• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Rated courses/Top destinations

So, you are drinking the DGCR rankings kool-aid ?>

As opposed to.....?

….but what I meant by my question was, what rankings (other than DGCR) are superior---and why?

DGCR's rankings are what they are---a consensus of ratings by disc golfers willing to write reviews. With, in most cases, enough of them to iron out the outliers. Not perfect, certainly not authoritative, but just that.

The destination rankings are questionable at best. IDGC is the 13th ranked destination, with its 3 courses ranked 4.22, 4.35, and 4.45. Foundation Park in Illinois is ranked #8 with its two courses ranked 4.52 and 3.17. Branson Trails in MO is #6 with its two courses ranked 4.57 and 3.38. How are either of those destinations (with one great course and one decent course) even in the same discussion as the IDGC?

The destination rankings are questionable at best. IDGC is the 13th ranked destination, with its 3 courses ranked 4.22, 4.35, and 4.45. Foundation Park in Illinois is ranked #8 with its two courses ranked 4.52 and 3.17. Branson Trails in MO is #6 with its two courses ranked 4.57 and 3.38. How are either of those destinations (with one great course and one decent course) even in the same discussion as the IDGC?
Agreed. Simply adding up the ratings for all the courses on site makes way more sense.

It all depends on what you're measuring.

Those are (1) the multi-course facilities with (2) the highest rated best course and (3) another course you can play.

Not my idea of a destination, but if you value the highest-rated course available more than the average of all the courses, it makes some sense. That is, if you're going for best course, and the second course is a throw-in.

I could be wrong, but as I recall, DGCR's destination rating is calculated using the ratings of all the courses at that location... something don't necessarily agree with.

Obviously the more legit 4.0+ courses a loxation has, the better a destination it is.

Say you have a facility that has several 4.0 & 4.5. courses. Then you install a good Rec level course that's a 3.0, maybe even something on the 2.5 range.

Personally, I don't think adding lesser-quality courses to a destination makes the destination less Destination Worthy.

Strangely enough, while I think adding filler or repetitive holes to an excellent course makes detracts from the course, I don't think adding lesser courses to a great destination makes the destination worse. We can choose to play/skip whatever courses at that destination we want, to maximize our enjoyment.

In fact, I find I enjoy great courses more when I can play a good but fairly ordinary course mixed in with them, rather abunch of great courses in one unrelenting, uninterrupted, torrent of DG greatness.

The whole hit or miss nature of the maintenance and the other stuff that makes Highbridge the DG soap opera that it is, belongs in that thread

I could be wrong, but as I recall, DGCR's destination rating is calculated using the ratings of all the courses at that location... something don't necessarily agree with.

Weighted, somehow, to give more weight to the best course there, but I'm too lazy to try to figure it out.

I think.

I don't remember but was Anna Page in Rockford IL on there? That has 3 solid courses onsite. Foundation and Camden have 2, though 1 at each is definitely higher rated than any at Anna Page. The IDGC ranking us odd too it seems.

Well for starters, common sense. How could a destination with 2 courses be ranked higher than one with 5, if they are all quality courses ?

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18" - A. Einstein

IMO, "common sense" is just what people use to dress up their opinions when they have nothing else to put on them. In this case you elevate your own opinion to "common sense" in an effort to characterize it as being better than anyone else's when, just like everyone else, it's just the opinion of a single person - and in this case, it's an opinion about something entirely subjective.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18" - A. Einstein

IMO, "common sense" is just what people use to dress up their opinions when they have nothing else to put on them. In this case you elevate your own opinion to "common sense" in an effort to characterize it as being better than anyone else's when, just like everyone else, it's just the opinion of a single person - and in this case, it's an opinion about something entirely subjective.

Disagree. Common sense is what a reasonably informed (but not necessarily an expert) person would think.

Saying something is common sense doesn't necessarily mean a person can't support their point of view. It just implies they don't think it's necessary to, because it should be obvious.

Agreed. Simply adding up the ratings for all the courses on site makes way more sense.

Probably better than the current system but I can't get completely on board with that.

Two 4.0 courses = 8 vs. Three 3.0 courses =9.
Guess it all depends on what each person values.
If all you're doing is bagging courses, I guess a 3x 3.0 is better. :\

But to me, it's not even close. I want to hit courses if I think they're 4+. Those are courses I plan my trips around. Not saying I don't or won't play 3.0's away from home, but they're not the reason I travel, and I'm certainly not planning my trip around them.

FWIW, I can't fathom IDGC not being a higher rated destination. It's one of the best DG experiences I've ever had.

Last edited:
I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.

Saying something is common sense doesn't necessarily mean a person can't support their point of view. It just implies they don't think it's necessary to, because it should be obvious.

There's nothing like not supporting your point of view to argue that you cannot.

And, in this case, doing so with respect to an undeniably subjective subject is silly beyond measure. It's like arguing that "common sense" should inform everyone that purple is the best color.

I would suggest that a site with 2 courses may not feel like a true destination but simply two nearby courses, especially if there's no lodging on site. Perhaps these exactly 2-course complexes should have their own ranking? And those that do have lodging options like Justin Trails, would perhaps be ranked higher, presuming the courses in combination with lodging merited it.

Then, sites with a minimum of 3 courses would be ranked as destination locations. Course clusters could also be included in this ranking. Not sure what to consider as a cluster diameter but perhaps a 10-mile diameter circle (or maybe just 5-mile diameter) with at least three 18-hole courses could be considered a "destination." For example, Charlotte might have two or even three cluster destinations.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. A destination in my mind would be a place to spend at least two days.
Btw, the sum ratings of the 5 Highbridge courses is 21.23, which dwarfs the competition... but is ranked #15 as a destination ?

Last edited:
People just need to pay me to travel to all these courses and review them. It's the only fair solution. :|

Honestly this is where we need the sport to go. The USGA sends officials to rate slope on every course. I think the PDGA should invest in this type of thing. Have every course officially "sloped", and also have some sort of review for quality. Charge private courses a fee for the privilege.

There are no purple baskets at High Bridge.

There are contradictory elements here!

There are no purple baskets at IDGC for that matter either! WTF!

*Cues Cgkdisc regarding purple basket within' the IDGC basket collection area?*

Last edited:
Probably better than the current system but I can't get completely on board with that.

Two 4.0 courses = 8 vs. Three 3.0 courses =9.
Guess it all depends on what each person values.
If all you're doing is bagging courses, I guess a 3x 3.0 is better. :\

But to me, it's not even close. I want to hit courses if I think they're 4+. Those are courses I plan my trips around. Not saying I don't or won't play 3.0's away from home, but they're not the reason I travel, and I'm certainly not planning my trip around them.

FWIW, I can't fathom IDGC not being a higher rated destination. It's one of the best DG experiences I've ever had.
Who would build 3 average ( 3.0 rated) courses on one site ?

Latest posts