• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Rated courses/Top destinations

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
If Highbridge is ranked #15, what does that say about this sites other rankings ?

If you are gonna try and convince me that a location with 2 quality courses trumps a location with 5 as a destination, good luck.

You know that, until recently, Highbridge had some, um, issues - right? There might even have been some discussion here. :D

Hoping to get out there next year. From what I hear, I would not be surprised to see HBH climbing the ranks again.

Out of curiosity....what list of destinations are we working from here?

Front page...more top rated courses...destinations

Ah, thanks.

I don't know how they weighted the averages, but it's an odd way to define a destination. Then again, any other system is going to be arbitrary, as well.

What would be a perfect, flawless, unassailable, and universally agreed to system for ranking courses, or destinations?

What would be a perfect, flawless, unassailable, and universally agreed to system for ranking courses, or destinations?
Well for starters, common sense. How could a destination with 2 courses be ranked higher than one with 5, if they are all quality courses ?

Well for starters, common sense. How could a destination with 2 courses be ranked higher than one with 5, if they are all quality courses ?

Because the overall score is a simple arithmetic average. So a site with 2 good courses has a higher average score than a site with 4 comparably good courses plus a 3.6-rated beginner course.

When choosing destinations, one must look beyond the rating.

Can you suggest a better mathematical formula than a simple average? I am genuinely curious.

One problem seems to be that there is simply no consensus on rating courses for like beginners or 9 holers. If you have a site with 2 very good 18 hole courses geared toward tournament caliber players (Blue/Gold) vs a site with 4 courses where two are pretty good 18 hole courses (White/Blue), one is an easy 18 hole course (Red) and a 9 holer for Green players, the former site is more likely to rate higher on DGCR b/c most users like challenge/are experienced. The 4 course site is arguably a better destination though b/c it offers something for everyone. But 9 holers and easier courses are not valued as highly by the DGCR community because it's the wrong target audience.

That's not an answer.

Because, of course, there isn't one. DGCR chose a formula and made a list. I could choose a different formula (say, add up all the ratings of the courses on site, rewarding more courses)---and certainly someone would object to that, saying that a place with 5 2.0s isn't better than one with 2 4.75s. Then someone else would come up with a different formula, and we'd object to the flaws in it.

After which, someone jumps in complaining because his favorite courses aren't ranked as high as he thinks they should be, all because in a consensus of hundreds of reviews, their ratings averaged 2% lower and that dropped them down the tightly-packed list. But I don't see a lot of value in starting with a conclusion, and finding a formula to produce it.

So DGCR chose a formula and made a list. Not one of consequence; I doubt many people ever see that list, and highly doubt any of them are changing their destination plans based on it. Just for fun, like all of the other course lists you can find (UDisc, DGS, various odd sites, and individuals).

You should just start with the complaint that "destination" is defined as locations with 2 or more courses.

What that list really is, is "Highest Rated Multi-Course Facilities".

Latest posts