• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Trilogy discs recommendation

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
Question for anyone with experience throwing trilogy discs. I recently cashed in a dd sponsored event and have nice chunk of cash to spend on the dd website. Need some advice on what discs to get.

My bag is pretty set for putting putters, control mids and drivers. Only dd disc I throw is a couple harps, one in vip and a beat one in orgio. I find that to be a nice OS approach combo but the orgio harp has lost most of its hookup and the vip is still super beefy. So first question is- what harp plastic would you suggest to slot in between those two?

Lastly, I wouldn't mind finding a driving putter that cycles nicely, less stable than a harp, but more beefy than a dx aviar. I've been cycling aviars and they are my main putting putter, but I'd like to find a slightly more stable driving putter. I've tried dx rhynos but they get really straight, really quick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trilogy doesn't have much in the overstable putter department. I have a very beat up prime Judge that still has Gentle stability, and won't turn easily- pretty nice for driving if you like the bead (turns out I don't). I'd rather throw the Harp off the tee. I've heard people throw the Caltrop, but I don't have experience. If you can get a Discontinued Slammer before they're gone (They are on the shelf at the DD store in Kansas City), might be worthwhile. It's like a Pig with the lip on top.

I bag two Hard Harps, one super beat, and one newish. The super beat one still has a bit of high speed stability, though I wouldn't trust it into a strong headwind.

I like to sand the rough spots on my putters when they get chewed up by the rocks on my local courses. It may be just me, but sanding the rough spots on the edges of putters seems to cause them to regain a bit of stability. You might try that on your Origio Harp to see if it makes a difference.

BT Hard Harp, VIP Shield.

If you have extra cash and want to get something for fun, Opto X Pure. Excellent mold, versatile, fun to throw for putter only rounds.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed they have some X out crowns for 6 bucks a pop. Anyone throw a crown? Good advice on the shield, I've thrown a shield and really liked it. Opto pure looks interesting for sure

BT hard is a great tweener Harp, I would go there for sure.

Crown and Shield could fit what your talking about as a driving putter, not OS but can take some power. The Slammer could also work, it's basically a Rhyno but in different plastics.

A Sinus might be worth a look. They have 3 different grip spots on the top. Some people like them, some don't. I still throw one from time to time.

If I was gonna get a trilogy disc, it would be a Pure for throwing. But I'm a sucker for glidey, hold the line putters. A couple dudes around here throw them, feels great in the hand too.

I have plenty of throwing putters though.

Trilogy doesn't have much in the overstable putter department. I have a very beat up prime Judge that still has Gentle stability, and won't turn easily- pretty nice for driving if you like the bead (turns out I don't). I'd rather throw the Harp off the tee. I've heard people throw the Caltrop, but I don't have experience. If you can get a Discontinued Slammer before they're gone (They are on the shelf at the DD store in Kansas City), might be worthwhile. It's like a Pig with the lip on top.

You've never thrown a Sinus. Great OS putter, a favorite of Dave Feldberg.

Anyone throw a crown?
I played this year's Trilogy Challenge and have been throwing the Hybrid Crown since then to test it out. It's very similar to the Shield, which was a favorite throwing putter of mine. The Crown still has its gentle fade to it so it feels like a slightly worn in Shield, but a bit shallower with a little more of a bead.

Side note: I did win a share of an Ace/CTP at the Trilogy Challenge throwing the Crown which got me $100. :D

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed they have some X out crowns for 6 bucks a pop. Anyone throw a crown? Good advice on the shield, I've thrown a shield and really liked it. Opto pure looks interesting for sure

I bagged Crowns for a season. It's a great, underrated mold. I ultimately moved onto Judges because:
a) I wanted more plastic options and a more reliable inventory, and this was pre-Nikko so Crowns were only available in a couple plastics and were often sold out; and
b) I wanted something a little slower, more workable, and that would beat into understable.

From what you're describing, a couple Crowns in different plastic types would be perfect for you. I think of the Crown as a "Judge Pro" - similar hand feel and flies just a touch faster with more late-flight fade. Also a great putting putter on a breezy day if you like a bead.

I bagged Crowns for a season. It's a great, underrated mold. I ultimately moved onto Judges because:
a) I wanted more plastic options and a more reliable inventory, and this was pre-Nikko so Crowns were only available in a couple plastics and were often sold out; and
b) I wanted something a little slower, more workable, and that would beat into understable.

From what you're describing, a couple Crowns in different plastic types would be perfect for you. I think of the Crown as a "Judge Pro" - similar hand feel and flies just a touch faster with more late-flight fade. Also a great putting putter on a breezy day if you like a bead.

Great info, appreciate it!

One last question for you trilogy experts....if one wanted a trilogy disc that was closest to a champion rancho roc, what disc would that be? Maybe a bard? Wouldn't mind finding something OS between my vip harp and my champ eagle

One last question for you trilogy experts....if one wanted a trilogy disc that was closest to a champion rancho roc, what disc would that be? Maybe a bard? Wouldn't mind finding something OS between my vip harp and my champ eagle

Edit: I throw the Harp and the champ Eagle. The Verdict is overstable with glide in between those two. Lucid-X is fantastic. After lots and lots of tree hits, the fade mellows just a hair.

Last edited:

Tournament Bard is very close. The Origio ones are super flat and good for FH but the TP ones are awesome as a champ Roc replacement. I got fed up with paying for USDGC rocs a few years ago and switched to Bards and never looked back.

Anchor could work too, but it's got a funkier hand feel.

Ended up grabbing a stack of X out crowns for $6.99 a pop in Orgio plastic. These things feel and fly fantastic. Also, really impressed with Orgio...as a baseline plastic it does not get enough love. Feels like a better kc pro to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk