• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Truly Soft Plastics

Countchunkula

Base Plastic Don't Come Free
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Backstory:
We recently replaced our rotted, wooden fence with a white pvc fence. The new fence looks great, but I'm worried that my backyard disc golf practice will change that quickly. With the old fence, I never worried about hard impacts from careless throws. I'd hate to crack the new fence or leave scuffs on it from disc hits. I don't want to give up backyard practice, but I really don't want to ruin the new fence.

Question:
What I'm thinking of doing is getting a stack of soft, white putters and using only those in the backyard. I'm talking truly soft plastic; not grippy but firm like some of the Gateway blends. I've thrown Blowflys in the past and don't really like them, so they are out. R-Pro would work, but I'm having trouble finding white and am not adverse to trying new discs. What truly soft plastic blends are out there (has to come in white to qualify)?

Can I ask why white? IIRC that's one of the colors truly soft plastics seldom come in...

If you really care about your putting, enough to care about practicing, you're not going to want to switch putters just to avoid the fence. Can you cover the fence with some old sheets or something while you putt (block the fence somehow), or just not putt to that side of the basket, move the basket to a different spot...I don't know. Find a way to keep using your favorite putter.

Megasoft/BT Soft are probably your best shot. I use Megasoft Swan2 when it gets cold and they fly well.

Another vote for Megasoft. It's practically as soft as cheese. If R-Pro would work, regular Zero Soft should also work, and the Soft Pure I have happens to be white.

Can I ask why white? IIRC that's one of the colors truly soft plastics seldom come in...

The fence is white. If I end up with any scuffs, I'd rather they are the same color as the fence. When I was remodeling my last house, I had a basket in the basement for breaks. By the time I was done, there was a rainbow of disc scuffs on the wall behind. It was easy enough to repaint the wall (and fill the couple of gouges), but the whole point of getting the plastic fence was that it is basically no maintenance.

If you really care about your putting, enough to care about practicing, you're not going to want to switch putters just to avoid the fence. Can you cover the fence with some old sheets or something while you putt (block the fence somehow), or just not putt to that side of the basket, move the basket to a different spot...I don't know. Find a way to keep using your favorite putter.

go to Harbor Freight and buy a couple of cheap moving blankets. should be enough protection, but not heavy enough to stress your fence.

It's not just for putting, otherwise these solutions would totally work. The longest shot I can do in the backyard is 150' or so. This is with the basket about 20' from the deepest corner. There are a few different tee locations that I use to change up the throw required. The anhyzer line especially results in the occasional fence hit.

I'm assuming you exhausted all versions of molds you already bag? Can we get an ITB so we can help you find similar molds if yes to my first question?

PVC is hard as hell. Ain't no disc going to damage it. I'd suggest a magic erasure to buff out any scuff marks.

Also, use the plastic you're going to throw on the course for your backyard practice.

I agree with the moving blankets, but if you really want to go soft but yet keep a similar hand feel, a Soft Electron Envy is the way to go. The rim is semi-firm whilst the core is soft. This allows the disc to act as a shock absorber. It won't hurt your fence and the rim will feel almost the same as a standard firmness disc.

Another plus is that you can have a white rim with a colored core. Inifinate Discs have some white rims in stock; Others probably do as well.

I'm assuming you exhausted all versions of molds you already bag? Can we get an ITB so we can help you find similar molds if yes to my first question?

What mold do you putt currently?

I've been using R-Pro Aviars for the past few years as my putting and straight approach putters. These would be the obvious choice, but I'm having trouble finding max weights in white. I'm not married to them though, which is part of the reason why I ask. I used SSS Voodoos for a few years before switching to the Aviars. I prefer a softer putter and haven't really explored the offerings that have come out in recent years. I'd be open to a switch if the new putter was fence approved.

I'd bet it wouldn't take much more than a towel and some elbow grease during cleanup of the round of practice that had a hit to keep the posts mark free, regardless of the color of the mark. You could test it down low or on a scrap piece. Seems like a better first step at least than practicing with a different mold. Just a thought.

How soft are those plastics? Floppy soft?

Megasoft is definitely floppy. There's a significant gap between Megasoft and regular Zero/BT Soft, which is squishy and flexy but not floppy.

I hadn't thought of Electron Soft, which is dumb because I putt with Soft Pilots this time of year. It's a tick stiffer than Zero Soft.

PVC is hard as hell. Ain't no disc going to damage it. I'd suggest a magic erasure to buff out any scuff marks.

Also, use the plastic you're going to throw on the course for your backyard practice.

Tell that to my father in law please...

My champ Ape begs to differ.

Latest posts