• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which overhand shot was this hole 17 WACO?

Not exactly the same situation, but similar. USDGC #17 has netting above the tee to make overhand shots impossible. Not sure how "easy" it would be just to lob one in there.

Ease aside, not sure how necessary that is. It seems like a very low percentage chance to actually get the eagle there.

Thumbers usually pan out, but his landed like a grenade when it stopped right there.
Not at all. It's all dependent on stability of the disc, wrist action, and power.

Here is zenbot's OH Rant: Copypasta for your perusal.

zenbotticus "robotface" rex said:
There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for overhand. I use mine for distance thumbers and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.

To read more about thumbers and tomahawks here's some other threads you might enjoy...but you don't have to take my word for it.

6380.jpg

Why overstable for OH?
Thumber disc poll
OH distance
overhand plastic
Thumber Tips
Whats your favorite overhand disc?
Tomahawk vs. Thumber
Overhand Throws: Does discing down still apply?
What was your overhand disc of 2010?
Thumber disc?
Thumber/tohahawk thing...
Disc Selection for Overhand Shots
best tomahawk/ overhand driver?
thumbers - good discs to buy
Overhand disc
What is the best overhand disc?
Favorite Tomahawk Disc?
Trying to incorporate the Tomahawk into my game.
Help: Overhand throws.
Thomahawk and Thumber
Overhead Discs
mid or putter thumbers?

Last edited:
Just how long has this post been on your clipboard? Haha! Great stuff :hfive:
To answer your original question grenades do not go far. It's borderline impossible to throw one 400' - I'm sure a video exists somewhere but it's just not likely. This video displays someone RH dominant, a lefty on this tee (same line) would have thrown a thumber.

Think of a grenade like a turbo putt, they're practical and useful in rare occasions but should seldom be applied to your low score.

To answer your original question grenades do not go far. It's borderline impossible to throw one 400' - I'm sure a video exists somewhere but it's just not likely. This video displays someone RH dominant, a lefty on this tee (same line) would have thrown a thumber.

Think of a grenade like a turbo putt, they're practical and useful in rare occasions but should seldom be applied to your low score.
I've thrown a grenade over 400. Level ground.
But it wasn't on the shot shape required for this shot. I doubt someone can throw this specific kind of shape with a grenade 400', you'd be right about that.

(For anyone wondering how: use a Bonapane grenade grip and a very understable disc with glide. The grenade will barrel roll to right side up and then fly like an opposite-hand backhand)

Last edited:
I've thrown a grenade over 400. Level ground.
But it wasn't on the shot shape required for this shot. I doubt someone can throw this specific kind of shape with a grenade 400', you'd be right about that.

(For anyone wondering how: use a Bonapane grenade grip and a very understable disc with glide. The grenade will barrel roll to right side up and then fly like an opposite-hand backhand)

Bonopane grenade grip sounds really uncomfortable, but now I really want to try that shot out.

Anyone else wondering what the heck this grip is?
A LOT of grips at the DGR page on grip... I'm not sure who told me to try Bonapane upside down for a grenade but it throws some hilarious shot shapes with flippy discs. Throw it with a little height and plenty of power and it'll barrel roll over for you.

Conventional Grenade:
attachment.php

(Which I can NOT throw far)

Bonapane Grenade:
attachment.php

(which I got to barrel roll and fly over 400 with a 168 VIP Destiny)

Attachments

• PXL_20230317_175202155.jpg
    PXL_20230317_175202155.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20230317_175133658.jpg
    PXL_20230317_175133658.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 99
Index finger on rim, thumb over to lock it in. Tristan Tanner uses it and I think Kev Jones.

I have messed with it after TT started messing with it before even leaving for tour. I could kind of snap em better but not nearly the control I got with a traditional grenade.

I have messed with it after TT started messing with it before even leaving for tour. I could kind of snap em better but not nearly the control I got with a traditional grenade.

It is mostly superior for me. Due to the landscape in my parts I end up throwing a bunch of grenades and only do them with that grip unless I'm throwing a <100' putter grenade.

I've never gotten the flip&ride though, but I haven't messed around with it for a year or two.

It takes a decently flippy disc for me to get the flip and ride. Most of my grenade shots are shorter and usually are taken with stego spike hyzers, basically fly like a grenade.

Getting off topic, but I don't have a tommy (good thumber though) but I do like throwing a shot that grips like a grenade but thrown like you are trying to sky roll a OS disc. They go way up and come down left, steeper than a spike hyzer but not as steep as a grenade, like up and over and then left.

It takes a decently flippy disc for me to get the flip and ride. Most of my grenade shots are shorter and usually are taken with stego spike hyzers, basically fly like a grenade.
I've used the two types of grenades for two very different purposes.

1. Regular grenade, with the thumb on rim only grip, basically exactly what you described here.

2. Very specific circumstantial shot: holes where I typically need a very high forehand hyzer but an overly stiff headwind means that I'm likely to either flip it (if its too low) or get lifted/stalled (if its the normal appropriate height) and the ground conditions or obstacles are bad for a low running shot with a long flare skip. I can get the necessary height to get the longer right fade I need and the rolling portion of the flight allows it to get more forward penetration before the wind grabs it on the fade portion and tries to lift it. (and definitely - has to be flippy!)

Also the more I think about it the more I want to credit Steve Mills (often seen caddying on Jomez practice rounds) for telling me to try this shot/grip out sometime way back in the `00s.

Overall that second flight is something I used to use when I was practicing so often that I had time to practice it regularly. Its just too touchy to mess with unless I have a great feel for my release. Nowadays I just break it out casually to show people who've never seen it before, to try to open them up to the fact that discs can fly in ways they may not have imagined.

Getting off topic, but I don't have a tommy (good thumber though) but I do like throwing a shot that grips like a grenade but thrown like you are trying to sky roll a OS disc. They go way up and come down left, steeper than a spike hyzer but not as steep as a grenade, like up and over and then left.
Grenade grip on a skamahawk? Thats what it sounds like you're describing. I've never tried it or even thought of trying it. I am gonna head to a course later, I think I'll f* around with it. Sounds fun! I'm always down to learn a shot that gives me a new shape.