• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

thumber disc

bucknuts

Par Member
I am better at doing tomahawks than thumbers. I use a 150 Flick or Cyclone for tommies.

I am asking you all if it is better to get a thumber disc that are understable??? Just wondering...

Depends on what you want out of it, and what kind of distance you get throwing thumber's/tommy's, More overstable, you get a slower turn, more distance potential, but will have to compensate for the turn more. Understable will turn faster and depending on the throw, and how understable it is, can come back almost to the release point. Both thumber and tommy will do the opposite of each other,(think right hand vs left hand) depending on how much snap/speed/spin is generated.

i would consider myself an above average thumber/tomahawk thrower and have found good results with firebirds.

I use a Z-reaper for thumbers. I've tried others, but none seem to fit the way I throw them as good as the reaper. firebirds, teebirds, xtremes, banshees, max, ect. I can throw a max further, but with that wide rim every so often they come out wrong...and I mean way wrong. So I'll stick with the reaper for as long as they make them, and I have them.

As for tommies, I am not near as good at them, but I throw a Z-avenger usually when there is nothing else that will work other than a tommie. Hurts my arm to much to throw many of them.

I don't throw thumbers much anymore since I hurt my should (only to get out of tight spots), but when I did I was averaging around 300' with a Champ Eagle-x.

I also tried out Firebirds, Teebirds, Flicks, and Orcs....really overstable discs seemed to limit the lines I could hit, and understable didn't have the distance potential...I found the Eagle-x was the best stability for me.

I wanted to love the Predator for tomahawks, but it's very uncomfortable in the hand for that sort of throw, so I went back to the ol' Champ Firebird. (And I eventually traded away the Pred since that's the only shot I ever used it for...)

I don't throw thumbers either, I throw what I known as a hammer in ultimate. Is this a tomahawk?

Most thumbers for me are with an ESP Predator, It turns very predictably halfway through the flight and ends up only slightly left of my release point. I have a Z Flick that is auditioning for the overhand spot. I can get a little better grip on the rim. We'll see.

Sometimes I'll use a beat Buzzz if it has to flip quick and get down in a hurry. Usually only for short distances though.

I like to throw short hammers/tommies for quick up and downs, or to get out of trouble. For those it's usually a Rattler. It flips over and lands upside down, no bounce,skip,roll.