• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

thumbers - good discs to buy

My two favorites are me CE Teebird for distance (I don't have much pop) and a 150 class Flick. The Flick is more for espcape type shots and handgrenades.

I dont see how people can bring themselves to throwing thumbers and tomahawks with CE plastic. I know guys that use Pearly KC TB's and CE Leos for over-hand shots and it makes me cringe everytime. Firebirds and Whippets I can understand but I think I could find a cheaper disc to throw seeing how I'm going to WRECK the top flight plate. :wall:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Champion Max. My favorite thumber disc for distance. Will keep straight up and down for a while, then do a slow thumber turn. For the shorter shots I like the fast turning Boss or Ape. I don't like the smaller rimmed firebirds, I don't feel you can get the snap. I can get a champ max to fly 450.

I've never tried a Max. Maybe that will be the next one I give a try.

Since this thread was made a year and a half ago, I have tried various Flicks and a xXx and so far my favorite is still a 170ish Flicks and they have to be as flat as can be. Oddly enough; usually yellow. :\

I remember playing a tourney with jay reading, where during the awards ceremony, he said he one it for the "disc golf purists" because 2 other guys on his card only threw thumbers off the tee and everything except for putting.

I was at that tournament and I throw pearly pro firebirds in the 162-170 range for my thumbers.

For those of you that donated your sense of humor to charity for then Holiday Season, that was called a jest. An obvious one if I do say so myself. I hope Mr. Reading would realize that.

Sorry for the double post.

Im surprised that no one has given a shout for any gateway plastics yet. They make almost exclusively overstable discs. I have had both a speed demon and a spirit that I can thumb (or tomahawk ) much better than my firebird, or boss. Its probably just my preferences.

If you go gateway tho, make sure to get that E-HPP plastic. Everything else they make seams to get beat to hell REALLY quick. Especially if you are throwing OH.