• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tristan Tanner: Worth studying...

DiscFifty

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUG1DInqe-A

If you haven't watched this 20 year old play, you're in for something special imop. He's almost a direct opposite of Eagle in regards to his form. Eagle looks all huck face, quick, powering, etc. Where Tristan's form is slow...methodically slow, relaxed, and then bam...450+ ft.

I think this form is something much easier to study, duplicate, etc, because...well...it's already in slow motion. :thmbup:

I was thinking something similar. Sexton mentioned during commentary that they (Tanner & Eagle) actually play a lot together apparently.

1) I wonder if there is a difference in strain on the body?

2) Are slow methodical movements more amenable to muscle memory (and therefore perhaps consistency) or are fast and furious movements moreso?

3) Is his distance really comparable to Eagle's? I look forward to seeing them on the same card.

I bag 6 destroyers and I've recently been trying to convert over to the trilogy brand discs. I throw roughly a 500 foot hyzer and my max distance maxes out at around 620. I only throw very overstable pop top destroyers what can i get that can replicate that in trilogy?

I remembered his name from a few years back. He posted on here and everyone, including me, assumed he was trolling. (He was shooting mid 800 rounds at the time...)

I was most impressed by his controlled and defensive play. He doesn't simply crush his drives out, hoping for the best, but plays smart golf. Rather leverages on the fact that he can throw with 60% power where others have to throw with 90% power, or he can go hyzer where others have to throw flexshots. It paid out for him, simply by avoiding mistakes.

His form's the perfect argument against RUN-ups: simply not necessary.

I was most impressed by his putting style and accuracy. His putting is smooth as butter, and I get the feeling we're going to be seeing him a lot more on lead or chase cards in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUG1DInqe-A

If you haven't watched this 20 year old play, you're in for something special imop. He's almost a direct opposite of Eagle in regards to his form. Eagle looks all huck face, quick, powering, etc. Where Tristan's form is slow...methodically slow, relaxed, and then bam...450+ ft.

I think this form is something much easier to study, duplicate, etc, because...well...it's already in slow motion. :thmbup:

are you sure eagle has a huge fast stressful run up? maybe james conrad but eagle actually has a pretty controlled slower run up and then mashes.

He definitely played Las Vegas Challenge courses very well. Now I want to see him play some tight wooded courses.
At 20 years old he has a great upside. He made a fan out of me.

Agreed. I hope to see more of him. Anyone know if he's touring full time? I think they said he's from Colorado. So hopefully we can see him on some of the courses out east or at least BSF.

I just got done watching him play the vegas tournament. Really impressive, pretty certain we'll be seeing him on a lot more lead cards soon.

Tristan has been bombing for a while, and was good last year but was hurt. See here:

Also has a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopBrBgTD__-k-mMX4JI5xw

Seems like a chill guy.

From what it seems to me, his walk up (instead of run up) is for control. I mean, if you can throw 500' hyzers with a walk up, how many holes would you need to run up?

Now that I think about that question, half of the holes at Vegas come to mind. But its still for control.

are you sure eagle has a huge fast stressful run up? maybe james conrad but eagle actually has a pretty controlled slower run up and then mashes.

I would certainly agree with your description to describe Conrad, he throws balls out for sure. lol.. I was trying to compare Eagle and Tristan because they are similar age and have to my eyes at least....vastly different forms. Eagle seems to take faster longer strides, where Tristan's are shorter, slower, etc.

I think you're confusing the difference in speed to difference in form. Their forms are not that different. He even straightens his trail leg as Eagle does.

All the pros are doing the same fundamental moves.

Tristan's form could be even better if he strided straighter and cleared his body out of the way, certainly helps being a big young athletic guy. He's got the kinetic sequence down, but his stride is moving too leftward so his body is moving across the arm/disc swing path and he hooks everything right/hyzer.

I just watched the video from above and was gonna post a thread about it. Good thing I searched first!

Anyway I found it quite informative and appreciated how he broke down the individual components of his throw. It helped me to really see him turning away almost 180 from the target to get his hips loaded while walking around the disc. He also has a great forehand video too.

https://youtu.be/NPBfnzVF3Pc

Tristan's form could be even better if he strided straighter and cleared his body out of the way, certainly helps being a big young athletic guy. He's got the kinetic sequence down, but his stride is moving too leftward so his body is moving across the arm/disc swing path and he hooks everything right/hyzer.

Hey Sidewinder, can you explain in more detail WHY you say it's bad that he strides so far diagonally left, "across his body" as you say? I see Simon do this a lot, Tristan and some others, and just wondering what problems that is causing him? And what would be better by striding a bit straighter?

I see all sorts of different strides or run ups from pros. Some are more diagonal left, some just a little, and some almost dead straight down the line. Yet they all throw really well and far. So is this something that is going to CAUSE distance and consistency losses? Or is it just not "perfect" form? Trying to figure out if it's just a small nuanced change he could make, or a large fundamental flaw that will cause him/us a loss of distance/accuracy/consistency?

And what do you mean by "clearing his body out of the way"?

Tristan is someone that has always intrigued me. His swing is so simple, smooth and slow. Looks effortless and yet he can throw very far.

Thanks

20 degree diagonal to the trajectory is probably optimal. Tristan is more like 40 degree.
m8Ntq28.png

Note how TT's front leg is still closed/stuck in the followthru and has to rise vertically because he can't pivot/rotate thru. Note how Simon and Drew front leg clears open and they "stay down" as they pivot/rotate thru. Tristan has a tendency to accidentally pull/hook his shots to the right and probably more susceptible to injury.
TW6m7S6.png

Hey Sidewinder, can you explain in more detail WHY you say it's bad that he strides so far diagonally left, "across his body" as you say? I see Simon do this a lot, Tristan and some others, and just wondering what problems that is causing him? And what would be better by striding a bit straighter?

I see all sorts of different strides or run ups from pros. Some are more diagonal left, some just a little, and some almost dead straight down the line. Yet they all throw really well and far. So is this something that is going to CAUSE distance and consistency losses? Or is it just not "perfect" form? Trying to figure out if it's just a small nuanced change he could make, or a large fundamental flaw that will cause him/us a loss of distance/accuracy/consistency?

And what do you mean by "clearing his body out of the way"?

Tristan is someone that has always intrigued me. His swing is so simple, smooth and slow. Looks effortless and yet he can throw very far.

Thanks

I think what generally happens is that it is too easy to have miss releases that go right. If you stride to diagonally the body is in the way and to compensate you might lift the backfoot and spin a few degrees before releasing down your line. Since we are talking very minute timing details and somewhat situational factors Tanners stride is not going to be a huge problem but still consistency is the key to good results so given the chance it is better to use less diagonally movement.

How far you throw I dont think really would need to be impaired to much from this type of stride since it is more just the orientation that is different and not the length and he has super good timing.

Latest posts