• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Advice

Hoffmoney

Tomorrow I play in my first ever tournament, I have everything set up and ready for it, I'm bringing a towel, a mini, and water with my bag. Any suggestions for what I should do to prepare/what I should bring/how I should play?

Extra waters and snacks. Tourny play is slower.

Good luck and play well. Try and stay relaxed when the pressure is on ;)

Possibly a stool if you have one. With the slow play you will find you are standing around quite a bit.
Make sure to get to the course as early as you can and get some warm up in. Make sure to stretch.

Then just play your game and have fun.

Stool. Tournament play is slow.

Apart from that, just enjoy! You probably wont win your first tournament ever, just enjoy the show and bring some beers to drink while watching the final.

Get a good night's sleep. Don't pig out at lunch. Acclimate yourself to a lot of waiting.

Don't eat Bojangles for breakfast, especially if your course only has portapottys. Bo-runs to the toilet cost me at least 10 strokes my last tourney. :| :rolleyes:

My actual advice is to treat it more like a marathon instead of a sprint. It's easy to lose focus if you don't feel like you're playing well (and you almost will certainly feel this way, tourney rounds are just that way compared to casual rounds). Just focus one shot at a time and keep battling.

^ You gotta order a Cajun Filet biscuit man; those sit on the stomach just fine.

Definitely bring a stool if you have one; I'm hoping to eventually make that investment myself. It's not necessary, but you'll be glad you have it.

Other than snacks and water, if you have the extra space in the bag, definitely bring an extra putting putter and back ups for some of your go-to discs during the round. If not, have these back ups sitting in your car. That way, if you loose a disc and can't recover it, you can quickly replace it without worrying too much, or worse, having to play a round or three without it.