they are the same blend.

I did pick up 2 more Carnivore with my last order and got a good windy test round in.

My original pair were Purple and Creamsicle. The creamsicle being the "flippiest" it does show turn and flip up but still fights wind well. Its an amazing FH disc for me.

My purple was a beefcake. It handles headwinds as well as my go to spirit (older evo), but with a half of the fade, and possibly "dances" less. It has a little less glide than the spirit (but more glide than a lot of modern spirits) which likely is the reason. I have been throwing it in place of a fresh predator as well as for shots a lot of people may carry an Xcal for. I really only throw the Spirit when I need to get left into a headwind, need the glide on a spike hyzer or want the skip. It's easier to place the Carnivore.

The two new ones fall between my original two. The variance isn't major, but I do feel like one extreme to the other is maybe a little more than I would like to see although I am loving and bagging both. This isn't shocking knowing the Blurr had some similar consistencies. This is still less variance than I have seen between star wraiths, ballista pros or destroyers.

To really cap off my Carnivore thoughts. I need a Cobalt Carnivore. That could be a silly good disc, and my older hands would welcome the extra grip/flex on a lower profile driver.

RE Tortuga Proto:
It's fairly slow, especially for how low profile it is. It likes flying straight, has good high speed glide but does not want to continue gliding out at the end of its flight making it pretty predictable and easy to place. Straight at low and high speed, and will show some turn when thrown hard and flat but it doesn't want to deviate from launch angle too much. The lack of glide at low speed is possibly a feature of the thicker flight plate it has. I think it will be a nice compliment to the Serpent/Scale. The finish isn't as droppy as a serpent but maybe similar in a way, while requiring less effort to carry the same distance. It's amazing in a tail wind.
I plan on doing some more testing this afternoon but so far my best comparison is a classic roc with a little more modern feel. I am a little surprised Jamie isn't here talking them up already, I likely would have been stepping in after todays testing to do so myself.

Hmm, sounds similar to my shields. Interesting...