• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] the Shaman

I've been tossing the Shaman around in the yard a bit. I'm not falling in love too quickly. It's shallow and flat, flies understable out of the hand but has a surprising fade at the end. The SSS plastic feels nice, though.

Hit a tree and get back to us.

Seriously, mine went from straight with a fade to turnover city really quickly. And the first dead on tree hit resulted in me having to bend the wing back up to flat with my hands. I'm not complaining though, since I got this to cover understable approaches. It's also helping me work on hyzer flips. Really liking it.

I don't know if I can hit trees (on purpose) but maybe I'll flex it a bit and see if it works in. I could really use a nice understable disc that will ride an anhyzer around those trees that always seem to come between me and the basket.

I whacked a tree 20 ft from the teepad one day. Definitely loosened it up some but still throws nice.

I don't know if I can hit trees (on purpose) but maybe I'll flex it a bit and see if it works in. I could really use a nice understable disc that will ride an anhyzer around those trees that always seem to come between me and the basket.

Hah, yeah I guess I should have worded that differently. I'm excellent at accidentally hitting trees, so I don't have to do it on purpose.

I received two complimentary (THANK YOU DANNY!) Gateway Shamans as part of my last order of Gateway putters so I decided to do a couple of videos. The first one is a flight comparison where I throw the Shaman alongside a broken in and fresh Magic and Wizard.
Before you watch the video :
- I don't throw putters very far as I prefer to use them for control shot (nice way to say that my form sucks and that I have a noodle arm)
- All the shots you'll see are done with a fan or modified fan grip (I don't power grip putters)
- I'm LHBH

For the second video, I will do a more thorough review of the Shaman, including game throws and a lot of pictures comparing the Shaman to the Magic, Wizard and other discs. It should be up sometime next week, I will post it here when it is.

Gateway Shaman (175g, sure grip line) flight comparison video.
(Select 720p or 1080p to better follow the discs in the air.)

I received two complimentary (THANK YOU DANNY!) Gateway Shamans as part of my last order of Gateway putters so I decided to do a couple of videos. The first one is a flight comparison where I throw the Shaman alongside a broken in and fresh Magic and Wizard.
Before you watch the video :
- I don't throw putters very far as I prefer to use them for control shot (nice way to say that my form sucks and that I have a noodle arm)
- All the shots you'll see are done with a fan or modified fan grip (I don't power grip putters)
- I'm LHBH

For the second video, I will do a more thorough review of the Shaman, including game throws and a lot of pictures comparing the Shaman to the Magic, Wizard and other discs. It should be up sometime next week, I will post it here when it is.

Gateway Shaman (175g, sure grip line) flight comparison video.
(Select 720p or 1080p to better follow the discs in the air.)

Whats amazing is how you kept throwing the same discs but never had to go and go pick them up!?! JK, thanks for this video. I have a couple shamans I have been wanting to work with but I am not wanting to change my bag till the off season.

^^what is even more amazing is that you manage to post a reply 10 minutes after I posted the video, while the video is 11 minutes long :p. Got bored?

Haha! No worries. The video is actually long, but I'm sure most people get it way before the end of the video. I guess I made it long because I had all the shots available anyway, might as well provide them all for the few that might be interested! Hopefully it helps some people decide if they should try or not the Shaman.

Were the distances what you expected?

Do you mean if I had trouble gauging the distance of my throw with the Shaman? If so, not really. On anhyzer release, I had a couple of throws go a little too far cause it would flex out rather than go all the way to the ground, but that is mostly a user error and the fact that I don't really know the disc so well yet. I expect it to beat in a little more and don't flex back at all on small hyzer and flat release.

On Hyzer release, the disc is very easy to be accurate with. For the record, I was already throwing the Magic quite a bit and I found the Shaman to be able to fly very similar lines than a fresh S line Magic. It will fly a little faster and a little longer, and it grips easier, being so low profile. I had no problem gauging the distance of my throw with the Shaman and I do believe it's better suited for approaches than the Magic is. The Magic could have a tendency to glide past the basket, especially if broken in and on longer approches.
I can still see the use of the magic in my approach game as it lands very softly where I could see a little more ground action with the larger diameter and shallower disc that the Shaman is.

I hope that answers your question!

No, I mean relative to one another. I have never just taken out all my putters and thrown them that way, so I have no idea how long each one would be in relation to any other. Also, I play almost no holes where putter is a great option for me off the tee. The few i do play do not require much power, even with a putter.

Oh! There goes my detailed answer lol...

The shaman does fly faster than my Magic, on similar lines. Also, it flew straight longer on harder throws, where even a fresh magic would have a tendency to turn over slowly, needing more height to stay in the air. Bottom line, I found the Shaman to have a greater distance potentiel than the Magic because it handles power better.
For some reason, I think I could throw my eraser Wizard as far, or farther than the Shaman on similar power throw.
The adjustment in power between all the disc to get to the same place where marginal at best though, at least, it's what it felt like.

Shaman video review

So I said I'd do a video review of the Shaman, so here it is. I tried to keep it short, but english being my second language, I tend to talk a lot to say simple things.
Also, I took some comparison pictures to hopefully help some people judge if the Shaman might be a good fit for them. You can access all the pictures here : http://imgur.com/a/dQmB3#0
Some sample pictures :
GYjWX3Al.jpg

eMsEaEnl.jpg

iZKhhP1l.jpg

8X1YolQl.jpg

Video review

I hope you enjoy.

"video is private"

I liked the flight of the shaman, but the flight plate buckled on the first tree kick. I would throw an evo/platinum if they were just as flat.