• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too Much Disc?

osborne

Par Member
At the beginning of last summer I decided to slow down my bag and take all warp speed drivers out in order to improve form. This summer I succeeded in getting buzz's out to 300-330 putters 270-300 teebirds 360-400 valks 370-400 so I figured it was safe to try some faster drivers. I picked up a sDD, a cPD, and a westside king. Now I can throw the dd and the pd in the 400-420 range and the King goes about 15-20 feet farther than those two. My question is, should I stay with the slower bag, are these discs still to fast for me. I think I read blakes range's before somewhere on here as far as distance capability vs range you can handle but damned if I can find it.

If you're confident in the new discs keep them. If not, get rid of them. Keeping a slower bag will only take you so far with adding D.

As long as you get the discs to behave in the roles you need them in i see no trouble with those discs. I don't have more golf D than you and i can toss more demanding discs in some roles. No point in trying to force a meathook to hold long annies to the ground. Even from a practice point of view. Practice and playing the best you can on a round are two things with different goals, so you need to approach them in a manner, that gives best results in both cases. So push yourself and gain skills in practice and leave margin of error as often as possible in competition as long as taking it easy won't worsen your score.

The scorecards I use don't seem to have a space to write in the distance I threw on a hole.

Multitasking in a smart phone with a scorecard app and Excel or something similar? Or just dropping the scorecard app and adding more columns into Excel.

Mark Ellis said:
The scorecards I use don't seem to have a space to write in the distance I threw on a hole.
JR said:
Multitasking in a smart phone with a scorecard app and Excel or something similar? Or just dropping the scorecard app and adding more columns into Excel.

LOL... :lol:

Mark Ellis said:

While I agree with this on most accounts, if you are on a 450' hole and you throw a 330 drive and a 400 drive, the upshot from the 400' drive is going to be easier than the one from 330' in most cases. I agree that the game isn't about D but on those long holes it can make second shots considerably easier.

On a side note, my control isn't as good as it used to be and I believe this is because I don't have the time to play the tight courses that I used to play to train this (eureka and ICC in peoria). However, I have taken this season to get more comfortable with tournament play and have been able to take my 890 rating at the beginning of the season and raise it to 933 as of the last update, should be 938ish after the next one assuming the next tournament isn't drastically different from my performance this summer.

Next goal is to build confidence putting!

to be honest, I'm not a terrible putter but my confidence comes and goes like crazy. Its very frustrating to me to miss a 20 footer then hit the 30 foot come back or miss a 20 footer and hit the 20 foot comeback. I am not sure how to step to every putt and have the exact same mentality taht allows me to hit the 30 foot comeback putt with confidence.

If you can throw the warp speed drivers accurately, keep them in the bag. If they are costing you strokes, take them out.

osborne said:
to be honest, I'm not a terrible putter but my confidence comes and goes like crazy. Its very frustrating to me to miss a 20 footer then hit the 30 foot come back or miss a 20 footer and hit the 20 foot comeback. I am not sure how to step to every putt and have the exact same mentality taht allows me to hit the 30 foot comeback putt with confidence.

How about using the same body control as in a disgusted comeback putt? You just fling it at the basket basically punching the disc at the target. Loose muscles and a sharp acceleration in the end. No thinking, no fear whatsoever.

osborne said:

Could be that from 20' you're adding pressure because you feel you 'should' make it. Then you relax (possibly out of disgust, possibly because you don't feel the same pressure from the edge of the circle) and nail the 30' comeback.

The solution imo is more practice from 20', but use the same routine and attach the same importance for each practice putt that you would for a putt to win a match. Then when you're yipping over a 20' (as invariably will happen some time) you can remind yourself you do own that distance and relax and drill it.

You 'should' make every putt within the circle. If you do happen to miss, analyze what went wrong (it might not even be your fault, even the best baskets spit occasionally), make a note of what you need to change, then forgive yourself and move on to the next shot.

After shooting many rounds with you, all you need is the ability to focus on the current shot! Peoria courses don't really require anything more than a fairway driver or a speed 12 distance driver at most. Your game is great John! I think the next for you and most of us is consistency.