• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trends in Disc Golf

Talk about pressure! I squeak one past the trees just in front of the tee and get it within putting range. Would definitely be easier teeing off in the finals of PDGA Worlds...

ha no kidding i hate playing through! i just wait.. :\

I have no problem with the thumbers, but when that's the only shot someone throws if they're farther than 50 feet from the basket it's pretty lame.

Thank god there aren't fashion trends in disc golf. Although I could totally see some goon busting out the pulled up socks look of Nikko Locastro. (I would totally cringe if I did see that...)

As far as throws and discs go, the biggest thing I see has already probably been mentioned:

Noobs throwing Champ Bosses FH.
These guys can crush that shot with that disc, but forget about mid-range or putting. I guess they've never heard the old saying "Drive for show, putt for dough"

Thank god there aren't fashion trends in disc golf. Although I could totally see some goon busting out the pulled up socks look of Nikko Locastro. (I would totally cringe if I did see that...)

A lot of Dgers wear high socks due to schule thorns and generally itchy plants...standing in a bush is a bit more tolerable with knee highs on.....not sure if this is why Nikki does this but I would not doubt it.

I went to pro worlds and i did see a LOT of ppl wearing knee highs. Also a lot of people wear black socks in the 90+ degree weather. I'm not sure if they are special socks that keep their feet dry and cool or what.

And on the glove thing, I have seen 2 people do this at my local course. The second one did it because he saw the first one do it. He did it for one shot and took it off right after. But he is also a big dbag who thinks he is the towns best dg'er so... The one guy plays decent and always wears his glove.

Somehow this thread was completely jacked.

I second the notion about DG bags growing exponentially. When I first started playing, you never saw bags that could carry more than 10 discs or so. Now bags with straps are everywhere (which is how mine is as well).

Another trend within disc golf itself is longer courses--it makes sense, since the discs they are making can travel farther, but as it has been discussed many times on this site, the old courses were all par 3 exclusive courses.

When I started playing in tournaments and leagues is when players stopped carrying discs in duffel bags and start carrying the first exclusive Disc Golf bag...the 'Original" Round Bag out of Texas.

Also...back in the late 80's there was a trend where everyone threw rollers...all players had a roller shot in their bag. Now, I rarely see players throw rollers.

second the notion about DG bags growing exponentially. When I first started playing, you never saw bags that could carry more than 10 discs or so. Now bags with straps are everywhere (which is how mine is as well).

I only carry 10 discs but still use a tourney bag...it is more comfortable to wear with lots of water and I can stash all my crap in it. Hell, I went out and played a 3 disc round yesterday and still took a Innova Std. bag because I hate having to put down the water and throw the discs on the ground every throw.

As far as the FH, Overhand stuff goes I think that it mostly has to do with our sports backgrounds. Most Americans (the primary players of disc golf) have experience throwing a baseball, football, or other kind of pitching motion and the these shots are just natural. The muscle memory is already there and they see their throw go 230 feet and think "I should just do that" because they have developed no muscle memory for their BH and it just goes 150.

I've found that I can teach most people to throw about 250 in 2-3 weeks because the basics of the mechanics can get it that far. Its the refinement of those mechanics that gets the disc farther and most people whimp out and opt for a backhand because it is an instant pleasure that doesn't actually require the effort.

Also
I second the notion about DG bags growing exponentially. When I first started playing, you never saw bags that could carry more than 10 discs or so. Now bags with straps are everywhere (which is how mine is as well).

I have one thing to say about this... Golf Mahal. Actually I have a couple of things. I think we may see a few more huge bags but I think with the advent of Grip we'll begin to see somewhat of a reduction/leveling out of bag size... unless the carts catch on. Saw a dude a couple of weeks ago with a modified golf cart carrying 80 discs... we could look nuts if we're not careful...

Saw a dude a couple of weeks ago with a modified golf cart carrying 80 discs... we could look nuts if we're not careful...

I live in a community where disc is relatively new, but growing quickly and I am constantly talking it up to people trying to boost local interest. I have had 3 guys in the last couple of weeks say that they wouldn't play without a cart...just thought it was funny to hear there is someone out there using one. Maybe that is a trend that will catch on=)

Saw a dude a couple of weeks ago with a modified golf cart carrying 80 discs... we could look nuts if we're not careful...

I think Disc Golf or the PDGA specifically should start to limit the number of Discs one can carry in a tournament round. The PGA limits the amount of clubs and the amount of golf balls players can carry.

I was playing a tournament one time where a player got into some trouble and commented, "I don't have a disc for this shot." They were carrying 30 to 40 discs.

It's better to learn to throw one disc many ways than it is to learn to throw many discs one way.

I think Disc Golf or the PDGA specifically should start to limit the number of Discs one can carry in a tournament round. The PGA limits the amount of clubs and the amount of golf balls players can carry.

One distinction is that golfers rarely lose their clubs into water or thick woods. Disc golf on certain courses and you need to carry spares, as you're bound to finish with fewer than you started.

I was playing a tournament one time where a player got into some trouble and commented, "I don't have a disc for this shot." They were carrying 30 to 40 discs.

It's better to learn to throw one disc many ways than it is to learn to throw many discs one way.

One distinction is that golfers rarely lose their clubs into water or thick woods. Disc golf on certain courses and you need to carry spares, as you're bound to finish with fewer than you started.

While I agree with both of these points, I do have to say that if you're carrying 30+ discs and you lose one and then claim you don't have a "disc for that shot", then you probably have some issues with your basic game. It sucks when you lose that seasoned driver into the lake, but if you can't make the other 30 discs work for that shot, then you have bigger problems than just a lost disc...

You've got to wonder at what point players who carry 30 or more discs aren't handicapping themselves. All that extra weight, even if it's on a rollcart, all those extra decisions, for what gain?

Latest posts