• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Player Ratings Over Time

Players shooting that far below their rating get removed from the ratings pool to calculate round ratings.

Yep, it's actually set at 50 points below their rating for being removed from the pool that calculates the SSA and round ratings.

It'd be interesting to see any statistics from the PDGA about the 888 use. I think a LOT of the time the TDs dont just have the cojones to do it.

TD's certainly don't like to use it. I have done it a few times over the years but really don't feel it should be part of my job as TD to make a judgement on why someone has quit/played horribly.

TD's certainly don't like to use it. I have done it a few times over the years but really don't feel it should be part of my job as TD to make a judgement on why someone has quit/played horribly.

Yeah I don't think it should be used unless there's definitive proof. I know I've had days where I went through a near 100 point swing in ratings and I wasn't trying to tank lol

If it's 100% obvious sure... if a player takes a huge number of strokes in the last few holes, it's an obvious 888 at that point. Luke's a pro and knew what he was doing imop, if you look at his hole scores he took nothing higher than 5, so it would hard pressed to give the guy an 888.
Sometimes you just want to play an event with friends, or just plain have a good time at an event period, and you just don't care what you score... and it happens to be sanctioned. I've probably had half of a dozen or so of those tournaments in the past ten years. If you're not "grinding for rating" and don't have a reason to give a crap if your rating is 10 points lower, then whatever. ESPECIALLY if you're an Open player and you're not f'ing with any divisional boundaries.

Sometimes you just want to play an event with friends, or just plain have a good time at an event period, and you just don't care what you score... and it happens to be sanctioned. I've probably had half of a dozen or so of those tournaments in the past ten years. If you're not "grinding for rating" and don't have a reason to give a crap if your rating is 10 points lower, then whatever. ESPECIALLY if you're an Open player and you're not f'ing with any divisional boundaries.

Many years ago I was playing badly in an event and decided I was going to skip an overhand off a pond. I finally accomplished it on the 6th attempt and got a 12 on the hole. Turned out it put the round outside my 2.5 standard deviations and it didn't count in my rating which at the time didn't have a lot of rounds in it. If it had counted my rating would have dropped 10 points or so. This story really doesn't have a point other than the fact that I didn't do it to save my rating- i did it because it was fun at the time.

Seems like the solution to this would be to simply count all the rounds you play rather than dropping some. If you have some special scenario such as playing wrong handed due to injury then let the PDGA deal with those case by case.

The 888 is more about poor sportsmanship and courtesy. A player can DNF for a 999 at any time and achieve the same goal of not having that round count for ratings. The 888 is "awarded" for messing with the TD and/or players in their group by either not informing the TD they were dropping out or deliberately playing poorly or perhaps not paying attention to their responsibilities to their assigned group of 3, sometimes leaving the remaining 2 in the lurch when the round starts.

The Europeans triggered the creation of 888 so players who performed these shenanigans would have their rating penalized for 6 months. At the time, European events were already using ratings tiers for registering into a limited number of events that filled quickly. The temporary 888 rating penalty might lower a player's rating just enough so they don't qualify for the initial rating tier for pre-registering in the next several events.

A player can DNF for a 999 at any time

Let's say there's a huge ace bounty, including hole 18. You finish out all 18 holes, can you tell the TD you want to DNF AFTER hole #18?

I've always wondered if it would be PDGA legal to tell a TD BEFORE you play, you're just ace hunting (or just chucking with friends) and don't want the round reported regardless how you shoot, is this possible?

The 888 is more about poor sportsmanship and courtesy. A player can DNF for a 999 at any time and achieve the same goal of not having that round count for ratings. The 888 is "awarded" for messing with the TD and/or players in their group by either not informing the TD they were dropping out or deliberately playing poorly or perhaps not paying attention to their responsibilities to their assigned group of 3, sometimes leaving the remaining 2 in the lurch when the round starts.

The Europeans triggered the creation of 888 so players who performed these shenanigans would have their rating penalized for 6 months. At the time, European events were already using ratings tiers for registering into a limited number of events that filled quickly. The temporary 888 rating penalty might lower a player's rating just enough so they don't qualify for the initial rating tier for pre-registering in the next several events.

If the bolded is the case then why does it directly address ratings manipulation in the verbiage and say nothing about either sportsmanship or courtesy? (I do agree with the idea that it should be more about sportsmanship and courtesy though.)

Let's say there's a huge ace bounty, including hole 18. You finish out all 18 holes, can you tell the TD you want to DNF AFTER hole #18?

I've always wondered if it would be PDGA legal to tell a TD BEFORE you play, you're just ace hunting (or just chucking with friends) and don't want the round reported regardless how you shoot, is this possible?
Hope it's a shotgun round where you don't start on hole 1 and you play hole 18 before you decide to DNF?

From a practical standpoint, if you don't mind the 888 penalty, the ratings process isn't undermined with your low round rating since it will not be used for propagating and will likely be dropped from your player rating update anyway. I'm not aware of any disciplinary penalties for a player taking an excessive number of 888 penalties if it's even tracked. It would be an expensive proposition to do so since you wouldn't have a chance to cash in any events where you took an 888, or regular DNF for that matter.

Hope it's a shotgun round where you don't start on hole 1 and you play hole 18 before you decide to DNF?

You said a player can DNF at anytime, to make it clear, does that include finishing all 18 holes and then telling the TD you want to to DNF?

You said a player can DNF at anytime, to make it clear, does that include finishing all 18 holes and then telling the TD you want to to DNF?
I believe the way it still works is the TD reports scores in rounds completed per the rules. If you or someone in your group reports that a rule was broken related to manipulating your rating, the round should be removed under an 888. However, note that it's common for TDs to disallow any aces or CTPs that player may have won during the round since a score was not posted due to an 888 ruling. If a 999 DNF due to some injury or emergency, then TDs are more likely to allow ace and CTP awards won before the DNF.

He did a video where he was totally dicking around trying to win an ace pot. He mentioned it was a sanctioned round. I wonder if that was the round.

edit: This might be that round since Emerson was in the vid, but it looks like he did the same thing...

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/49336#FPO

Even if you're just going for aces, you should still be able to make par on most holes.

Say you were indeed ace hunting in the scenario DiscFifty presents. You know after your first shot on hole 18 if you aced or not. Could you just walk off and DNF at that point? Feign an injury or something and say "hey, can't finish" ?

Simply curious. I absolutely wouldn't condone such a thing.

Many years ago I was playing badly in an event and decided I was going to skip an overhand off a pond. I finally accomplished it on the 6th attempt and got a 12 on the hole. Turned out it put the round outside my 2.5 standard deviations and it didn't count in my rating which at the time didn't have a lot of rounds in it. If it had counted my rating would have dropped 10 points or so. This story really doesn't have a point other than the fact that I didn't do it to save my rating- i did it because it was fun at the time.

Seems like the solution to this would be to simply count all the rounds you play rather than dropping some. If you have some special scenario such as playing wrong handed due to injury then let the PDGA deal with those case by case.

If they're gonna drop rounds more than 2.5 deviations below your rating then they should also drop rounds more than 2.5 above your rating, it's only fair. Enough of these artificially inflated ratings.

Latest posts