• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Thrasher

ANY comparison for the Z vs Big Z Thrashers?

I hope they are exactly alike, but my guess is that Big Z may fly a little more understable. Anybody know?
I hope there will be ESP eventually, but hope that Discraft makes sure it stays at it's current stability. Any flippier and it'll be TOO flippy.

Played a round this morning with my 2 Z Tharshers, both ~168g. They were pretty flippy and I'd compare them to a champion roadrunner. Not a bad disc but I was hoping for something a hair more stable.

Can anyone compare/contrast to Discraft Heat? It's the only other Discraft Driver I have. I like it fwiw.

Also curious when anyone has plastic comparison to comment.

Thanks!

Can anyone compare/contrast to Discraft Heat? It's the only other Discraft Driver I have. I like it fwiw.

Also curious when anyone has plastic comparison to comment.

Thanks!

Im throwing the Heat as my main DD right now and am dying to get ahold of a thrasher for comparison. Will post when i get there!

I would consider the Thrasher to be a faster Heat. If that helps.

Psst, psst...don't trade your sweet stockpile of ESP Flash for the Thrasher just yet. ;)

Thrasher sounds more US, and less workable than the Flash.

Oh, definitely! It's an understable bomber and actually pairs nicely with a Flash.

Picked up a beauuuuuutiful pearly pink Big Z Thrasher with a red stamp. Grabbed it purely on looks, but damn is it a solid disc! Definitely understable, but not as flippy and (for my arm) unreliable as a Roadrunner or Sidewinder. With my poor form and wrist rolling, most understable molds are a crap-shoot of whether or not it's going to burn me into a roller. I know this is the archer not the arrow and I am working on correcting it, but in my current situation, that's where I'm at. HOWEVER! The Thrasher is a great turnover disc. Thrown flat, it turns a good bit and flattens out to end about 15-20 degrees right of center at about 325'-350'. And as others have stated, it holds an anhyzer like a charm. Very quickly made the bag as a left-to-right distance disc. It just throws with such ease and carries a line just like you expect it to, but still has the stability to hold straight when hyzerflipped, or come back to flat from a turnover without rolling all the way over. Instant fan of this disc.

Oh, definitely! It's an understable bomber and actually pairs nicely with a Flash.

I'm going to wait on ESP Thrasher(hopefully not too long) and use it to compliment the Flash, like you say. Right now I'm using a beat ESP Flash for turnovers, but it would be nice to have a more out of the box US driver like the Thrasher in that role.

Thanks for the info :)

I have both big z and first run z

I have both and can say the big z for me is very so slightly more US. The mold "dome" looks the same as does the rim. I feel that the slight US is the same between a heat in either z and x plastic. The big z thrasher is an opaque plastic that looks and feels closer to an esp plastic mixed with z plastic. I have found that any difference between the two can be corrected with a slight change in release angle so for me it flies the same to me.

I use a 170g heat in x plastic for most of my drives and get nice US long glide to about 300 to 325. If I try and throw a heat any harder or into a slight head wind it turns over hard and chashes or never stops going US. I love the heat and find it very predictable and pull it out of my bag 90% of the time until the thrasher came out this summer.

I am 41 years young and as much as I would love to tell you I can throw a 400 foot bomb I don't have the arm speed to do that, and I doubt most my age do if we are beginning truthful. So when they released the thasher it sounded like it was made for guys like me.

I picked up one of the first run thrasher's in 168g and my first hard drive with it was a slightly more stable version of my 170g heat in z plastic. This gave me the confidence to throw it a little harder than I would a heat and or even into a light head wind 5 to 7mph and know it would fly straight and come back in the case of head wind. For me throwing it hard and flat nets me around 350 very consistently or 300 to 325 into a slight head wind.

So in closing, the thrasher is now on par with what I pull for my drive, 50% heat and 50% thrasher and whether I'm going all out distance or need a little more control in no wind.

I think discraft will have a real winner on its hands if it drops some thrasher's in x or esp plastic next year.

I have both and can say the big z for me is very so slightly more US. The mold "dome" looks the same as does the rim. I feel that the slight US is the same between a heat in either z and x plastic. The big z thrasher is an opaque plastic that looks and feels closer to an esp plastic mixed with z plastic. I have found that any difference between the two can be corrected with a slight change in release angle so for me it flies the same to me.

I use a 170g heat in x plastic for most of my drives and get nice US long glide to about 300 to 325. If I try and throw a heat any harder or into a slight head wind it turns over hard and chashes or never stops going US. I love the heat and find it very predictable and pull it out of my bag 90% of the time until the thrasher came out this summer.

I am 41 years young and as much as I would love to tell you I can throw a 400 foot bomb I don't have the arm speed to do that, and I doubt most my age do if we are beginning truthful. So when they released the thasher it sounded like it was made for guys like me.

I picked up one of the first run thrasher's in 168g and my first hard drive with it was a slightly more stable version of my 170g heat in z plastic. This gave me the confidence to throw it a little harder than I would a heat and or even into a light head wind 5 to 7mph and know it would fly straight and come back in the case of head wind. For me throwing it hard and flat nets me around 350 very consistently or 300 to 325 into a slight head wind.

So in closing, the thrasher is now on par with what I pull for my drive, 50% heat and 50% thrasher and whether I'm going all out distance or need a little more control in no wind.

I think discraft will have a real winner on its hands if it drops some thrasher's in x or esp plastic next year.

I throw the Heat in X plastic, too.

Thrasher in X plastic PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm going to have to retract my previous statement about the thrasher being Roadrunner understable. I put my two Z's in the bag for a round yesterday and I don't think they're coming out. The red 167g is definitely understable and will not fight back at the end but the dayglo 167g is perfect. Might try to pick up a max weight one to see how it compares.

Still loving the thrasher. I treat it like a much longer meteor and I'm able to control it really well. Only distance driver I carry.

I threw a couple of friends' Z Thrashers, neither of which had significant wear. They didn't seem nearly as understable as the 0.4 stability rating implies. Less turn than a Heat for sure. I got a pretty straight flight with decent glide. I thought it flew a lot like my Amp.

As a 46 y.o. player who maxes out around 325, the Z Thrasher is really working for me. I have been throwing various versions of the Flow for the past year. And while I have learned to cover almost everything with the Flow, I was looking for something that was better for hyzer flip to flat, long anhyzers and just going far without finishing too hard left. After a few rounds, I think the Thrasher is going to fit that slot for me. It seems more stable than a .4 rating. I've been throwing a flat 280-300 ft shot at eye level that bends right in a banana shape, slowly begins to straighten out or even come back left at the end, and slides straight forward after it hits the ground. Very useful and something I could not pull off with the Flow. I would rate it as 12/6/-2/1 for me. And there aren't many fast drivers with the -2/1 turn and fade ratings.

I spent some time in the field with my 174g Slimer green FR Thrasher.
Short story: I'm very impressed. I felt like I had decent control over it even when it was stretching out over 450'

I bought a pair of FR Z Flashes when they were first released. One was stable the other was understable. I get the feeling this is how the Thrasher will be as well. Mine is definitely understable. The 450' throws needed a 30 degree hyzer to keep it from rolling. 30 degrees + height made it pop up, flatten out, turn-over through the apex, flatten out again, then fade forward. All of this was accomplished inside a tight little S curve, maybe 35-45' of lateral movement? 45 degrees and less height made it pop up to flat and ride it all the way to the ground with little-to-no fade. You gotta love the versatility of understable drivers.

Hyzerflips with understable drivers are beautiful to watch. I'm looking forward to watching more.
Having said that, I'd still like to try one of the more overstable Thrashers.