• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Thumbers/Tomahawks; what are goods discs?

iLessThan3DiscGolf

Par Member
Looking to add a reliable overhand shot to my game. I've tried a couple different discs, and working on form for the shot but haven't yet dialed it in. Looking for some advice.

Tried:
Star FL - Z Surge - Champ Destroyer - Star Destroyer. I do have an Avenger to use if needed. Nothing really stood out.

What do you guys use for overhand shots?

Any tips or tricks for dialing it in?

Started with an ESP Nuke, but it got way too beat up and US, so I switched to a moderately beat up DX Destroyer. Have nearly aced with it 3 times overhand. Lately I've been experimenting with a new Z Nuke, not sure how I feel about it yet.

aviar for short range. just saying that cuz it proves any disc can have thumbing purpose

I prefer nice OS discs for my tommys, and I down like throwing them with slower discs just because I find the slower flip to mess with me a bit. I used the Pred for quite some time and liked that, and also use the stiletto for this shot at well. Both very nice choices in my opinion.

More than half of those are over two years old...id think peoples opinions of thumber discs may change over the years as all this new plastic comes flying around...

Just because a thread is old doesn't mean it isn't worth reading. Im willing to bet 90% of people answer Firebird, XXX, Flick, Whippet, Banshee or Nuke OS. Most people like over stable discs for max distance because they pan slower. Most people also like stable or under stable discs for shorter quick flipping shots & accuracy. Any disc can be thrown overhand & depending on its level of stability it will fall into one of those two categories. If you would of read almost any of those threads you would of figured that out for yourself.

Looking to add a reliable overhand shot to my game. I've tried a couple different discs, and working on form for the shot but haven't yet dialed it in. Looking for some advice.

Tried:
Star FL - Z Surge - Champ Destroyer - Star Destroyer. I do have an Avenger to use if needed. Nothing really stood out.
What do you guys use for overhand shots?

Any tips or tricks for dialing it in?

I throw thumbers quite often and can get them out to 300ft. on flat ground with a 11x Firebird or Glow Champ Whippet-X. I started out using a Champ Teebird until i developed more power, i still use them if i need a quick flip. My next Thumber disc was the Champ Banshee which i still use pretty often for Thumbers out to around 250ft. Once i'd mastered those i got some 11x Champ Firebirds and Glow Champ Whippets which i use for max distance Thumbers and they are also great all around utility discs. My advice is to start out with something like the Teebird and then work your way up. Once you develop your OH i would still stay away from anything faster than a Firebird, Flick, Predator, or XXX. Rims wider than those are not comfortable to grip and hinder a good release. Hope this helps and good luck.

Just because a thread is old doesn't mean it isn't worth reading. Im willing to bet 90% of people answer Firebird, XXX, Flick, Whippet, Banshee or Nuke OS. Most people like over stable discs for max distance because they pan slower. Most people also like stable or under stable discs for shorter quick flipping shots & accuracy. Any disc can be thrown overhand & depending on its level of stability it will fall into one of those two categories. If you would of read almost any of those threads you would of figured that out for yourself.

Always a ray of sunshine...

And I answered Stiletto btw...don't think your going to find that name in your 2011 threads. Its not a bad thing to update and start new threads every few years.

Always a ray of sunshine...

And I answered Stiletto btw...don't think your going to find that name in your 2011 threads. Its not a bad thing to update and start new threads every few years.
So your familiar with my work :D I don't converse with tact online or in person. I just say things how I see it & if anyone dislikes me for it, so be it. The Stiletto is a good disc but from my experience most people prefer lower speed over stable discs because of the smaller rims. I fell I get more snap (acquainting to more distance) & a better grip with smaller rims when throwing overhand, to each their own.

To the OP, I throw a flat top Champion Firebird for max distance overhand shots. I toss a Champion Teebird for short shots that require deadly accuracy. For reference I can get around 325-350' of distance overhand pretty much at will. I recommend whatever disc you choose to throw overhand with to get it in a premium plastic. Overhand shots are abusive to discs so premium plastic helps discs to retain their stability longer than base line plastic discs.

Stiletto wasn't that good with thumbers. it starts roll really slowly but end is quite quick. It doesnt gain as much distance with same power comparing to XXX for example. Now i have XXX for long range, halo for medium range and sidewinder for short range and small gaps.
New discs i have tested. tresspass was quite good, bit longer than halo. Prodigy d1 was also nice. easy to aim almost hit the basket roof with it. MVP Shock was surpricingly long but aiming it perfectly needs few throws more. Gyro makes it hard to roll. I need to test MVP resistor too.

I see the value in searching for old threads to read up before asking a question, but at the same time its easier for somebody to just answer the question than to paste a dozen links to old threads.

With that said, I like the firebird for over hands and will use a beat up first run s pd for something that needs to flip faster.

Frankly, I find it more annoying when someone derails a thread while spergin' out to backseat moderate.

Back on topic, I get the most accurate thumbers with my champ eagle.