• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trends in Disc Golf

You've got to wonder at what point players who carry 30 or more discs aren't handicapping themselves. All that extra weight, even if it's on a rollcart, all those extra decisions, for what gain?

As with most things, Less Is More...

What courses are you playin'?:confused:

You know how we do it in Southern California.... bikini babes on every hole!!!

As with most things, Less Is More...

You know how we do it in Southern California.... bikini babes on every hole!!!

DUH! If I had paid more attention to your location, I wouldn't have asked such a stupid question. :doh:

When I started the trend was to throw Orcs and Crushes. Then it went to Wraiths and Surges, then Destroyers, then Bosses and now Nukes and Katanas. Every time the excuse that "but if I get a few extra feet then they're worth throwing." The funny thing is the average distance people are throwing hasn't seemed to change much.

When I started the trend was to throw Orcs and Crushes. Then it went to Wraiths and Surges, then Destroyers, then Bosses and now Nukes and Katanas. Every time the excuse that "but if I get a few extra feet then they're worth throwing." The funny thing is the average distance people are throwing hasn't seemed to change much.

I'm pretty sure that trend will continue... every time the new sick disc comes out all the noodle arm n00bs just gotta rush out and get it. I'm a noodle arm but I know for sure the Nuke isn't for me.
Most of the negative trends posted here mostly apply to newer players. We should all make the effort to educate the newer players, explain etiquette, and give good positive advice/feedback and maybe we'll see some of these trends stop. Probably not and I'm sure the next time I go out to play a round I'll run into some 6 month player trying to huck a Destroyer or a Max and failing miserably. Then they'll go out to get the "hottest" disc and continue to do the exact same thing thinking that "Yeah, this Predator is totally gonna increase my distance."

Honestly, I've never followed any trend in my life, whether disc golf or not, so I could care less about what goofy things others are doing out on the course. As long as the trend doesn't become everyone smoking meth, then I think we'll all be OK.

Last edited:
Also...back in the late 80's there was a trend where everyone threw rollers...all players had a roller shot in their bag. Now, I rarely see players throw rollers.

On wooded courses I throw quite a few forehand rollers. I am also a big fan of thumbers but agree with the posted who said pick your spots to use them (Riney B #4). Banshees & Firebirds are great for both shots.

It has reached a point where there is a larger target market for "Disc Golf" products. There are more people with less knowledge/skill that will rush out and buy the newest equipment because they gotta have it. It is turning into regular golf. New equipment all the time, when tiger woods could hand you your @** with a 5 iron and a putter.

Most people think throwing in a field is boring. I like it beause you have room to make mistakes, and you are not in anyones way, and you can try the same thing over and over till you get it right.

We are fortunate to live 2 blocks from my daughter's school. It has a huge open field with nice mowed grass and there is a tree filled park that is hardly ever busy. It's the ideal practice grounds. Although we do get weird looks walking the 2 blocks with bags of discs. :p

I've been adding the FH back in... I played almost exclusively FH when I started and then when I decided to get serious I forced myself to learn BH... now I can't really FH that well so I'm re-learning it

i wish birdies were a trend i could follow more often in tournament play...

when people are starting out, they almost always throw forehand because it is a little easier for them. They just havent developed a good BH yet. Once they do they will change their mind. There is NO WAY a FH beats a BH in distance, I dont care who you are.

started out throwing FH. i have recently added the forehand back into my game instead of fiddling around throwing crappy anhyzers that don't go where i wanted them to. my game is improving again after stagnating. i dont understand why everyone doesnt switch betwixt the two depending on the hole. as far as the bags, yeah. everybody has em. with chairs built in and everything. i used to carry a double layered standard issue plastic grocery bag that i would just replace when it got worn out. didn't care about dropping into whatever either. i was trying to start a trend. it never caught on. now i put my discs in a square picnic cooler. i look like a 'tard but i got more game than half these chodes with their pretty sacks. screw image.

you see a lot of noobs these days trying to shape their shots a lot. everyone always talks about the big anhyzer s turn with an overstable disc so they feel they can pull it off. (learn to throw flat first folks)

least that's something i see a lot.

I've been playing for about 4.5 years and I throw both forhand and backhand. (backhand dominant)

Latest posts