• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To those of you without your own baskets, how do you practice putting?

Never ever underestimate your personal potential. It might not be disc golf, it might not be garage door repair, but don't cut yourself at the knees by negative thinking. Imagination is powerful.

I threw at a Chair on my Deck. Was not effective. So I spent $150 on a target. Was a great purchase IMO. My putting is better, and if I want to keep my wife out of the garage I just start hitting the chains...:thmbup:

Love your setup though. Reminds me of my childhood.

Last edited:
I made two targets out of pipe covered with pool noodles. (Stuff I had on hand) The noodles were to brighten the target so I could see them easier.

I live right next to a course so its a 3 min walk. However, the wife said i could buy a basket when i won my first pdga tourney. That was last weekend. Think its safe to bring the subject up again. :thmbup:

Congrats on the win! For best results, try to keep the smugness out of your voice when you broach the basket idea again. :p

I have a recliner in my den...if I go to the other side of the room, its at least 15-20 feet.

I've broken some stuff...but I try to fill the chair with discs when I have free time.

I'm about 10 minutes away from a small short little course (4 baskets) that's inside a subdivision. No one really uses it any more due to the fact that it used to be a 9 hole course but then neighbors started complaining that discs were going in their yard and DGer's were climbing their fences to get them. So they took down a bunch of baskets. So before I got my Mach Lite I would just ride my bike over to that neighborhood. The holes are so short, I think the longest is like 245', it's great to practice throwing putters off the tee and I could practice putting for as long as I wanted with out being disturbed. Pretty sweet deal.

My home course has a practice basket and I putt a lot before and sometimes after a round. Probably throw 100-150 putts every time I go to play a round. I actually like putting practice. Also I sank a round fence post in my yard and measured my aiming points on a basket at the course one day. Went home and used a can of spray paint to mark those points. Basically if you can hit the points on the pole you can sink putts. As a note I do not use my main putter on the pole.

Also, I'm not "handy" so I always for forget about this, but youtube and elsewhere, you can find some interesting ideas to make homemade baskets from various flotsom and jetsom

This is a great idea that's not as difficult as some people may think. I made a full sized portable basket matching PDGA measurement specs for under $50. You could do it for way less if you don't care as much about the specs and are crafty enough to wrangle up the parts (and no, I'm not suggesting stealing). Since that one, I've made a tone pole and am now working on a mini basket. I think basket number four is going to be an artistic one made completely out of wood with bamboo in place of the chains. Making disc golf baskets has become a hobby of it's own.

Find someone to play catch with. If you hit them above the waist and lower than the shoulders, consider it a good putt. Putting is just like playing catch w a bball free throw routine.

Today I was playing a round solo and was lucky enough to not have anyone in front of me and a few large groups ahead of me. When I finished a hole, I would just start putt practice until the queue at the next tee subsided. I got a funny look when I declined to play through, but I was in no hurry are really needed the practice :|