• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

I use to struggle with taller mids/putters but figured it out when I started focusing on applying pressure with my index finger on the inside of the rim rather than trying to create a pinch point between my thumb on the flight plate.

That vRoc sounds interesting. Are they going to eventually have a production run? I know that they were released in limited quantities as a European Open fundraiser. Maybe JR can get his hands on one and give us a thorough review.

I'm gonna wait and see with the VRoc.

What's the verdict on the Roc+ after some years have passed? I'm not wading through this thread.

Sorry the VRoc does not interest me so i'm not getting one. Keltik the plus mold is only barely detectable in ease of clean release/not different but it will slip out easily even in dry summer weaher unless the disc is RPro. Or you'll need to squeeze hard and that is not for everyone. Pluses hold no real advantages flight wise so i'd think hard about getting one and would use non pluses as main Rocs.

The Roc + I had was RPro. I was pleasantly surprised by it early, but as it beat in the dome dropped. It got flat flat. Like no glide flat. So right when it should have been beat in perfectly, it was garbage. I've never had another disc do that to me. I wasn't interested in finding out if it was an anomaly or not.

The only Roc+ I got any mileage out of was the Champy/Star Tourney stamped ones. I was attracted to them because those came out pretty flat. Compared to a Rancho they had less fade and were just slightly faster. The down side of that was that with some breaking in they just weren't workable enough for my tastes. It flew sort of like a Roc mixed with a bit of Buzzz but it didn't season as well as either of them.

So far, this new Roc sounds like the Roc+ all over again.

Interesting. Normally flat Rocs are the best or almost flat ones because they are the most hss with slightly more distance and speed.

JR said:
Interesting. Normally flat Rocs are the best or almost flat ones because they are the most hss with slightly more distance and speed.
Yeah. My short throw is pretty spin reliant, so the fatter rim on the R+ responded well to it. The HSS was there but the LSS wasn't. I ended up with something that needed to be thrown very flat to get a good flight out of it. Minor errors on my part yielded a lot of unwanted lateral travel.

I always carry two midrange molds. Usually a Comet for touch shots and a more power hungry mid for winds and shots you really want to power into. The Star R+ didn't really give me anything great there. It wasn't a terrible disc, just not much of a Roc.

So R+ is garbage. Did Dave D ever capitulate on that one. I know he tried to justify it with the whole "feels like a driver in the hand" line.

I've thrown Rocs for quite a few years now. If you want a good dx you have to pick it out yourself. They can beat in fast and you will need to fill that slightly overstable slot again. If you want a great Roc with grip as good as a dx get the xt Rocs from the pro shop. Roc3s start off great but I just don't like them in all weather.

If you want to flatten Dx Rocs put them upside down on a very glad surface, fill them with boiling water and put something with a little weight to it on with the weight evenly distributed. It is really easy to overdo it and end up with a plus rim and an under stable disc. It is easier just to check out the latest run every now and then and when there is one that is good buy them all. If you have to buy one first to make sure, so what. Run back and buy.

keltik said:
So R+ is garbage. Did Dave D ever capitulate on that one. I know he tried to justify it with the whole "feels like a driver in the hand" line.
Dave D hates Rocs. Sad but true. He doesn't like 'em, doesn't throw 'em, and screws with 'em all the time.

Could I get a quick description/people's experiences with the classic roc? I think it sounds like a great tweener disc that can do a lot from holding wind, hyzer and anhyzer lines, and bring out gentle S curve with some power. I opted for buzzzes over the roc, but think this will be a great addition to my bag below my assortment of buzzzes but longer than my rhyno and jk aviar. Plus it would look good next to my 90's viper :)

It's a XD with a small bead (I think). Faster putter, but straight, beats in quickly to understableish. Very nice for finesse throws/up shots, etc... It would be a good compliment to a Buzzzz, but if you're looking for a mid, then just get a roc. Roc and Buzzzz can exist in the same bag just fine.

The Champ Classic Rocs were a sweet, good at everything, great at nothing type putter/mid. I don't think it shares the same top as an XD though, I was thinking that the CR didn't have a thumbtrac. Like the XD though, all the recent makes of the CR seem to be domey as shit.

Latest posts