• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Time for a Roc?

Mjc4043

From taking advice from other threads on the site, I have been focusing more of my game on my mid/putter game. I have seen good results all around and feel more confident as a player. Currently I have been throwing;

~175 champ beast (found, no name no number no posts) exclusively for extra long open forehand shots - it's a bit too heavy for me to throwing RHBH.

~168 champ leopard. Usually what I tee-off with on shots >250ft. RHBH.

~150 DX Shark. From a starter pack my girlfriend bought (her first disc was a mid-range so she got the pack for the driver/putter and I took the mid)

~165 DX Aviar. Shorter approach shots and putts.

I love the shark, but don't feel too comfortable tee-ing off with the disc because of it's weight - I frequently turn it over or it struggles against the wind. At any rate it doesn't feel consistent and I usually use it for wooded approaches and overhand shots.

I was thinking of stepping up to a roc in a heavier weight. Can someone help me out with the seemingly many versions of the roc (i.e. classic/ontario/regular) and with a suggestion regarding weight (I've noticed some mid-range discs can come pretty heavy). Thanks

-Michael

Since you like the Shark and are already used to it I'd just go for one about 20-25 grams heavier, but it never hurts to try out new discs either. I've tried the Buzzz and Roc, but ended up sticking with the Buzzz and have not regretted it one iota. Typically you'll want your mids a little heavier than your drivers so if you're comfy with the 168 Leopard, a 175ish Buzzz, Shark or Roc should be right up your alley.

i agree with what everyone has said so far...since your used to the shark it might be a good idea to get a heavier one, because no 150g disc is gonna cut it in the wind....but then again if your looking for something new i would def recommend a roc or buzzz....me personally i throw a roc but both discs are great and its all about personal preference....

if you do get a roc i suggest and flat top

Thanks guys. Based on the unavailability of champ rocs, and the fact that I have already learned the shark, I think I'll stick to it for now. Thanks for the weight suggestions... I think I'm going to look for a 173-175.

Just pick up a regular 180g DX Rancho. There is a reason it's a legendary disc.

A fresh new Roc is always fun, but they're not the super versatile discs you've been hearing about until it gets beaten in some. So stick with it awhile.

Yeah, the Buzz is a great disc too but I've never seen anyone pull off a long sweeping anhyzer with a Buzz. A seasoned Roc will take any line you put it on. Rocs are great in the KC Pro plastic (and I always carry one), but you need a DX one to get the full range of shots because it just takes so long to beat in a KC Roc. Don't search too hard for any particular Roc mold unless you want to spring for one of the Champion or Star Rocs. I think the Ontario mold is best for the premium plastics, but cycling through DX Rocs is really the way to go.

You'll see a big difference if you pick up a heavy Shark. IMO, Sharks are great discs to learn with but they are discs you sort of grow out of after awhile.

If you're wanting to try a Roc, it might be better for you to try a DX over a Champion. I never could get the hang of them, but I think most of the love of this disc comes when it gets broken in. Trying a DX will help you learn about the various stages of the disc's break in period to determine whether you want to keep using it.

Yeah, the Buzz is a great disc too but I've never seen anyone pull off a long sweeping anhyzer with a Buzz.

You must not have seen many people throw a Buzzz then because that's one of the disc's specialties and actually does it better and more consistent than any disc I've ever thrown.

I'm a Buzzz convert myself but Rocs are great too. Don't worry about the DX plastic, DX Rocs don't warp nearly as fast as DX drivers do and if you want to try out a Roc you can't beat the price. Virtually all DX rocs currently are of the Rancho mold, including bottom stamps. If you get one, look for a flatter top as opposed to a domey one.

From taking advice from other threads on the site, I have been focusing more of my game on my mid/putter game. I have seen good results all around and feel more confident as a player. Currently I have been throwing;

~175 champ beast (found, no name no number no posts) exclusively for extra long open forehand shots - it's a bit too heavy for me to throwing RHBH.

~168 champ leopard. Usually what I tee-off with on shots >250ft. RHBH.

~150 DX Shark. From a starter pack my girlfriend bought (her first disc was a mid-range so she got the pack for the driver/putter and I took the mid)

~165 DX Aviar. Shorter approach shots and putts.

I love the shark, but don't feel too comfortable tee-ing off with the disc because of it's weight - I frequently turn it over or it struggles against the wind. At any rate it doesn't feel consistent and I usually use it for wooded approaches and overhand shots.

I was thinking of stepping up to a roc in a heavier weight. Can someone help me out with the seemingly many versions of the roc (i.e. classic/ontario/regular) and with a suggestion regarding weight (I've noticed some mid-range discs can come pretty heavy). Thanks

-Michael

you should know by now that its always time for a roc!

If you get one, look for a flatter top as opposed to a domey one.

Depends on what you're looking for in a Roc. The flat-tops are a bit faster and they penetrate the wind better, but they don't have good glide...the dome is what gives it most of its glide. I used to throw the old Ching Rocs religiously, but after switching over to a regular Rancho mold, I've seen considerable added distance...they just hang in the air a lot longer than the Flat-tops.

I also vote for a regular DX Rancho Roc...easiest to find/replace. Like everyone else said, they just keep getting better with age.

i agree with what everyone has said so far...since your used to the shark it might be a good idea to get a heavier one, because no 150g disc is gonna cut it in the wind....but then again if your looking for something new i would def recommend a roc or buzzz....me personally i throw a roc but both discs are great and its all about personal preference....

if you do get a roc i suggest and flat top

Not true my little friend. I have a champ roc and a champ firechicken that are just fine in the wind

Flat Top Roc 180g.

I use this thing as a driver as well as a mid-range. The STRAIGHTEST flying disc I own. Period.

And I love TeeBirds, but the FT Roc is the best disc in my bag.

Latest posts