• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH Form Help - Where to start?

tallman_dg

I've been playing for a few years now and starting to take my throwing form more seriously - less casual rounds and more field work time. I video myself throwing a lot but not sure what problems I should be addressing first (or even what all problems I have!)

I don't really care about distance (right now at least), I just want to get to a point where my form is consistent, clean and repeatable and then worry about adding extra power. The main thing I've been working on recently is trying to get closer to a 90° angle in my shoulder - my pull through is usually really low, with the disc essentially in line with my belly button as it moves across my body. From what I've seen it's better to have it up by your chest? Struggling to overcome the muscle memory there.

This video was taken this morning, a quick field work session before work. Been practicing with a stack of Comets and just trying to get the disc to come out smooth every time. What should I fix first??

Attachments

• IMG_4138.mov
    8.6 MB
1. Use Youtube, this player sucks.

2. Changing form will typically lead to inconsistency at first. Consistency comes with practice.

3. You need to swing in tilted spiral, drop/swing your lead shoulder down into the throw. Note how vertical Eagle's shoulders are, so his arm maintains a ton of space out away from the body.

4. You are extending your rear knee instead of going into flexion.
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 2.59.08 PM.png

Thank you for the advice!! I'll use YouTube going forward, sorry about that. I've never noticed the vertical shoulders thing before, going to practice that now. Can you explain a little more about #4 with my knee - is that something I need to be actively trying to do, or will the flexion just happen naturally if the rest of my footwork improves? I don't have a staircase at home to work with but I'll figure out a way to do the swivel stairs. Those drill videos are super helpful - thank you!! Excited to put them into practice.

Can you explain a little more about #4 with my knee - is that something I need to be actively trying to do, or will the flexion just happen naturally if the rest of my footwork improves?
Learn to balance and relax and drop off the rear leg naturally just like the swivel stairs drill.