• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tomahawks and Thumbers?

Jmorri67

Par Member
I'm looking to start throwing more overhand shots, and since I have a baseball background I feel like I might be able to get some pretty decent distance with them. But, since I have next to no experience with them, I have some questions.

-What type of disc is best for driving with overhand shots?

-I normally throw speed 9-11 discs RHBH for my drives, should I throw the same speeds for overhand shots or is something faster necessary?

-My bag is in signature, would any of those drivers be good for overhand shots? I also have a force and a nuke that I don't keep in my bag, but would if necessary.

I've always heard that super fast discs make the best overhand discs.

However, I like the slow predictable turn of my dx valk for thumbers.

Thumbers = XXX, Flat Firebirds, Tridents, Whippets, even Eagle X's if you cant find a stable one.

Tomahawks = Beast, LS, Valk, RoadRunner, Beat Eagle Ls.

get a max weight z flick for overhead drives. mine go right around 300 feet on a good thumber. still havent found a better overhand disc.

I threw thumbers and tomahawks for 12+ years. I injured my shoulder with a thumber a couple years ago and miss that shot dearly, but I have a ton of experience and advice to give.

First and foremost, make sure you warm up your arm before throwing over hand!!! I can't stress this enough. Coming from a baseball background I'm sure you know this but most people don't. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people walk up cold and launch this shot...then turn around and say ouch. Step back while other people are driving as not to distract them, and practice throwing the shot at 50%. I also like to use a towel which provides a little resistance. Get the arm loose and ready to throw the shot. Helps a lot in the long run.

Back to your question about equipment. Overstable discs are the best for distance. The most used discs for overhand by far are Firebirds, Extremes, and Whippet x. Overstable discs do a long drawn out flip while getting distance.

In contrast, Understable discs, like Valks, sidewinders, etc. will do a very fast flip with much less distance. This can be a very valuable shot when needed so don't disregard. You can throw as an up shot or shorter holes with the same amount of power. Also, and this can be a great shot, a baseball thumber down a tunnel. Understable discs will flip quickly and usually give you a huge skip at the end.

I know a lot of thumber/tommy people and no one I can speak of has success with the faster discs. I never did. I tried Xcalibers, Apes, Bosses and had no success. I think it has to do with the grip and the release point. Not to say you can't do it, I've just never seen it. Try a Champion Firebird, they were my favorite. It can take a pounding and goes far.

I averaged 330+ ft. with my thumbers as I had a baseball background also (I also have a very good backhand). Most people called me a cheater or called it a "junk" shot. Remember, in our sport it doesn't matter how you get there.

If you want to have some real fun, go up in elevation where discs are even more overstable. Regularly I'd go up to Lake Tahoe to play tourneys and easily throw 400ft...no joke. People would be blown away. In Norcal, it helps a lot to be able to go over things. Oh, how I miss it....but we adapt.

Disc on!

I use monsters for tomahawks and thumbers. I don't use them off the teepee, but for tricky upshots and recovery shots. They work great.

i have a question pertaining to this thread that would benefit the OP too.

Do light weight or max weight discs go farther when going for max distance overheads? ive only throw max weight overheads, never a light disc. id be intrigued to see how a 150 flick compares distance wise to a 175 flick(for example) i can only assume someone else has already done this experiment.

Just like for other throws, you may need to try several discs to get the one(s) that work for you. If you've got a baseball-type cannon, start with the Force for thumbers. Agree with above that thumbers require more beef than 'hawks.

Problem I've had: the really beefy flat discs (FT Firebird, Flick) are too low profile for me for thumbers. I've got a shovel-like thumb, and need a deeper rim for consistent grip/release.

It works best for me to have a disc(s) dedicated to these shots, and in Champ/Z/Opto etc, because the landings are unkind to plastic.

I threw thumbers and tomahawks for 12+ years. I injured my shoulder with a thumber a couple years ago and miss that shot dearly, but I have a ton of experience and advice to give.

First and foremost, make sure you warm up your arm before throwing over hand!!! I can't stress this enough. Coming from a baseball background I'm sure you know this but most people don't. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people walk up cold and launch this shot...then turn around and say ouch. Step back while other people are driving as not to distract them, and practice throwing the shot at 50%. I also like to use a towel which provides a little resistance. Get the arm loose and ready to throw the shot. Helps a lot in the long run.

