• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Troy, MI Saturday September 17

ejvogie

Lifer
Premium Member
My wife is taking a professional licensure exam Saturday at Noon, so I'll be bagging a course or 3. Starting at Firefighters. Looking for other suggestions, or perhaps a guide or 2

Late notice I know, but there's no minute like the last, right?

My wife is taking a professional licensure exam Saturday at Noon, so I'll be bagging a course or 3. Starting at Firefighters. Looking for other suggestions, or perhaps a guide or 2

Late notice I know, but there's no minute like the last, right?

I have family plans, or I'd definitely hook up with you.

If there isn't much traffic (i.e. early), Fire Fighters is a quick round, but it can get busy later in the day.

Not a fan of Grizzly Oaks. It doesn't suck, but I don't think it's as good as the RIP'd course, and navigation can be tricky in a few spots.

Bald Mountain (about 20-25 min from Fire Fighters) may only be 13 holes, but it's pretty serious disc golf. State park requires Rec Passport or entry fee, but I'd be surprised if there's anybody at the booth collecting/enforcing this late in the year. If it were 18 holes, it'd be in the running for one of the area's best.

Hawthorne's good, with a lot of variety.
Nav's tricky at times, but the DG itself is pretty solid.

Stony Creek (30-35 min from Fire Fighters) has two best courses in the area. Requires Metropark annual pass (or $10/car) + $3 for disc golf (single fee covers both courses). Always in great shape.

Haven't played Riverbends in years.

Noticed you haven't played Wagner or Starr-Jaycee Park.

Both are listed as 18, but are actually niners with dual tees. Quite a few of the tees are completely different looks, but many are basically long/short.

Both are pretty decent, moderately wooded, and usually pretty quick to play "all 18" if you think you might be pressed for time. Also minimizes drive time if you're intent on bagging three courses, and have to get back pick up the Mrs.

Note: Starr drains like crap. Avoid if there's been rain in the area.

Last edited:
Damn, vogie....I have a swat golf outing. Loved to have joined you. I would suggest Stoney. Terrific courses, great amenities, easy to get to. Starr and Wagner are essentially pitch and putt, but both decent ones. Raintree is another pitch and putt. Hawthorne is very good course, but navigation is a touch tricky. I would add Addison Oaks to Bogey's list. A former World's course. It has had a redesign recently, that I have not played though. Riverbends is a solid choice. A bit rough around the edges, but it floods biblically if it has rained.