• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Discs on Pavement/Parking Lots

bdn8183

This is something I've seen in a lot of instructional videos, people throw their discs in empty parking lots (specifically a lot of Heavy Disc videos). So my question is what are other peoples thoughts on this?

Do some people think it doesn't have a real impact on the disc?
Are you using old/extra discs that you don't use in rounds?
Are you doing this to break in the discs?

Thanks!

This is something I've seen in a lot of instructional videos, people throw their discs in empty parking lots (specifically a lot of Heavy Disc videos). So my question is what are other peoples thoughts on this?

Do some people think it doesn't have a real impact on the disc?
Are you using old/extra discs that you don't use in rounds?
Are you doing this to break in the discs?

Thanks!

I'm sure people are doing it for a variety of reasons.
I've done it when the grass is soaking wet, or covered with snow, and an asphalt parking lot is my only option. I have plenty of extra discs, and don't mind getting some scrapes on some throwers.

I used to do it to break in brand new high end plastics, and empty parking lots make for good large "fields" to practice in as most actual ball fields are typically occupied by other activities and too small when you throw far.

Most smooth pavement isn't very hard on discs when landing. A lot of the premium plastics today will hold up to quite a few throws without changing drastically. Spiking them into it is another thing vs skipping off and landing flat.

Where I practice(PHS) there's a couple of slabs of highly finished concrete that I throw to(If all goes as intended)... one's a small b-ball court, and the other is a shot put circle(?)(the concrete was too slick it seems as the school came back and hit it with a chisel to give it some needed traction)...Anyway I have never seen bigger skips when hit just so... It's awesome to behold... but yeah, when hit wrong, your disc is going to pay. I have Firebird that's more of a Roadrunner thanks to those pads(albeit in Pro plastic). I would also add that some of the hardest scuffs to remove from a disc comes from throwing on asphalt and/or the stuff running tracks are made of on a summer day in Az.

Yeah that's what I was kind of thinking. I actually really want to break in one of my lucid truths. With snow on the way parking lots are going to be my best option for practicing. Might need to stock up on a few more truths!

During one of the Ace Races, I could be seen bending, folding, and throwing my disc as hard as I could at the pavement before the round started. People looked at me like I was crazy.

I ended up winning with 2 aces and 4 metals.

Mine was the only one that wasn't overstable.

I have no idea why anyone would do this. To me none of the presented ideas makes any sense. I do not take my new car out to a corn field and bounce it all over to loosen up the suspension either.

I was practicing on a side road with DX plastic and found out that hitting curbs will change the flight of those real quick.

I do this to break in my roller discs.

There is a local guy here that throws his understable drivers into the pavement with a few spike hyzers before he ever throws them. Always seems strange but he beats me consistently so who am I to judge.

I could see doing this in a trilogy challenge or Ace race when you need to have something more under stable. But I just prefer to buy my plastic that has the flight pattern I'm looking for and let them break in naturally.

I still cringe every time I taco a disk against a tree,,, which unfortunately happens a lot.

that's funny, read the title and thought... "man, I love a good parking lot session"

Easiest way to find them quick and no goose pooh to deal with. MVP and lucid / bio-fusion discs are pretty much un-harmed after years of this. If I threw base plastic, it'd be a different story.

Discs are for throwing... if I didn't want to lose / beat up a disc, then it wouldn't go into my bag. I have one perfectly beat old DX roc that I don't throw on parking lots.

The only abrasive surface that is allowed to touch my discs is sandpaper. Then again, I like my discs to last. Nothing beats having a broken-in disc with no notches or gouges. A parking lot chucker will never know this joy.

Heh - nothing wrong with speeding up the break in a bit. Reminds me of this summer when I lost my favorite beat in teebird practicing a course the week before a tourney. After a huge oh crap moment and some failed thumber practice to accelerate the break in of my back up I decided on a rainy day that some indoors driving practice was in order. I was quite surprised how long it took of full power drives into my concrete basement walls before I beat enough stability out of my backup.

Ya i have three brick wall back up flippy teebirds.

Didnt work on roc3s :/

Yeah that's what I was kind of thinking. I actually really want to break in one of my lucid truths. With snow on the way parking lots are going to be my best option for practicing. Might need to stock up on a few more truths!

If the flashing is too prominent, I will throw backhand line-drive sliders on parking lots or cement to help remove the flashing, as opposed to regular throws. Works well. I guess doing that will break in the disc as well, but I have heavily wooded courses to do that for me naturally. My lucid truth settled in nicely just from use.

The only time I've ever done this is when I bought a new disc that was supposed to be fairly straight with a tad bit of turn but it was way too stable. I could hardly get it to fly straight so for one round everytime I would get ready to throw I would backhand it flat on the tee-pad to scuff the bottom and slightly along the rim. It's not something I enjoy doing for the reasons that thugnificent listed...but it worked

Latest posts