• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Idea.... a challenge to the PGA

Chuckers v.s. Duffers Golf Challenge Format...

• Ryder Cup Match Play with a team of ball v.s. disc

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Best Disc/Best Ball doubles

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Traditional tournament with 2 rounds of each type of golf

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Worse disc/ball doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The PGA has always regaded Disc Golf as like a red headed step child and never taken us seriously. Although I think this is an excelent idea, I think it's still a few years down the road.

I have seen weight lifting and running challenges where you have to run a mile and every second under 10:00 minutes counts as XX ounces off. and in another format every pound you lift takes off X.X seconds off of your mile time.

This is fun idea for a local tournament, but I wouldn't care to see Tiger pick up a Teebird, or Climo try to chip his way out of a sand trap. As far as I'm concerned, any type of golf makes for a lousy spectator sport.

There have been ball golf/disc golf challenges every few years since the mid-90s where players play their own sport on a ball golf course that has some special tees and temp baskets added. The matches have been surprisingly competitive with DG and BG players each winning sometimes, rarely by more than a few shots.

I host an electronic Trigolfalon on Super Bowl Sunday afternoon each year with some of my geezer buddies where we play computerized disc golf (Innova or TW version), ball golf (TW) and minigolf. I want to do it outdoors sometime but just haven't gotten it together yet.

They did an ace race/CTP in Macon (I believe) with golf and disc on a short golf par 3, apparently it was a huge downhill onto an island.

One of our local pros got 3rd I think.

We have done this before, it wasn't a tournament but it was a bachelor party with some friends. Some who were ball golfers, and some who were disc golfers.

The baskets are tucked away nicely to give disc golfers there own set of challenges and the course isn't nearly as long as what the ball golfers played. Scores were really close with the disc golfers winning by a few.

We played here, it was a blast. Old English Golf Course Dave Greenwell designed it a few years ago, we played sand traps and across cart paths OB. I took my fair shares of OB. Each sports offers different challenges. Of course a 25' putt in golf is much tougher than a 25' putt in DG.

Climo took a drop in 3 on his hole from the blacks.. he threw a wraith about 450' and then rolled one up under the basket. Rollers on a golf course are just sick. And its definitely the signature hole at about 1200' from the blacks. Hole 7

Last edited:
Not to be a nay sayer but no Pro Golfers would try to play Disc Golf. Not knowing how to throw could easily injure their arms and had a big negative effect on their pro golf careers.

Take a Ball/Disc course that exists and each pro play 18 holes of their respective sport but mash a Disc and Ball player on one doubles team. After the round you combine the Ball score with the Disc score to determine the winner. Disc'r plays the DGC set par and Baller plays their set par.

I think that would be sick to see Tiger cheering on Climo while Climo cheers on Tiger to make that long putt!

Not to be a nay sayer but no Pro Golfers would try to play Disc Golf. Not knowing how to throw could easily injure their arms and had a big negative effect on their pro golf careers.

Take a Ball/Disc course that exists and each pro play 18 holes of their respective sport but mash a Disc and Ball player on one doubles team. After the round you combine the Ball score with the Disc score to determine the winner. Disc'r plays the DGC set par and Baller plays their set par.

I think that would be sick to see Tiger cheering on Climo while Climo cheers on Tiger to make that long putt!

The Climo family only whispers, his partner would need oversized ears too.

As has been said earlier in this thread, Bubba Watson plays both sports.

I must have missed that, thanks for pointing it out to me... It really made a difference.

Great for Bubba, he knows how to throw a disc I assume. Tiger I assume does not.

Latest posts