• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Rated courses/Top destinations

Good try dude, but I don't consider concrete barrels a legit target...

Heh. The other 2 courses have regular baskets (and no, I haven't played there).

But (2.88 + 3.00 + 3.17)/3 = 3.02

Just sayin' :D

There are no purple baskets at High Bridge.

There are contradictory elements here!

There are no purple baskets at IDGC for that matter either! WTF!

*Cues Cgkdisc regarding purple basket within' the IDGC basket collection area?*
That almost sounds like the last time I opened a can of worms...

Heh. The other 2 courses have regular baskets (and no, I haven't played there).

But (2.88 + 3.00 + 3.17)/3 = 3.02

Just sayin' :D
I'm checking the local airbnb in Monroe as we speak

Who would build 3 average ( 3.0 rated) courses on one site ?
Just because they didn't intend to make three 3.0s doesn't mean they wouldn't.

I've seen two 3.0s in same park. Quite feasible a place might try to add a 3rd with hopes of making it better than the others, but fall short.

But OK. Say they there's a 2.5+3.0+3.5=9.
I'd still rather hit the place with. Two 4.0's.

As I think about it: I'd sum just the 4.0+ course at site, and not even factor in (at least it terms of calculating a rating for the destination) courses below 4. The addition of a kid friendly putter only niner wouldn't affect the destination rating.

I'm taking the perspective of the travelling player. If there's a place with two or more excellent courses onsite, I wanna know about it. To a certain degree, I don't care what else might be there.

Whatevs. Ultimately semantics. As it is, the destination ratings are useless to me. I just check out the reviews and ratings for the other courses on site, and that basicly gives me as good an idea as I'm gonna get.

I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.

I agree, and still think there was a flaw in putting the "destination" label on what is actually a ranking of multi-course complexes. There are some single-course destinations, as well as destination cities with many separate courses.

I'm taking the perspective of the travelling player. If there's a place with two or more excellent courses onsite, I wanna know about it. To a certain degree, I don't care what else might be there.
Gotcha, so a place with 5 courses that average over a 4 is of no interest to you as a travelling player ?

Good try dude, but I don't consider concrete barrels a legit target...

I have played all three courses at Chennault Park, the "very short" course with the concrete barrels is one of the "funnest" courses I have played. (and it has been "in the ground" for a very long time) The barrels require a completely different type of putt to make it in the barrel. The other two courses are OK, nothing stellar, but good courses nonetheless. Is it a destination course?....not really, but Lake Claiborne is, and it is very close by, and it was awesome. Lake D'Arbonne State Park is nearby, and has a pretty good course on site.

So, for me, a "destination course" is one that is fairly highly rated, and has a bunch of good courses nearby, and a state park nearby as well, or camping on site. I have always had really good experiences using state parks as my "home base" for these DG trips, they are inexpensive, have pretty good facilities, and many have their own DG course.

This April we are heading to Sweetwater State Park in Lithia Springs, Georgia, for 5 days of disc golf in that area....Hobbs Farm Park is at the top of the list and the reason for the trip, fortunately there are 8 other really good courses within 25 miles of the park, at which, we will be camping. We are going to try to bag 9 new courses in 5 days, which is probably nothing for a younger person, but The Old Geezer's are pushing 60, so 2 courses per day is about all we can handle.

If Highbridge is ranked #15, what does that say about this sites other rankings ?

Why is it that you are un-accepting, of the possibility that others' opinions count the same as yours?

Once you accept that premise, the idea of a collective of opinions, and the subsequent tabulation, seems pretty easy to understand. You don't have to agree, but the ranking here, not representing every golfers' list, has been fairly well hashed out.

You can click below and add your list!

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135630

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128231

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76279

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31417

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40342

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127539

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17588

Some fun reads and quite a bit of info here.

Why is it that you are un-accepting, of the possibility that others' opinions count the same as yours?
There are plenty of folks whose opinions that I value, but that does not mean I am compelled to agree with them all of the time...unless, of course,it's Biscoe. If you want me to accuse me of sparking debate, I'm guilty.

Last edited:

Gotcha, so a place with 5 courses that average over a 4 is of no interest to you as a travelling player ?

giphy.gif

Who would build 3 average ( 3.0 rated) courses on one site ?

