• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Torso rotation, release angles, and snap

Blake_T said:
the big pivot dig doesn't happen until the moment (or slightly after the moment) the disc is leaving. this is the second rotation.

This has me thinking, if I understand this correctly, there is no power to be gained from the second pivot? It just happens to allow my body to rotate around? I think I have been forcing the second pivot, trying to get extra power out of it.

This has me thinking, if I understand this correctly, there is no power to be gained from the second pivot? It just happens to allow my body to rotate around?

heh... dude... this is going to be such an abstract concept that it's probably almost a waste of time for me to write it hehe.

in a low-snap throw (usually with a rushed shoulder) the second pivot occurs merely because the body keeps moving after the release.

in a high-snap throw (with acceleration and force transferred to the disc) the second pivot happens if you get your full body into the force transfer.

basically, you have to separate the throw into a push and a pull. you push the disc into the power zone (aka point of impact). you pull the disc through beyond the point of impact. the second pivot has nothing to do with the push... nothing at all. if you try to milk a pivot into the push you are getting nothing from it, you'll only ruin your body positions and probably wear out your glut on your pivot leg.

if you give a hard "pull" at/beyond the point of impact, you will pivot if your entire body is into that motion. you don't force the pivot, it happens because your entire body is opening up and it will force the pivot.

most people never reach the point of impact. low snap throwers release around 1' early before ever reaching it.

even for a high snap thrower, if they don't have a second pivot in conjunction with the pull portion it means they aren't harnessing their entire body into the throw.

a good example of the second pivot.
pre-pivot (look how far forward the disc is already):
sbrinster3-5.jpg

immediately after release the pivot has started:
sbrinster3-6.jpg

the pivot continues into the follow through:
sbrinster3-7.jpg

another look.
pre-pivot (pretty much at the point of impact):
bschweberger21-5.jpg

pivot:
bschweberger21-6.jpg

another look:
pre-pivot (just beyond the point of impact):
jschmalfeld1-5.jpg

pivot:
jschmalfeld1-6.jpg

Not that abstract actually.

A few months back, when I was practicing a lot and really working on the hammer pound, I had a few really great field sessions where I felt like I was really pulling "back" on the disc when I extended my wrist past neutral. I knew I had to somehow get my body to come through to aid that feeling, but have been failing miserably at doing so, and trying to change things up in a bad way (like trying to pivot out too soon).

Thanks for the post Blake, I'm going to see if I can find that feeling again and work from there.

pivoting happens because of timing/positions and power. if you try to force the pivot it won't happen correctly.

these positions are barely worth seeing visually to most people since their timing/positions are usually quite far removed from them.

it's abstract because most people lack the ability to differentiate the in motion from the out-motion (aka before the point of contact vs. after the point of contact).

in rare cases it can be, usually in the form of a forward flop, but most times early face up is due to other factors.

Latest posts