• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Reptilian Disc Golf Thread

Hey guys, the RDG two disc challenge is tomorrow and all the players are getting a glow Gila and their choice of premium plastic disc. Who wants to bet the one that runs out first?

I have;
Chameleon
Iguana
Carnivore
Komodo

Course is wooded/not super long and the player base is mostly MA3 if that helps.

The same number of each mold I assume?

The answer should be Chameleon, but I bet its Carnivore. I could see a lot of people going Komodo if they lean on firebird FH/BH in the woods often.

Which plastics Chameleon are you offering? Do they get to play with their own putters?

The same number of each mold I assume?

The answer should be Chameleon, but I bet its Carnivore. I could see a lot of people going Komodo if they lean on firebird FH/BH in the woods often.

Which plastics Chameleon are you offering? Do they get to play with their own putters?

They aren't identical numbers but all within a couple.
I've got the Nylon infused Chameleon and they look amazing.

Nope! We all have to use the RDG discs, and they didn't have enough putters for everyone so we are all putting with Gilas tomorrow.

Nice, the nylon are great. I still need to get my hands on a pair of regular armor, sounds like they are a touch softer. The nylon so far seems to be one of the most durable blends I have thrown for any driver. I have smoked a couple first available and don't really see the evidence. Not enough trees out here to really test durability though. Need to wait till the mountains aren't covered in snow and smash it on some rocks.

Most popular ended up being the Chameleon but 3 of the 4 division winners used another disc! MA1/MA2 used the Komodo and MA3 the Carnivore.

Everyone loved the discs though, super pumped for the tournament tomorrow to hand out some more!

So after both days the Chameleon was the one people gravitated towards the most quickly, and the Komodo was the most intimidating to the players. Iguana actually went really quickly today as well since it wasn't going to be one of two discs they players had to use.

If you are in the market for a straight mid, I have to say the plastic that the Iguana is in is amazing. It is pearly and most have some sparkles and faint swirls like vintage VIP/Opto plastic.

I got your deep takes on twitter, but this is probably a better place to actually talk. Things don't get buried the same here.

I am curious if learning an overstable disc just is something you do quicker and that led to success in that choice. Honestly Komodo would likely have been my choice for a mid length woods course too. I have played a few 2 disc events/buddy challenges in the past and generally went Pred-Wizard. (though my main courses now I would go nylon chameleon/wizard these days)

Or maybe successful gila putters also throw beefy drivers well too :D

I played a quick 9 friday with just Spirit, Chameleon, Gila, Wizard and thought of your event when I banged some gila putts from my wizard drives.

I got your deep takes on twitter, but this is probably a better place to actually talk. Things don't get buried the same here.

I am curious if learning an overstable disc just is something you do quicker and that led to success in that choice. Honestly Komodo would likely have been my choice for a mid length woods course too. I have played a few 2 disc events/buddy challenges in the past and generally went Pred-Wizard. (though my main courses now I would go nylon chameleon/wizard these days)

Or maybe successful gila putters also throw beefy drivers well too :D

I played a quick 9 friday with just Spirit, Chameleon, Gila, Wizard and thought of your event when I banged some gila putts from my wizard drives.

I think that's part of it, if you like to throw an overstable disc, another overstable disc is likely to perform well. The guys I saw throw the Chameleons often don't put quite enough on it to get it to do what they wanted. So that had to be a part of it.

The guy who won in Red(MA3 eq) threw tons of little FH flexes with the Carnivore and he put it straight in the bag for the C Tier Sunday and got T1 as well(lost the playoff though).

The Gila flies super nice, the glow one is a touch mellow and penetrated forward more than the Amber ones I have before its sharp fade.

Understable discs tend to take a full round before I start to get a handle on them. Release and nose angle, arm speed, height, etc. all need to be accounted for.

It only takes a handful of shots (for me) to figure out an overstable disc: throw a flat-ish hyzer to see how dumpy the fade is, then throw a steep anny to see if it fights out/how fast it fights out, adjust.

Even throwing it into the ground tells me something with an OS disc

Threw my new Carnivores around a bit tonight. The pink one is a little less stable than I thought it would be, but flies beautifully.

On a 400ft hole it got me a c2 putt going about 380 but didn't fade as much as I thought it might.

Then I used it on a spike hyzer line for this 300ft hole and it was C1 just long of the basket on the high spike hyzer line.

I didn't get a chance to try it on a forehand hole yet, but I am definite impressed with it so far.

The feel is unique, but very comfortable. I like a good blunt nosed driver.

Which color other than pink did you throw?

I've got the off white one. Actually threw it really well today. Got a birdie on this weird super left bending wooded shot with it. About 325 but at an odd angle.

Have broken out my Tyrants and have forgotten how stinking good they are. Been throwing them really well.

So my mids are now dominated by Reptilian Disc Golf, with an Iguana and a Gila being the main two. Can forehand or backhand either one and the Roc winter experiment is over with those kicking them out of the bag. The wombat 3 has hung on since it is straighter than the Iguana, however we will see what happens after the Iguana takes some tree hits and gets beat in a little. Loved the discount I got with the spring code on the site!

So my mids are now dominated by Reptilian Disc Golf, with an Iguana and a Gila being the main two. Can forehand or backhand either one and the Roc winter experiment is over with those kicking them out of the bag. The wombat 3 has hung on since it is straighter than the Iguana, however we will see what happens after the Iguana takes some tree hits and gets beat in a little. Loved the discount I got with the spring code on the site!

Thanks so much for giving our mid duo a try!

I think these two molds make for an extremely versatile combo while feeling nearly identical in the hand.

I am also down for a fossil iguana or 3. My pink amber has been my go to mid since it hit my doorstep. It straightened out a little so far, but really I may just be dialing the angles in. I bagged 3 buzzz previously and I am covering them all with my iguana (and my beat fossil gila taking the stable end).
Years of bagging buzzz and they were always power mids and I wasn't great at powering them down. I am better at shot shaping and powering down the iguana and the rare occasion that the few extra feet I could get with a beat buzzz the iguana doesn't quite cover is better to cover with a crave anyways. It's weird to have a core disc from my bag be gone and hardly missed…

Gila buzzz is still a spectacular combo. I have convinced some guys to bag the gila as a compliment to the buzzz in the past, already put an iguana in the hands of one of the guys who still had the gila, maybe another convert coming.

Gateway kept my top running over the weekend!

We have Tar Pit Scales and currently running is a Prototype batch of Glow Fossil!

I love gummy PnA so this most recent run is definitely something I've been begging for.

I can see myself throwing a single Sac this spring with: Scale, Iguana, Gila, Chameleon

Gila buzzz is still a spectacular combo. I have convinced some guys to bag the gila as a compliment to the buzzz in the past, already put an iguana in the hands of one of the guys who still had the gila, maybe another convert coming.

Keep spreading the RDG Gospel!

You're an incredible advocate

Latest posts