• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Total noob, but already bit by disc golf bug

disco40

Birdie Member
Hey all,

40 y.o. from St. Charles, MO.

I always thought disc golf looked rather silly, but recently sat and watched a YT vid of some tournament play, and then another, and another...

Decided to give it a try to get myself active again and maybe drop some weight (I need to lose about 50 lbs). Bought an Innova? 3-disc starter pack (Leopard, Shark, and a putter) from Dick's and today played my first 9 at Creve Coeur Park. The holes were probably way too long for a beginner, but at least I didn't lose a disc. A bit sore ha, the movement is more athletic than I thought it would be.

Mostly I duffed around looking a fool and nowhere close to parring anything, but a couple of times I felt a seemingly effortless, pure stroke that reminded me of hitting the sweet spot in golf, and it was pretty great. Also was nearly literally bit by a bug when I opened up a box on the first tee expecting to see a scorecard, but instead got a big wasp nest!

Specifically looking for recommends for a good beginner course in St. Charles or St. Louis area, something that isn't totally flat and long like Creve Coeur, but that is also not crazy difficult.

Of course, any noob advice will be well-taken. I would like to avoid pitfalls like trying to throw too hard or using discs that are out of my league (or that are low quality), and not get myself injured going too hard too fast.

Anyhow, glad to take up the game and I'm pretty stoked to get out there again! None of my buddies are into this, so maybe I'll meet you out there.

Cheers

Get the Udisc app, you can keep your score, track stats, and most importantly find courses around you wherever you are. Course descriptions include hole length, where to park, reviews and even maps (usually).

I'd suggest finding a league, playing with others is a great way to learn and make some new connections.

Have fun with it! It's a great way to get outside and you already have everything you need.

Welcome and good luck. It will be best to stay away from any discs over speed 9 until you get the hang of throwing the slower stuff. See if there are any local casual dubs going on--it's a good way to meet locals with the same addiction to DG, and most won't mind showing you how to improve your game.

Welcome. I personally found Disc Golf Course Review for the forums (learning about form, discs, etc.) and then discovered how awesome the course listings and map were. But the site was designed to help you find the best or most appropriate courses.

I had no idea where St. Charles was, but did a quick search here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php

Using that, I'd bet White Birch Park is worth checking out. Lots of "short" holes but with some tight lines that should make you hit lines... that's what disc golf's all about! Have been a newbie once, I imagine the only problem might be losing discs in the woods. So be careful. It happens to be a very early course, designed by Steady Ed Headrick himself. You're in an area with good disc golf heritage.

A note if you start to use DGCR's search/ratings feature: not all highly rated courses will be better for a beginner, though you'll probably learn to appreciate those higher rated courses. Plenty of 2.0 or 2.5 courses will be fine, maybe even more enjoyable, as you start. Some higher rated courses are great for beginners (e.g. Harmony Bends in Columbia, MO, currently the highest rated course in the world), but others are too technical or just too long.

Last edited:

Latest posts