• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The road to 313.5 ft

orlandoduran

Kidding, sort of.

Here's a couple angles of different RHBH throws during the same session: https://imgur.com/a/x3S2Mhh

My max efforts are consistently around 310'. Historically, I've struggled with nose-up release (ultimate background), which I've tried to address by 'pouring out the teapot' and (trying to) keep my throwing shoulder around 90 degrees on my reachback. I know my off arm is all over the place and needs to be closer to my center of mass, but I'm guessing I have bigger fish to fry right now.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer!

Swing the disc into your center chest/sternum.

Swing the disc into your center chest/sternum.

Thank you for the response!

This inward swing should happen passively, correct? If so, do you have a sense of why it's not happening? Arm not loose enough? Failing to lag behind the rotation of the hips/torso?

One thing I struggle to understand is what to engage vs what to relax. While it's clear to me that the shoulder shouldn't maintain a 90 degree angle throughout the entire throw, it does seem that it should maintain at least that angle on reachback and in the pocket -- is that accurate? If so, what muscles should I be using to hold that angle? Seems possible to do it with just the front and side delt, but I think I'm primarily using lats and chest in opposition to keep it there.

Also, in your video you mention scapular retraction is incorrect -- does this mean the scapulae should remain protracted throughout the throw?

Thanks again!

This inward swing should happen passively, correct? If so, do you have a sense of why it's not happening? Arm not loose enough? Failing to lag behind the rotation of the hips/torso?

If your arm was completely loose it would just get stuck to your body (think of holding a rope and then rotating, the rope would wrap around you). So you have to direct the disc in some way during the swing or you will end up hugging yourself like SW22 explains in the first video. That is why you bend your arm which brings the disc into the center chest.

One thing I struggle to understand is what to engage vs what to relax. While it's clear to me that the shoulder shouldn't maintain a 90 degree angle throughout the entire throw, it does seem that it should maintain at least that angle on reachback and in the pocket -- is that accurate? If so, what muscles should I be using to hold that angle? Seems possible to do it with just the front and side delt, but I think I'm primarily using lats and chest in opposition to keep it there.

I'm sure SW22 could explain it better, but I think the part about being loose is letting the backswing pull your arm back to load it.

https://youtu.be/XC0LsBO_Wck?t=108

Then as you unload you have to direct the disc by bending your elbow which is effectively pulling the disc to your chest to load the elbow lever so the disc can explode out.

I think the inside swing drill can help with understanding this concept.

Latest posts