• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips or advice for working with a business (ski) to build a course

Menacewarf

Double Eagle Member
Right down the road I have a small ski resort which is an alternative to a nearby bigger one. Given this winter from hell here I have taken to go down to their parking lot when the resort is not open and throwing discs in their empty parking lot.

The other day I had a car drive over to me and I thought hmm, either random question or inquisitive employee. Sure enough it's neither but actually the General Manager introducing himself with a card and saying they have interest in getting in a course. I told him that sounded great, that I have one nearbye that I've built, and I'd get a hold of him soon.

So now I've been thinking and I have a lot of questions about how I should get involved. First off I'm very interested in getting a course put in their, for personal enjoyment, personal pride, to try to bring disc more to my mini area, and to try to promote disc amongst local young people.

I assume my first e mail should just be general enthusiasm and set up a meeting. My gut is to not be selling anything yet but wait until we get in person. Then I was thinking I could pretty much come up with a list of, goals/benefits to building the course and just go over those with the GM while we walk potential grounds.

One of my biggest concerns is which way to potentially gear the course. In one sense one of my main goals is to promote the sport amongst young people and new players. On the other hand I have a strong desire to make a course that has some genuine challenge for an experienced player and/or make a great tourney style course. So that is he rub. Which aproach? Try to walk the line and appeal to both? Or don't try to do everything (and potentially trend to one side and end up missing the mark) and instead stress multiple tee pads? Or another setup I really like is a pitch and put 9 and a more difficult 18?

And this brings up the next point....how much to ask is too much? Do I just have to feel it out and read the enthusiasm to know if I'm pushing to hard. Should I have budget estimates ready for the different options and be able to tell him on the spot or should I leave it more vague and just feel it out? This is the part where I think someone with some experience might be able to help me, because as it is now my plan is pretty much as said above; prepare, feel it out through the email a bit maybe, and then really try to feel it out in person. Maybe in a reply email send him an outline of the different options? OTOH I feel like if one option is vastly preferable than I don't really even wanna offer the others.

You can see where my round and round though pattern is so far:)
Oh and the question I had was....I'm totally willing to volunteer a decent amount, but don't necessarily wanna talk myself or others out of any contract work. So how do I approach that?
Thanks for the help y'all!

I would think having at least a rough budget would be a good thing. Let him know up front what he's getting into. Getting 18 or 27 quality baskets isn't cheap as I'm sure your aware from the building of your own amazing course. Not to mention the costs of building teepads, renting equipment, clearing trees, and the other odds and ends that go into building a public course. Maybe have listings for different basket prices.

I kinda feel like it could go either way. Like, they could completely be underestimating the cost and then I would hafta sell the bare bones just to get anything in. On the other hand maybe they would like the idea of having a world class course and be happy to spend accordingly. Gonna hafta see.

does he play? if not maybe you could take him on a tour of your course. You never know he might be one of those guys that throws one shot and the next day has ordered a dozen discs. Show him the difference between your baskets(I have the same one lol they don't catch for ####) and some more durable ones.

One thought is that he's going to be looking for additional income, so whatever option brings the most players. That would be dependent on where it is, in relation to population centers and other courses.

Innova has some good presentation materials. And you might get a list of other ski facilities that have disc golf courses, to show him.

I would love to get a hold of some visitor numbers from really popular great courses. Sabattus for example in Maine does tons of buisness all for 7-8 months although their is definitely more population out their. But if I could get a hold of some positive numbers for a course a bit out of the way, that invested in a great course, and got great visitor numbers that would be a great selling point. Because ultimately I think that is the best investment. Build two courses (a red and a blue), higher a world class designer, reduce me to chainsaw monkey/ league TD or high school coach, put on a kick ass tournament or two every year, ultimately that would be the best choice IMO but like many things in life cost can be prohibitive.

It might help to get in touch with some of the ski resorts in VT and NH that have built courses. Smuggler's Notch, Killington, Sugarbush, and Mount Sunapee all have courses in the summer.

The is a ski area where I live that we are hoping will put a course in. They are looking for summer activities for an expansion project. The park sits on around 250 acres so there is plenty of room for a real solid course. I am really hoping that we can convince them to put a course in there as it will generate revenue for them during the off season and it is also the best piece of land in our city to do a phenomenal course.

I got a response back. Sounds like we will likely get a course in though their won't be a huge budget so that will be the rub. I'll give another update soon.

Great news. Just walked the grounds with the GM. The terrain is perfect, and ready made. Ski trails, so rolling well defined fairways 30-100 feet wide. The GM is into it, and may be able to fund 18 baskets as soon as June. I'm thrilled. They will mow, are into hosting tournaments, are more concerned about establishing a culture than pinching pennies (donation box initialy at least). Really every part of the visit went perfectly.

Latest posts