• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble switching for Buzzz to Roc.

Yeah, I was going to say one of the major differences between the two is that Buzzzes are always flat as a pancake, where most Sharks I see have at least a moderate dome. Thanks for the info discspeed.

how many of you guys carry a roc and a buzz?

Only if I'm playing a tournament like The Memorial. I'd toss a few dx rocs and dx tee birds in the bag on extreme water courses that I'm not familiar with. Though I don't play many tournaments anymore and when I do it is local courses.

The Shark has got the funkiest wing in disc golf other than the Monarch/Groove. No one has yet or probably ever will copy that. The Buzzz on the other hand has perhaps the most common wing shape in disc golf--curved concave bevel(like the Roc/Cobra and many mids to come out since). The Shark has a tapering curved nose where the Buzzz is squared off and thicker...Though the Shark does not have a traditional bead, it has a weird extension on the bottom that makes it feel beaded in the hand.

Compared side to side with the entire family of Rocs including the Shark the Buzzz is like a flat topped beadless Rancho with a slightly thicker nose. IMO Discraft was thinking of a flat Ching Rancho Roc when they took the bead off the Wasp, added a nose spacer, and made sure they were flat(Buzzz). Those Rocs were probably the most popular mid in MI at the time the Buzzz came out.

Shark = Buzzz is just one of those weird myths that I'm surprised has stuck around...It's pretty much as absurd as the TL-Leopard bottom myth.

The Fuse wing and the MD1 wing both look similar to the Shark. The Hawk wing is also kinda sorta similar.

good analogy at the end about the Leopard bottom.

I don't, but I could see where someone would. I don't have anything against the buzzz, it just doesn't fit in my bag. The only shot a buzzz would add is a slightly longer straight shot. I'd rather throw a driver less than full power, than try to throw max D with the buzzz. For obvious control reasons.

I can't see a buzzz being useful to a Roc fan just because a Roc can be beaten to a state where it can pull off a lot of the shots the Buzzz is better for when new. The key to the popularity of the Roc is the versatility, and while the Buzzz is also very versatile, the Roc's initial stability/overstability gives it at least one line that the Buzzz is less than ideal for. A player who isn't a particular fan of either could use a newer or premium plastic Roc along with a Buzzz and benefit from having both.

champion shark=excellent disc, very straight then slight fade. Never had tried the buzz.

Yep, beat up a DX Roc and it will glide for days

Rocs definitely benefit from a bit of "seasoning," and once you knock some turn into them, they do give you more glide. But the Buzzz is probably a longer disc, all things being equal. As for me, when I need to drive it a little farther than I can get out of my DX Rocs, I reach for a Cyclone. Cyclones have a very similar feel in my hand to Rocs, and you can go overstable/understable with an ESP/Pro-D combination. I've posted elsewhere about hating Discraft D plastic, but I'm finally learning to like my D Cyclone. Just don't expect it to take tree hits much better than a bar of soap.

I've posted elsewhere about hating Discraft D plastic, but I'm finally learning to like my D Cyclone. Just don't expect it to take tree hits much better than a bar of soap.

:clap:

That's the truth, Ruth. Especially for drivers in D. It seems like you can just push your thumbnail right into the edge of them. I don't know if they changed the blend for a while or what, but I only started throwing Buzz's last year after I got a couple of Ice Bowl extras on the cheap. They've held up way better than I expected. Other D discs, not so much. :\

Back to the point, I think that's how rocs and buzzs can co-exist. I used to use a fresh KC pro for stable/overstable shots and the D buzz for longer, straighter lines. I still like the buzz for the straight stuff or low lines, but picked up a star roc and it's an even better compliment, IMO. The star is nice and overstable and has less glide than the stiff KC pro, so it's easier to range. I expect the softer, midrange star blend to absorb hits better and not chip/dent like the pro does with a good whack. The grip is excellent in that blend, as well.

The only star midranges that I've thrown have been the roc and mako and they've both been in that softer, grippier blend. Does anybody know if all mids use that blend or only certain molds? If so, when does the plastic switch to the stiffer blend? I wish is could get a teebird in the softer stuff. That'd be $$$.

The Fuse wing and the MD1 wing both look similar to the Shark. The Hawk wing is also kinda sorta similar.

good analogy at the end about the Leopard bottom.

Does the MD1 have that weird grooved bevel that the Shark has on the underside of the wing? It looks like the top part of the mold overlaps the bottom on the bevel or something. I don't think I've paid that close attention to the MD1. The Fuse and Hawk have similar profiles, but they don't have that weird thing on the bevel.

I know what bevel you speak of and to me it looks like they stuck a spacer in the Roc mold to keep plastic from filling into the bead cavity of the mold. no the MD1 doesn't have that "groove/bevel".

After some work with the rocs I got the distance I was looking for just had to give it more height and a little more snap I love them, they seem to hold a line beautifully.

Latest posts