• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Etiquette

Discdude1414

What are some things I will need to know before I go to my first tournament? Some things that I might not think of that I need to do or can't do.

Be polite to other players. Enjoy yourself a little, no one wants to play with a grouch. Be on time. Known the rules ahead of time (at least the basics, and if you don't, tell the other players that your new and might not do things correctly)

Rule 62 is the #1 most important thing in disc golf, never forget it.

That's all I've got off the top of my head

Good thing you don't need to know how to spell etiquette. :D:D;)

Off the top of my head. Don't talk while others are going through their throwing routine. If you are in the sight line of someone putting move out of a direct line behind the basket then stay still. Don't advance past the away player until they throw. #1 Have fun.

Clear your putts, or if someone gets ready to putt right after you putt, ask if you should clear it. No tap-ins.. unless you discuss it with your card before-hand. Technically it's illegal, and if you tap in a player it's two strokes on you. Remain quiet/still when anyone else is throwing around you, even if they're on another hole that's near you, they can still be bothered. If you smoke, ask your card if they're alright with it, or try and keep it away from them.

If you get a chance to, thank the TD for their efforts.

All the above mentioned points plus:

• Don't "nice" someone else's throw until it has come to rest. It might have gone from "nice" to OB by that time.

Related: I also don't like it when I hit a long or low % putt for a bogey or worse and someone tells me it was a great putt. They might be trying to cheer me up but we're still competing and they prob just gained 2-3 strokes on me in 5 minutes too. When that happens, the irony makes me mental.

• Watch everyone else's throws, if possible. Then, when someone loses sight of their disc, the max # of people have a general idea where to look for it.

• Always help cardmates look for lost discs. It's sporting and makes the round proceed faster.

• Don't take longer than 30 seconds to throw.

• Buy a PDGA rulebook, read it and put it in your bag. They come with your PDGA membership or you can buy them online for <$5.

• No matter how badly you're playing, or how little fun you're having, always complete the tournament unless you're injured or some other emergency comes up. My dad taught me when I was young that playing sports requires you to enter an informal contract with your competitors. The contract is that everyone in the competition agrees to compete as hard as possible for the duration of the competition - that's it. The important point to consider is that when you're playing sports, you're not just there to win for yourself, you're there to provide competition to all the other players, even the players at the bottom of the table. It's funny but his lesson about not quitting a competition, that he taught me when I was playing little league, didn't come into focus until I began playing disc golf as an adult. I think it's because I mostly played team sports growing up and quitting was never really an option. But playing disc golf, on your own, without teammates or coaches, requires everyone to compete as hard as possible until the final throw. Otherwise, what's the point of it all?

Latest posts