Back to your question about equipment. Overstable discs are the best for distance. The most used discs for overhand by far are Firebirds, Extremes, and Whippet x. Overstable discs do a long drawn out flip while getting distance.

In contrast, Understable discs, like Valks, sidewinders, etc. will do a very fast flip with much less distance. This can be a very valuable shot when needed so don't disregard. You can throw as an up shot or shorter holes with the same amount of power. Also, and this can be a great shot, a baseball thumber down a tunnel. Understable discs will flip quickly and usually give you a huge skip at the end.

I know a lot of thumber/tommy people and no one I can speak of has success with the faster discs. I never did. I tried Xcalibers, Apes, Bosses and had no success. I think it has to do with the grip and the release point. Not to say you can't do it, I've just never seen it. Try a Champion Firebird, they were my favorite. It can take a pounding and goes far.

I averaged 330+ ft. with my thumbers as I had a baseball background also (I also have a very good backhand). Most people called me a cheater or called it a "junk" shot. Remember, in our sport it doesn't matter how you get there.

If you want to have some real fun, go up in elevation where discs are even more overstable. Regularly I'd go up to Lake Tahoe to play tourneys and easily throw 400ft...no joke. People would be blown away. In Norcal, it helps a lot to be able to go over things. Oh, how I miss it....but we adapt.

Disc on!

+++++^^^^ to everything he said.
He obviously knows what he's talking about.

BTW, where's Prerube??
Surprised nobody's pulled a "Search-this" replay to this thread.
Lots of good info ready for searching...

I will say the firebird has always been the best for me but there are several discs that are just as good. But if you do decide to go the firebird route FLAT is key. Domey firebirds are not as good for thumbers as flats.

Thumbers: Overstable discs
Tommys: Understable discs

I will second the slower plastic sentiment. I used to use a Flick for thumbers. Last summer, I was unexpectedly shipped a Reaper in a bulk buy here (thanks fishmich). I threw it for S&Gs on my way back from the practice field expecting it to barely go anywhere. It took off like a rocket and hit my building. Schwebby is the king of thumbers, and I believe he throws Firebirds and Whippets. Now I know why he doesn't use X-Cals and Monsters.

DiscJunkie, preubing is now about as futile as rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. No one cares to try to preserve this forum as any kind of resource anymore.

Ok, you should just read Geoblime over and over. Lol, please dont think you need US for tommys and OS for thumbers... that literally has no logic to it. I learned to play on a very wooded course, and I also have an extensive baseball background, thru college. I remember my buddy just suggesting the throw, and I did a big crow hop and launched that mofo - it was on from there. However, they are so so so hard on your arm. Trying to drive that sucker 18 times a day WILL wear your shoulder down. Definitly warm up!!! Even with my baseball background, it only took me about a year to get my rhbh out past my overhand. My overhand is generally about 300ft in a very tight tunnel, its a great shot to have in the bag, but using it sparingly will improve your overall dg game a TON. Also, I too have never seen a difference in highspeed drivers vs something slower. I throw beast with great accuracy, its so much about feel in your hand with the OHs. Good luck, dont hurt yourself!!

I throw thumbers only. I used 10X Eagles, until they became hard to replace/find. Now I use glow Teebirds. They are predictable and easier to throw.

what a great answer from Geoblime!
my OH disc of choice is a 150g Flick and you should see it dance!

Firebirds are the best for thumbers for me. Never had much success with tomahawks though

I have tried xXx, flicks etc and keep coming back to firebirds for max D

Destroyers are surprisingly good for shorter distances

As a primary thumber thrower, here's my thoughts:
1) don't listen to the naysayers - if you can best make your shot with an OH shot - take it.
2) learn your discs. When I got my first Firebird, it was a domey 12x champ. It changed my game. The FBs turn the slowest. I am planning on working in some xXxs and predators this summer, but for distance, flat firebirds are king. I carry 6 (beat champ 165ish and beat star - what I throw in tight tunnels when I don't care if I hit a tree square, a light and heavy 11x, a glow and another champ that was a birthday present). I threw 4 in the round I played today. They all have slightly different flight paths, different holes require different shots. That being said I have a thumber beast and call that I throw for anhyzer dogleg holes (or if I want to throw an upshot, where I need the turn to be quick.
3) learn your arm slots - I throw anywhere from vertical to horizontal depending on the shot.
4) don't blow your arm out :)
:thmbup:

Latest posts