• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Towels, a problem for rookies

robbnot

our club holds a theory session(as it's to dark to play after work) for the newbies and rookies, we talked about the discs they use, explained why they do what they do,
ie. Why John's Tee-Bird turns over etc...
Anyway, Sam pointed out that she has four towels in her bag !!?
When I asked her why? ... Because she has to dry her disc twice as much,
So.
Disc golf towels* a necessity in a player pack :hfive:
*plural

And pick up every dead leaf in the forest on your way past. :p

Yeah, i had a few of those but I ditched them after a short time,they were so annoying. I did find some from Innova that I believe are micro-fibre but they feel suede-like. They really absorb water well, and don't pick up dead leaves or any other course debris. Really impressed with these after using the others that felt like terry cloth, but were billed as micro-fibre.

Yeah, i had a few of those but I ditched them after a short time,they were so annoying. I did find some from Innova that I believe are micro-fibre but they feel suede-like. They really absorb water well, and don't pick up dead leaves or any other course debris. Really impressed with these after using the others that felt like terry cloth, but were billed as micro-fibre.

I've got one of the innova micro fibers that picks up all the leaves.... it mostly stays in my bag. I picked up some cheap golf towels from walmart that work much better. The other version of the innova towels are cool, I just can't seem to find any in my local shops. In Oregon, towels are a must. I wish my friends would stop asking to borrow mine and bring their own!

Best Advice on towels:
There is a thing called a Grommet Kit available at most sewing/craft/hobby stores.

Acquire one of these sets - Grommet Set size Large - includes the metal pin Setter, the eyelet and washers, as well as the stabilizing Anvil piece. The starter set likely comes with 10 grommet washer sets.

Learn how this works. Then… grab a hammer and make as many grommeted towels as you can imagine. Microfiber, sueded, terrycloth, in red, blue, print, green, neon, team colors, hawaiian print, endless options. Browse dollar stores and make some sham wow ones, try some different fabrics out and see what you like. Cut them exactly to the size you want. Buy extra eyelet washers as needed. Overcome the drying out period by volume and having lots of towels.

Pair these towels with their new grommeted openings with carabiner clips from the hardware store (the dollar or less but sturdy cost range ones)

And who says its one towel per carabiner - maybe loop on two or more layers and make a multi leaved one. The clip makes it easy to clip to your bag or a belt loop.

Best of luck. Find what you like.

Train your hand muscle and skin - and you will never need a towel again...
I'm working in vegetable farming- hands are often wet and dirty and you still have to work. I never had issues to grab any disc no matter if it is wet, cold or dirty or altogether. The only reason to clean the discs is that I don't want a big mess in my bag.

get a putter towel from ball golf 2;00 at dunams and comes with the clip and grommet,,much smaller that regular golf towels .. remember putter towel

It seems like the word "microfiber" gets thrown around pretty liberally. When I think of micrfiber towel I think of the suede type cloth. I use a microfiber/travel towel and it works great. It condenses down to practically nothing, wicks water away great, and drys out very fast. No need for multiple towels if you're rocking one of these in your bag.

Got a buddy in Portland who swears by Sham-wows. Cuts a new one in half, grommets 'em, and one goes on each bag.

Train your hand muscle and skin - and you will never need a towel again...
I'm working in vegetable farming- hands are often wet and dirty and you still have to work. I never had issues to grab any disc no matter if it is wet, cold or dirty or altogether. The only reason to clean the discs is that I don't want a big mess in my bag.

The mess in the bag is part of it. But the discs just feel different too when they are dirty. I wash my discs before every tournament because the plastic feels almost new again after washing.

If the dirt patches are big enugh, they can actually change the flight of your disc.

To keep the bag and the towel cleen-ish, always take the big patches of dirt off with your hand before using your towel.

kDhZVNj.jpg

I usualy use my wifes old dish towels. I am trying out the Buzzz towel that came in the last Ace Race players pack though.

I always find it amusing when someone asks to use my towel, and I decline. Bring your own towel noobs.

It seems like the word "microfiber" gets thrown around pretty liberally. When I think of micrfiber towel I think of the suede type cloth. I use a microfiber/travel towel and it works great. It condenses down to practically nothing, wicks water away great, and drys out very fast. No need for multiple towels if you're rocking one of these in your bag.

I second this. I'm using http://www.rei.com/product/830599/packtowl-personal-towel and they are amazing. They come in different sizes and have a built in snap so they can be attached to your bag.

Got a buddy in Portland who swears by Sham-wows. Cuts a new one in half, grommets 'em, and one goes on each bag.

For very wet courses YES! (Although I just buy the cheap synthetic chamois from Walmart.) For the most part I carry a terry cloth and keep a spare in the truck.

Why purchase when you can just pick up random ones you find on the course? ;):sick:

Latest posts