• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

If "rim depth" is the correct dimension you're looking for... from on the PDGA site, the Mamba and Tern are both listed at 1.1 cm. The "rim thickness" says 2.1 for the Mamba and 2.3 for the Tern.

The Polecat, in contrast, has 1.6 and 0.7 numbers. So I figure that the Tern really does have a "shallow" grip.

preciate it, should have thought to check the #'s myself

that 1.1 depth is just way too shallow for me

preciate it, should have thought to check the #'s myself

that 1.1 depth is just way too shallow for me

No problem. Most of the time I'm the one asking for technical help so I was happy to be able to provide some! :D

And the shallow rim feels great to me! I love throwing Stingrays probably more than any other disc. I know that the Tern rim is A LOT wider, but I'm really hoping to dig he "shallowness" of it.

Thanks Man !!! I love La Mirada !!! :thmbup:

Going to make it up here for the VO Qualifier in march?

Edit: to keep on track going to take the tern out for some night golf in these winds and report back. All my previous throws have been in calm conditions.

There's also an older Discraft distance video of 6 of their team pro's throwing max D drives from an elevated tee. The best throws are hitting about 550 ft. Again, this is off an elevated tee(hole #13 at Kensington). They're throwing Surges, Avengers, etc.

i have thrown my tern a few times and so far i like it, for me its slightly more stable than my mamba but they are my farthest 2 flying discs 400-450' when the stars align but i have only been throwing for 3 months after a 13 year break.
i have fished with Bob never seen him throw a disc, just cuz you cannot throw a disc X number a feet and someone claims they can, then ask them for tips rather than calling them out! **** if you are ever in San Diego hit me up lets go throw!

but the Tern is a good little disc, i plan to get a few more in different weights.:D

60% is not under powering the Tern, thats what I am trying to say. It would be under powering a disc like a PD 2 or even a Star Destroyer. Thats why I called the Tern a finesse driver, you can finesse it at the right angle given proper conditions and it will glide a long way with much less effort than a disc that is much more stable.

My proto Tern is not even close to a Star Destroyer. If I throw my Tern flat and hard it will not even start to come back left.

Misinformation it was not. Everyone will different results with every disc. Why can you not grasp that fact.

Last edited:
My proto Tern is not even close to a Star Destroyer. If I throw my Tern flat and hard it will not even start to come back left.

Yeh, I was surprised the first few times I threw it. It was like WTF! I was throwing Quantum Astra's and QOLF's with it. So, that should give you an idea.

i have noticed with the Tern like my mamba if i snap it too hard it will keep going right. but if i knock back the power they fly VERY far!

Same here Eric. It's not a disc you can throw full power. Maybe some with less arm speed can and thats fine, nothing against that. But throwers with a really fast arm have to dial it down a notch.

If you knew anything about my or a lot of other rotator cuff injuries you would know that it's not the backhand motion that cause pain. Again, you speak out of your a$$.

Actually I do know about rotator cuff injury. Such as, you're better off with a complete tear than a partial. The pain is pretty much eliminated once it's torn completely. That may be where you're at with yours.

My brother had a torn rotator cuff for 3 years, and he had to go down in disc weight, among other things. Couldn't throw forehand, and just couldn't cut loose anymore.

And here we go with another insult at the end of your post. Why so angry?

I top out around oh, 320-350 on a good day with my Lace. But the D4 and the Tern are just blowing past that. I've boasted I hit 4 hundo with these, but that is not entirely accurate. More like 380. But I mean I ma just crushing my old distance, in the cold, with these two newest "understable" drivers. The D4, even for me, is truly understable and the first distance driver I could ever hyzer flip to perfection.

The Tern is a different beast entirely. I have three, and have thrown another. 2 are f2's, one is a sweet flag stamped proto and I threw my buddies production stamp. All were pretty much -2,2 for me, with the Proto maybe more like -2.5,1.75 and the f2's -2.25/2 but that is such a piddling difference it doesnt matter.

Unfortunatley we just got DUMPED ON with snow here...we've had maybe an inch since November and we got 4-5 inches in the last four hours. So I won't be playing any casual rounds until my Ice Bowl at Widefield on Saturday. Hole 1 (from the pro tee) is about 380 I would say, maybe 370, so if (when?!!?) I win the tourney I'll make sure to let you all know if I ace hole 1 LOL

Latest posts