Woodland Valley in Maine came close with their three 18 hole courses.
Black Bear 3.40
Grizzly 3.45
Kodiak 2.25 (Seems like maintenance is holding this one back from another 3....)

I am not proposing this...

But I have wondered how multi-course destinations would stack up if there were a separate rating number to rate them as a conglomerate. As many would agree, sometimes when two courses are at one location, very little value is added by the second course. Sometimes it offers all the same elements or its a dud. While other times there's a destination which will have multiple styles that are knocked out of the park. Thus the conglomerate score is more greatly effected.

How I would personally score and rank the multi-course places I've played.

1. IDGC, GA (5)
2. Flying Armadillo, TX (4.5)
3. Lake Claiborne, LA (4.5)
4. Mahr Park, KY (4.5)
5. New World, FL (4.5)
6. Bill Frederick, FL (4)
7. River City, FL (4)
8. Bud Hill, TN (4)
9. Foundation Park, IL (4)
10. Blue Angel, FL (4)
11. Boundary Waters, GA (4)
12. Cane Ridge, TN (4)
13. Veteran's, MS (3.5)
14. Gordon Barnett, FL (3)
15. Winnebago Co Park, WI (3)
16. Paul Johnson, MS (3)
17. Sparkman Park, AL (3)

There's nothing like not supporting your point of view to argue that you cannot.

And, in this case, doing so with respect to an undeniably subjective subject is silly beyond measure. It's like arguing that "common sense" should inform everyone that purple is the best color.
Common sense dictates that you simply add the ratings of each course on site for an objective comparison. If you do so, Highbridge totals 21.23, with I think IDGC coming in second with 13.02. I think that does a fair job of supporting my view without being undeniably subjective. Highbridge's domination of the destination category is Ruthian...and yet it is ranked #15?

Last edited:
I agree it's probably tough to beat the IDGC as a destination with pro shop, Hall of Fame and PDGA HQ in addition to onsite camping in a 900-acre recreational area and decent sized city nearby. I think Lemon Lake should be in the running for a top 10 destination ranking although it's still bouncing back from needed course redesigns as a result of the EAB tree devastation. Note that it has hosted two Pro World Championships.

Highbridge will continue to literally be an outlier even if all of the courses regain or attain 4.5-5 ratings due to its remote location. In the long run, there will be improved camping and lodging options onsite, pro shop, cell and wi-fi plus additional food service nearby. But it may never gain the amenities within 10 miles of many current and future destinations.

I agree it's probably tough to beat the IDGC as a destination with pro shop, Hall of Fame and PDGA HQ in addition to onsite camping in a 900-acre recreational area and decent sized city nearby. I think Lemon Lake should be in the running for a top 10 destination ranking although it's still bouncing back from needed course redesigns as a result of the EAB tree devastation. Note that it has hosted two Pro World Championships.

Highbridge will continue to literally be an outlier even if all of the courses regain or attain 4.5-5 ratings due to its remote location. In the long run, there will be improved camping and lodging options onsite, pro shop, cell and wi-fi plus additional food service nearby. But it may never gain the amenities within 10 miles of many current and future destinations.
So, if you were going to start with the sum of the ratings and add numerical points for the things you mentioned, what value would you assign to those things ? BTW, I don't see a remote location as being totally a negative...

Common sense dictates that you simply add the ratings of each course on site for an objective comparison. If you do so, Highbridge totals 21.23, with I think IDGC coming in second with 13.02. I think that does a fair job of supporting my view without being undeniably subjective. Highbridge's domination of the destination category is Ruthian...and yet it is ranked #15?

That's certainly one way to do it....but it may reward quantity a bit too much. A facility with 3 3.0s is better than one with two 4.25s?

Maybe it works if there are separate categories for 2-course complexes, 3-course complexes, and 4+- course complexes.

So, if you were going to start with the sum of the ratings and add numerical points for the things you mentioned, what value would you assign to those things ? BTW, I don't see a remote location as being totally a negative...
Not a fan of ranking by a straight total of the course ratings. I'm thinking you only average the highest three course ratings. Additional courses beyond three count in the amenities calculation however that's done. So even though Highbridge is remote, perhaps the extra courses could increase its amenities score? For two-course sites to get in the destination rankings, they would need some form of lodging on the site that would be ranked up to 5 points and count as a third "course" to produce the course average towards the destination score.